Speculation: Flyers popularity

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
I think we can all agree Eagles are first, but it's really hard to judge popularity. What is it based on? viewers, ticket sales, merchandise sold, social media followers? I am sure there is an algorithm out there which can use all of the above to crunch numbers, but ask any Philadelphia sports fan though, and you'll get a lot of different answers.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Which part I should laugh about this comment?
All of it because I'm f***ing hilarious

Philadelphia is a football town. Everything else comes next in varying degrees based on how good the team is. I'd say right now the Flyers are trending up in "popularity" i.e. number of fair weather fans since the Phillies are exhausting and the Sixers are frustrating.

The Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies all fluctuate among each other below the Eagles

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
Not a flyers fan but I’m guessing they are definitely behind the Eagles and Sixers.
Tbh most 76er fans are bandwagon, not many of us stuck around for the years of suckatude, I did, but most didn't so personally I wouldn't put them ahead

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I would say Eagles and Sixers easily are ahead right now. I think they’re ahead of the Phillies right now but if they get their bullpen together next year and make a run in the playoffs the Phil’s and Flyers will be a 3A/3B type of deal. Just like in any city when a team wins people start to care more of course. Now if the Flyers win a cup I think they instantly jump in front of the Sixers comfortably.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Eagles are #1 regardless of how the season(s) are going. The others they can shift around depending on current state of the franchise. But assuming all are healthy the Flyers are probably #4 behind the Eagles, Phillies, & Sixers.

The Flyers pretty much have to compete with the Eagles & Sixers in similar season time frames while the Phillies benefit from being in the summer when at times they’re the only thing going.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I think the Flyers have a stronger, albeit small, fanbase compared to the Sixers. I think Flyers fans are more diehard than Sixer fans. It could just be the circles I run in though. I would guess that if both the Sixers and Flyers went winless for an entire season, the Flyers would have more fans at the games.

For example, in 2006-2007, when the Flyers were the worst team in the league, they averaged over 19000 fans a game. The Sixers, who also had a losing record that season, finished 9th in the conference, and averaged between 14-16000 fans (found two different numbers for average attendance that year).

This leads me to believe that the Flyers have more diehard fans who pays to see the games.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I would guess the Eagles are always #1. Then it would depend on how good the Flyers, Phillies and Sixers are. These 3 likely change on a yearly basis in terms of popularity in the city

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think the Flyers have a stronger, albeit small, fanbase compared to the Sixers. I think Flyers fans are more diehard than Sixer fans. It could just be the circles I run in though. I would guess that if both the Sixers and Flyers went winless for an entire season, the Flyers would have more fans at the games.

For example, in 2006-2007, when the Flyers were the worst team in the league, they averaged over 19000 fans a game. The Sixers, who also had a losing record that season, finished 9th in the conference, and averaged between 14-16000 fans (found two different numbers for average attendance that year).

This leads me to believe that the Flyers have more diehard fans who pays to see the games.

The Flyers & hockey in America have pretty passionate but niche regional followings.

The NBA markets more around the players than they do the teams so they can weather around some big markets being bad to mediocre for so long (look at the New York Knicks for example). It creates more a national product than a regional product.

So when the Sixers were mediocre/bad people stopped caring about them but their interest in basketball/NBA didn’t fall off. Most of them just jumped to the Lakers (Kobe) or whatever team Lebron was on.

Reactions: Pantokrator

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'd say that regularly (without mentioning if the team is good or not)...

1) Eagles

2) Phillies
3) Sixers

4) Flyers

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
The Flyers & hockey in America have pretty passionate but niche regional followings.

The NBA markets more around the players than they do the teams so they can weather around some big markets being bad to mediocre for so long (look at the New York Knicks for example). It creates more a national product than a regional product.

So when the Sixers were mediocre/bad people stopped caring about them but their interest in basketball/NBA didn’t fall off. Most of them just jumped to the Lakers (Kobe) or whatever team Lebron was on.

Yes, this makes sense.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Eagles are number 1 because Philly is a football town.Like others have said, the other sports teams jockey in popularity due to fair weather fans.Flyers have a more “diehard” fan base than the Phillies and Sixers that will remain loyal even though rough stretches.I actually think most Flyers fans are in the suburbs compared to the city.One thing that helps the Flyers is that they have an iconic status due to the broad street bully days.Even though those days are long gone, the legacy endures

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, this makes sense.

Yeah that’s why you see NBC always go to well with the Flyers, Rangers, Bruins, Blackhawks, Penguins, etc. with their national broadcasts. They just bank on the bigger American markets bringing in the regional ratings. They ultimately stick to what works for them.

The NHL gets killed for it & not saying they have done a great job but even with better effort I don’t think you’re going leave that regional niche status with hockey in America.

The ratings dropped significantly as the playoffs went on this year & those big market American teams went out for example.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
In a general sense I think probably fourth but the fans the flyers have are diehards. Like most flyers fans have multiple jerseys and watch every game. I'd say they have the largest core audience behind the eagles

Reactions: Pantokrator

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
It's the Eagles and then everyone else, with popularity depending on who's good and what star players are around.

You could argue that during the Lindros era the Flyers were number 2, but the Phillies were in the basement at the time, and the Iverson teams weren't at their top level yet.

There is certainly an element of bandwagoning with all three. The Sixers were a trendy follow with the"trust the process" stuff. If the Phillies are good, like 07-10, everyone in the city has some anecdotal story about routinely listening to Harry Kalas with their grandfather on the front porch when they were kids. The playoff environment definitely gets the Flyers bandwagoners going. You can just feel it when you're at the games.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
All of it because I'm f***ing hilarious

Philadelphia is a football town. Everything else comes next in varying degrees based on how good the team is. I'd say right now the Flyers are trending up in "popularity" i.e. number of fair weather fans since the Phillies are exhausting and the Sixers are frustrating.

The Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies all fluctuate among each other below the Eagles
Shortly after the Eagles won the Super Bowl, I went to a Flyers game in Raleigh. As per usual there was a pretty even split of Canes/Flyers fans. There were constant E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! chants and when I took a leak during the first halftime I received a hearty GO BIRDS! from a guy leaving the bathroom.

This ranks as my second favorite Canes/Flyers game memory, right behind the FIRE HAKSTOL chant I heard once. Also in Raleigh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad