Speculation: Flyers popularity

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Interesting thread. The Flyers and hockey are #4 in the US of the 4 majors. In Philadelphia their is this notion among some, and you know who they are, that if you talk hockey you will shed listeners and by proxy is bad for ratings. I worked at WIP from 2000-2011 and was at the Fanatic since 2012 until a year ago full time. I will tell you that the local radio ratings and local TV ratings over the 20 years I have worked in SPORTSRADIO in Philadelphia far more often have favored the Flyers over the Sixers. Part of that was Bacine of the Process and that in the NBA of you are not a top tier team you can’t just go on a run and win it all like you can if make the playoffs in the NHL. THE Sixers became a trendy team with Embiid and Simmons and ratings and interest grew. Back in 2010 when the Flyers went to the Cup the radio ratings were through the roof. Not just the game ratings but station ratings as well and the Flyers were the #1 topic since the Boston series. Specialty Flyers shows that I hosted during the run were also very high.

somewhere around 2012 radio got even more infatuated with Eagles Eagles Eagles. The notion of “if you aren’t talking about the eagles” you will lose was inflated.

As a SPORTSRADIO host in this city for 20 years the reason I believe it is not discussed more is simple. As a host you do not want to put yourself in a position of weakness of knowledge. The job is to purport yourself as the expert. That is easier to do with the NFL, NBA and MLB. In hockey it is much more difficult for most hosts. And by virtue those whose knowledge is surface level don’t know how to shape the content to be compelling because they don’t know the issues and how to frame them. The number one reason it is not discussed more, make no mistake about it, is a lack of knowledge about the game. I was never and would never claim to be an NBA expert but that didn’t mean I couldn’t talk about it. We have too many “know it all” hosts who are afraid that if it looks like they don’t know it all or are not “right” about the analysis, that it makes them look bad.

anyway. Take that for what you will. Having lived on that side that is how I see it and it is unfortunate. The sport is great, the players compete their asses off and a lot are good citizens. I have caught a lot of shit through the years for flying the flag but I don’t give a shit. I love the sport. And I will not stop talking about it whenever I am on the air.

thanks for reading if you made it this far.
Wooo great post

Reactions: Sawdalite

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad