Seravalli: Flyers interested in Lawson Crouse

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Tanev is 30 and costs $2m more in AAV.

Wilson is youngish at 27, but costs $3.1m more in AAV.

Both Tkachuks are young enough but cost the most.
He’ll need a new contract and will have arbitration rights. His qualifying offer will be 1.75m but he’ll get a raise.

I don’t know what it will be, and I’m not suggesting it will definitely be exorbitant but he isn’t a cost controlled asset. He’s a cheap rental but if he doesn’t like a team’s offer in the off-season he can just go to arbitration.

If he’s such a uniquely valuable type player then he might not be interested in taking team friendly deal since he would have a lot of value as a UFA. Josh Anderson wasn’t.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
You’re out to lunch if you think a player like Crouse, who is under team control, is on a bargain of a contract and is a unicorn in today’s NHL doesn’t recieve a 1st, or equivalent value come TDL
His bargain of a contract is kind of irrelevant considering its expiring at the end of the season. If he's half as good as you say he is (he's not nearly as good as you hype him up to be) than he'll be getting a significant pay raise. How exactly is a bottom 6 grinder with A career high 15 goals, 25 points a unicorn? Because he's on pace to score 20 on a bad team when he gets top 6 minutes and pp time? I'm not saying he's a bad player, he'd be a great addition to anyone's bottom 6 but let's not get ourselves carried away here

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Havent really heard anything about Crouse lately. What was Arizonas asking price?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
A great bottom six guy can be worth a lot. Crowse himself was drafted in the first round and isnt seen as a bust. A lot of first rounders do bust too, so a first is not as valuable as people think

I am having troubling thinking of a bottom six guy who went for a 1st + a good prospect recently. Can you think of one?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

I guess he did play lower in the line up on a Stanley Cup winning team like Tampa. He is playing on the 2nd line in Calgary, but I see your point. That is, if you see Crouse is as good as Coleman. I think Coleman has demonstrated he has more offensive upside, but still they aren't that far apart.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I guess he did play lower in the line up on a Stanley Cup winning team like Tampa. He is playing on the 2nd line in Calgary, but I see your point. That is, if you see Crouse is as good as Coleman. I think Coleman has demonstrated he has more offensive upside, but still they aren't that far apart.

I see Crouse as younger and an RFA. I am convinced that if he gets traded he will command a similar return.

Players of his mold tale longer to peak and GMs absolutely love them.

Fans have a skewed perception of mid to late first rounders.

A GM with a shot at the cup is going to vastly prefer a tank like Crouse over an unnamed 17 year old boy.

Reactions: BKarchitect

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Might I ask if you're a true Flyers fan? I honestly really dislike the Flyers, but it's no secret they'll always have the identity of being tough, work hard, and beat up the team they're playing against every single night, correction try that is if they don't suck. They're not known as the Broad Street Bullies for nothing.

Players that match the Flyers description that played for them: Bernie Parent, Bobby Clarke, Eric Lindros, Chris Pronger, Mike Richards, Claude Giroux, Rod Brind'Amour, Keith Primeau, Mark Recchi, Kevin Dineen (but I consider him more a Whaler), those are the kind of examples of players who played the ideal game the Flyers expect people to play. Lawson Crouse would fit the Flyers like a glove, similar to when they went out and got Daniel Carcillo.

But I think personally they've shown more to sellout, try way... too hard to be good and overpay terrible ex-superstars to the dumbest contracts. The dumbest excuse I ever heard is people in Philly work very, very hard and expect a lot from their sports teams. Honestly, as stressful as a team are the Flyers are to manage, I'd definitely go the young route and build around young players only.

I dont think the team that is 18th in hits and 19th in PIM over the last 3 seasons would still be going by the name broad street bullies

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Crouse is playing 2nd line minutes in Arizona. He's 4th in ES/TOI per Game, a top PKer and plays the PP as well (admittedly not much of a threat there). He's at almost 18 minutes per night and is pacing for 21 goals and 42 points. Coleman was pacing for 45 points when acquired from New Jersey. Neither is a great offensive player but both have the ability to put up some numbers when given ice time (in very different ways).

And unlike Coleman who was very much in his prime when acquired, part of the concept of acquiring Crouse is you are getting a younger guy who is still ascending and has shown tremendous growth the past year as a player while also definitely fitting that narrative that sometimes bigger bodied power types sometimes take a bit longer to fully grow into their game. Coleman had an extra year on his contract at a great price but Crouse is only an RFA and nobody thinks he is going to break the bank with his production so he is very much a long-term play.

And - just to put a bow on it - I can't emphasize enough how impressive this chart is for a guy who gets this many even strength minutes on a team this bad is. To be a positive player in all aspects (offense, defense and possession) and especially defensively on a team that is trending to one of the worst defensive seasons is history is extremely impressive.

lVGRHrT.png

Every single team in contention who wants to add a big, strong middle six guy for the playoffs who is excellent defensively and a positive ES player across the board and who has also shown really positive growth and development will be offering a late first +. He's absolutely the type of guy contenders are looking to add. The idea that he's a 4th liner or even a limited 3rd liner with no upside is incredibly dumb but I guess expected given how shallow and uninformed a lot of the takes here are.

And yeah I know that the Flyers are a long ways from contenders so I’m not advocating they make the deal but somebody will assuredly give up a late 1st+ for this “4th liner”.

MattyNew91

Jul 5, 2018
Crouse is playing 2nd line minutes in Arizona. He's 4th in ES/TOI per Game, a top PKer and plays the PP as well (admittedly not much of a threat there). He's at almost 18 minutes per night and is pacing for 21 goals and 42 points. Coleman was pacing for 45 points when acquired from New Jersey. Neither is a great offensive player but both have the ability to put up some numbers when given ice time (in very different ways).

And unlike Coleman who was very much in his prime when acquired, part of the concept of acquiring Crouse is you are getting a younger guy who is still ascending and has shown tremendous growth the past year as a player while also definitely fitting that narrative that sometimes bigger bodied power types sometimes take a bit longer to fully grow into their game. Coleman had an extra year on his contract at a great price but Crouse is only an RFA and nobody thinks he is going to break the bank with his production so he is very much a long-term play.

And - just to put a bow on it - I can't emphasize enough how impressive this chart is for a guy who gets this many even strength minutes on a team this bad is. To be a positive player in all aspects (offense, defense and possession) and especially defensively on a team that is trending to one of the worst defensive seasons is history is extremely impressive.

lVGRHrT.png

Every single team in contention who wants to add a big, strong middle six guy for the playoffs who is excellent defensively and a positive ES player across the board and who has also shown really positive growth and development will be offering a late first +. He's absolutely the type of guy contenders are looking to add. The idea that he's a 4th liner or even a limited 3rd liner with no upside is incredibly dumb but I guess expected given how shallow and uninformed a lot of the takes here are.

And yeah I know that the Flyers are a long ways from contenders so I’m not advocating they make the deal but somebody will assuredly give up a late 1st+ for this “4th liner”.

This is a guy I really want the leafs to add as he would also be a guy that could next year be a guy who could play top 6 for us and be a complimentary peice to JT and Nylander. He adds an element we sorely lack in the top 6 and I'm willing to take a chance on him continuing to grow his game and be a guy that can score 20goals and be a 40 to 50 point guy at a cap hit we can afford for more than a year or 2.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
I want AZ to sell off almost everything but Crouse is a guy I definatly want to keep. I think AZ wants to add more guys like him not trade him. You have to listen to trades but unless it's a massive over payment, pass.
I'm hoping for a longer extension this off season.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I am having troubling thinking of a bottom six guy who went for a 1st + a good prospect recently. Can you think of one?
Wasnt Coleman at that value when Tampa got him? (Edit: was beat to it haha)

Plus btw, not a rental. So the usual adds are rentals so that biases what we expect

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Flyers aren’t in contention so we shouldn’t be looking at him.

Its a perfectly Chuck Fletcher move to trade a top 5-ish pick for a middle 6 'sandpaper' guy. Whether we're in contention or not makes no difference to Chuckles. This team is DEFINITELY only a Lawson Crouse away, SnS!

Reactions: SnS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad