Speculation: Flyers popularity

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I would say Eagles and Sixers easily are ahead right now. I think they’re ahead of the Phillies right now but if they get their bullpen together next year and make a run in the playoffs the Phil’s and Flyers will be a 3A/3B type of deal. Just like in any city when a team wins people start to care more of course. Now if the Flyers win a cup I think they instantly jump in front of the Sixers comfortably.

the things with the Sixers and Flyers is that there are way more BASKETBALL fans then hockey fans so when the Sixers are good its not even close. However, in general Sixers and Flyers popularity is really close. Flyers typically outdraw the Sixers in ticket sales until recently and drew higher TV ratings locally.
It’s probably been ten years but I remember reading an article in USA Today that showed that in LOCAL TV playoff ratings the home NHL team has higher ratings than the home NBA team Except for LA.

Reactions: MorgantiDrinksBlood

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Radio is irrelevant. Sixers, Flyers and Phillies all.have their die hards.

The NBA has become the WWF, but all that has done has increase their popularity:huh: the game has zero integrity now.
Baseball lives on history and little league to garner interest. When is the last time you say a group of kids playing a pickup game of baseball or softball??
The NHL will remain 4 because of the expense of equipment and limited availability of rink. I dont know how many people are fans.like myself, someone who never played.

Funny the Wings were mentioned. Considering how little coverage they get, one may say their fans are the most dedicated. There are many people like myself, who have been attending game since the 80s.

Reactions: Rebels57

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
You just have to turn on local radio to know the Flyers are no where near the other three in terms of popularity.
Negative. Local radio doesn't do hockey because they don't understand it and aren't interested in it and they hire people that aren't interested or understand it. Then act surprised when they want to jump on the bandwagon and nobody calls in. That's not representative of the popularity of the team.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Negative. Local radio doesn't do hockey because they don't understand it and aren't interested in it and they hire people that aren't interested or understand it. Then act surprised when they want to jump on the bandwagon and nobody calls in. That's not representative of the popularity of the team.
If hockey was that popular in the area they would have every incentive to talk about it ($$$). I mean sports radio is all about attracting the most ears. If we are just talking about "popularity" it's hard to find a better public measure. Most of those guys don't know anything about basketball or baseball if we're being honest with ourselves and the football opinions are often cringey as well. That doesn't stop them from talking about those sports. Hell the biggest show in the area has two "Hockey Guys" on it, and hockey is rarely a topic...because no one wants to talk about it. Hence the Flyers standing in the area.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
If hockey was that popular in the area they would have every incentive to talk about it ($$$). I mean sports radio is all about attracting the most ears. If we are just talking about "popularity" it's hard to find a better public measure. Most of those guys don't know anything about basketball or baseball if we're being honest with ourselves and the football opinions are often cringey as well. That doesn't stop them from talking about those sports. Hell the biggest show in the area has two "Hockey Guys" on it, and hockey is rarely a topic...because no one wants to talk about it. Hence the Flyers standing in the area.
They talk Eagles 80 percent of the time. And when they aren't talking Eagles, they are ripping on Phillies management, ripping on 76ers management and ownership, or ripping on Embiid and Simmons. Thats the extent of it. Hockey is not talked on the station because they don't know it and when they do talk about it very rarely they don't get calls because they never talk about it and in this day and age there are other outlets to get actual Flyers content and general hockey talk. What does having Jones and Morganti on the Morning Show do for me as a hockey fan if they never talk about it? Why would I listen if I'm looking for hockey talk?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
What does having Jones and Morganti on the Morning Show do for me as a hockey fan if they never talk about it?

This is your main argument:
Hockey is not talked on the station because they don't know it

They are people that "know" hockey. Jones and Morganti make a living talking about the sport. Myrtetus was on Mike Miss' show for how long? No hockey talk. And Mikey Miss himself would love nothing more than an opportunity to show everyone how he's such a smart hockey guy. And again, does not knowing about the other three major sports stop them from talking about those teams? Not a chance.

They don't talk hockey on the radio because it doesn't interest enough people in the area. Hockey is niche sport that only interests a relatively small portion of the market (adult white males). Plain and simple. It's not that hard to see.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
This is your main argument:

They are people that "know" hockey. Jones and Morganti make a living talking about the sport. Myrtetus was on Mike Miss' show for how long? No hockey talk. And Mikey Miss himself would love nothing more than an opportunity to show everyone how he's such a smart hockey guy. They don't talk hockey on the radio because it doesn't interest enough people. Hockey is niche sport. Plain and simple. It's not that hard to see.
Mikey Miss is an asshole and he doesn't know hockey. Evident by the clowning he gives Giroux any time anybody calls in to talk about him on his show.

And my argument is that they don't know hockey. And they don't talk about it. Not one or the other. Both.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have to agree that Philly sports radio is not an indication of popularity. They are a bunch of blowhard jerkoffs that only truly care about the Eagles.

Reactions: lancer247

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Mikey Miss is an asshole and he doesn't know hockey. Evident by the clowning he gives Giroux any time anybody calls in to talk about him on his show.

And my argument is that they don't know hockey. And they don't talk about it. Not one or the other. Both.
So why do you think they don't talk about hockey?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
So why do you think they don't talk about hockey?
I don't know. It's not a new thing. They just never have. Probably for the same reasons you can watch SportsCenter for a year and count on 1 hand the amount of hockey highlights they show that aren't something dumb like Gritty falling over. It's also the NHL's fault for not marketing their product effectively. But ultimately its just a loop, Media personalities don't know the sport so they can't talk about it, fans don't watch or engage with media because they don't know it and don't talk about it, media assumes no one cares about it so they don't bother to learn the sport so they can talk about it. From what I see, in the places I frequent, Flyers are #2 in the town almost every year I've been alive, minus a short stint in the Early 2000s when AI was here, and the late 2000s very early 10s when the Phillies were great. The bars I go to, the places I've worked, gyms whatever. Wherever I'm at, I see more Flyers gear than anything short of Eagles green on Sundays during Football season.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Missanelli doesn't talk about Hockey because he doesn't like hockey. I think it's pretty much that simple.
I think he actually is interested in hockey and occasionally he says things that make it seem like he is knowledgeable about the sport or at least that he pays attention which is more than most hosts. He just doesn't like the way the fanbase acts in comparison to the the other three teams and he likes to take shots at them for it. That's not really a secret.

Even if Mike is a D-bag, there are still 5 other shows that show no interest in talking about hockey.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I think he actually is interested in hockey and occasionally he says things that make it seem like he is knowledgeable about the sport or at least that he pays attention which is more than most hosts. He just doesn't like the way the fanbase acts in comparison to the the other three teams and he likes to take shots at them for it. That's not really a secret.

Even if Mike is a D-bag, there are still 5 other shows that show no interest in talking about hockey.
Mike doesn't like the way the fanbase acts to him but they have every right to do so, seeing as he invented the term Stepford fans for them in the 90s.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't know. It's not a new thing. They just never have. Probably for the same reasons you can watch SportsCenter for a year and count on 1 hand the amount of hockey highlights they show that aren't something dumb like Gritty falling over. It's also the NHL's fault for not marketing their product effectively. But ultimately its just a loop, Media personalities don't know the sport so they can't talk about it, fans don't watch or engage with media because they don't know it and don't talk about it, media assumes no one cares about it so they don't bother to learn the sport so they can talk about it. From what I see, in the places I frequent, Flyers are #2 in the town almost every year I've been alive, minus a short stint in the Early 2000s when AI was here, and the late 2000s very early 10s when the Phillies were great. The bars I go to, the places I've worked, gyms whatever. Wherever I'm at, I see more Flyers gear than anything short of Eagles green on Sundays during Football season.
Well yeah in your own little bubble the Flyers are #2, but that's not really reality. I don't think any honest fan would say the Flyers are #2 in the city. It's not really close. Maybe if you want to argue most passionate or whatever other buzzword you want to use? Sure, but that's not the same thing as most popular.

We have this debate annually and I guess some fans take it personal that the team they follow so close is actually not that popular as if it is a reflection of themselves. I'm not sure. I have no problem admitting I follow a niche sport entirely too close for my own good.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Well yeah in your own little bubble the Flyers are #2, but that's not really reality. I don't think any honest fan would say the Flyers are #2 in the city. It's not really close. Maybe if you want to argue most passionate or whatever other buzzword you want to use? Sure, but that's not the same thing as most popular.

We have this debate annually and I guess some fans take it personal that the team they follow so close is actually not that popular as if it is a reflection of themselves. I'm not sure. I have no problem admitting I follow a niche sport entirely too close for my own good.

As someone from the city & not the suburbs whenever I played hockey I was pretty much with kids from Bucks County. Maybe like me & another kid or so would be from the Northeast. That’s not even inner city & most of the kids I grew up with very causally would have interest in the Flyers nonetheless actually play hockey. Most of them would just watch playoff time if there was any buzz around the team being legit contenders.

They all liked football, basketball, & baseball much more than hockey (on top of playing them). Probably even soccer too. I don’t even think any of them spend as much time on the others sports as do hockey but even then they’re also not calling up sports radio shows either.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
As someone from the city & not the suburbs whenever I played hockey I was pretty much with kids from Bucks County. Maybe like me & another kid or so would be from the Northeast. That’s not even inner city & most of the kids I grew up with very causally would have interest in the Flyers nonetheless actually play hockey. Most of them would just watch playoff time if there was any buzz around the team being legit contenders.

They all liked football, basketball, & baseball much more than hockey (on top of playing them). Probably even soccer too. I don’t even think any of them spend as much time on the others sports as do hockey but even then they’re also not calling up sports radio shows either.
I spent my early childhood in the city and then moved to South Jersey and when I told people I played hockey it came off like I told people I played cricket. People just did not view hockey on the same tier as the other three sports. Mind you this was during a time when the Flyers were legitimately Cup contenders each year and had one of the best players in the sport on the team.

Last edited:

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
How popular Flyers are in Philadelphia? Compare to other sports?

bigger than Basketball or baseball?
American Football (Eagles)

Basketball (76ers)

Baseball (Phillies)

Hockey (Flyers)
Is pretty much the common stratification for most major markets in the US with some exceptions.

I'd agree with this. Outside of pockets of South Philly, the NE, and Roxborough/Manayunk you wont hear much Flyers talk.
The Sixers won 10 games in a month for the 1st time in 5 years in Jan 2017. The whole city was talking about them.
The Flyers moved up to number 2 in the draft on a miracle a few months later and i dont think it even made the front page of the sports section.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I spent my early childhood in the city and then moved to South Jersey and when I told people I played hockey it came off like I told people I played cricket. People just did not view hockey on the same tier as the other three sports. Mind you this was during a time when they Flyers were legitimately Cup contenders each year and had one of the best players in the sport on the team.

Yeah I mean you can even look beyond sports talk radio. Look at NBC they have invested interest in the Flyers & they probably don’t talk as much about them on their programs as the Sixers & Phillies. It feels like whenever the Sixers & Flyers are both playing on NBC the same night the Flyers get relegated to the second NBC channel.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
This looks like two different conversations being had at once. WIP will talk about whatever there's an audience for consuming. Their agenda is to make money. As @LegionOfDoom91 said, there are a lot of Flyers (not hockey) hardcores in Philadelphia compared to Sixers hardcores and maybe Phillies hardcores depending on the age bracket. There are not many casual Flyers fans and functionally zero casual general hockey fans relative to the other major sports. There are roughly 19 people in Philadelphia who care that the Blues are good.

I would add some tiny pockets of South Jersey to the hockey list. I grew up mostly in Voorhees, so I know more hockey fans than the average person. That's how it works in this region.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There are roughly 19 people in Philadelphia who care that the Blues are good.

@Captain Dave Poulin

tenor.gif

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Hockey is niche sport that only interests a relatively small portion of the market (adult white males). Plain and simple. It's not that hard to see.

While people of color attending is steadily increasing, granted there is a greatly white following--not for any internal reasoning... all are welcome... it just is what it it--there are many kids and young Fans who love hockey and attend as best they can... But you can't honestly single out MALES... some of the greatest and most avid and dedicated Flyers Fans are FEMALE... some with husbands, their kids, or boyfriends, but many with other ladies... and most all really into it and enjoying the game and the Flyers.

Just wanted to set that straight.

Reactions: dragonoffrost

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
While people of color attending is steadily increasing, granted there is a greatly white following--not for any internal reasoning... all are welcome... it just is what it it--there are many kids and young Fans who love hockey and attend as best they can... But you can't honestly single out MALES... some of the greatest and most avid and dedicated Flyers Fans are FEMALE... some with husbands, their kids, or boyfriends, but many with other ladies... and most all really into it and enjoying the game and the Flyers.

Just wanted to set that straight.
Again, I’m not talking most passionate or most die hard. This seems to be the holdup for most. I’m talking strictly about popularity. Hockey and sports in general are mostly watched and followed by men. I don’t think I’m breaking any news there.

I mean look at this place. If you pulled the demographics of this board I’m willing to bet the percentage of people that identify as a “White Male” starts with a 9. That’s the main demographic of the sport. You can’t say the same for football or basketball. Baseball is a little closer but still much more diverse than hockey.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The Flyers are absolutely 4th in overall popularity. It's a niche sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad