For once Montreal and Boston fans can agree on something

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NBC has decided to showcase the winner of 'The Voice' by singing the national anthem at the Winter Classic. That is simply wrong.

Let's work together and send a message to NBC.

NBC-Allow Rene Rancourt and Ginette Reno to perform the anthems at the Winter Classic
https://www.change.org/p/nbc-bridge...utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

LETTER TO
NBC
Bridgestone

The NHL Winter Classic on NBC is a huge event looked forward to buy many hockey fans locally, nationally and worldwide. This year, the matchup is a big game between two of the oldest NHL teams. At Gillette Stadium on January 1st, the "home team" Boston Bruins and the Montréal Canadiens will match up in an "Original Six" battle on the ice. These two teams have probably the biggest and most well known rivalry in the history of the NHL. Instead of keeping to tradition at the biggest event of the NHL season before the Stanley Cup Playoffs by allowing each team to showcase their national anthem singers on such a huge stage, or even allowing the home team the "home ice advantage" of having their anthem singer perform, NBC has ditched Rene Rancourt who has sung the national anthem for over 35 years at Boston Bruins home games and not even considered Ginette Reno who sings at Canadiens playoff games in favor of the winner of the NBC series "The Voice" Hockey is about rivalry, excitement, passionate fans and most of all-tradition. Please NBC, allow the teams two Anthem singing stars to perform at the NHL Winter Classic. I'm sure you can squeeze the winner of "the voice" in somewhere during the program-but allow the fans of both teams and those around the world to see the proper, traditional start to a hockey game between the Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens looks and sounds like by allowing Rene Rancourt and Ginette Reno to perform their respective national anthems at the NHL Winter Classic.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Who the **** cares about anthems?

I can't wait for the day they are no longer a part of the game. There is 0 relevance.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
No. I ****ing hate Rancourt. Glad I don't have to see his ugly mug or have to listen to his terrible singing.

I also second the opinion that there shouldn't be anthems to begin with.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Yep I agree terrible choice. If you are going to be Bush League might as well make sure everyone knows it. Thanks Bettman great choice for carrying the game, as if Fox isn't craptacular enough. NESN almost seems reasonable.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
At least it won't be Sara Diamond. Can you imagine her singing at this? Habs would be the disgrace of the World.

If I'm forced to waste my time listening to two horrible songs that have nothing to do with a sport.. I might as well see a very pretty girl sing it.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
If I'm forced to waste my time listening to two horrible songs that have nothing to do with a sport.. I might as well see a very pretty girl sing it.

Her teeth scare me for some reason. I mute her when she is on so I can't tell how good or bad she was on any given night.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Look - I understand why many of you feel the anthems are a relic of the past and should be done away with. I don't agree with you but I respect your opinion.

That said - the game in Foxborough is to celebrate our rivalry and our shared history. Boston is actually a few miles closer to Montreal than Toronto is
4 h 51 min (308 miles) via I-89 N
5 h 22 min (337 miles) via ON-401 W

and there are many Habs fans in Northern New England.

The fanbases don't get along well as we all know but deep down there is a respect between us. Both fanbases have a lunatic fringe but generally it is civil.

Rene is way past his prime now - we know that and at times he reminds me of the Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz.

Bruins anthem singer Rene Rancourt not singing anthem at Winter Classic

Foxborough is going to be special as Gillette Stadium will be split down the middle between B's and Habs fans. I hope the fans coming down from Quebec will have an enjoyable time no matter what the score of the game is. Feel free to ask PM me to ask questions about Boston if you are coming down.

What I am saying is with all this history involved - why should the anthem singer be a 22 year old from Kentucky who happened to win a TV show?

Obviously I am a Bruins diehard but I have come to love the city of Montreal and I am a closet fan of Nos Amours and I really hope you get the Expos back as I went to many games at Stade Olympique.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Why is this a problem? Why do you care? Someone different is going to sing the anthem... so what? I thought the rivalry was caused because of the two teams playing against each other. I never though someone singing something would even matter. This is plain stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad