GDT: Flyers @ Flames, December 4 @ 7:00 - The "Nuke Everything" Edition

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
This team just crumples when one bad thing happens. It's the coaching staff's job to get the group to focus and not let everything break apart.

I don't think we played better than them, all we did was put up more shots. There was no compete from the top two lines, and players like Hathaway and Lazar should've been played more to rile up Flyers' D. They had too much ease in dealing with our forecheck.

I wish Gulutzan was more willing to change things up on the PP. Brodie is simply not cutting it out, and it should be either Gio or Hamilton replacing him. And how they waste Stone's shooting ability by not putting him on the PP is absolutely beyond me. What the PP needs is someone who can slap it hard from either flanks or someone who can hit one-timers. All they are trying to do is to force plays with weak wristers that gets easily stopped by their D or the goalie.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Good news: This team hasn't lost 3 straight all season

Bad news: They've been losing 2 consecutive games too often.

I'm out of things to say about this team. Either they'll make the changes that need to be made and rise to the occassion or they'll wallow in mediocrity as has been the Flames mantra for the past 20+ years.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
This franchise just seems destined for mediocrity.
On paper this team is good enough to be top 10 in the league, I really hope we can turn things around here and play to our potential.

Reactions: Sk8M8

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
This game wasn't that bad. The Flyers needed a fluke bounce, a phantom penalty, and Elliott going GodMode to win tonight. The Flames could have been better, without a doubt, but this wasn't like that Edmonton debacle where no one showed up. Every defense pair did get burned for a goal against they would like back which might speak to a coaching issue of not focusing on fundamentals (which was our previous coach's mantra) but overall that wasn't a 'bad' loss. Any time you double your opponent up in shots and lose, it is what it is. Happens all the time in the NHL to good teams.

It's the Edmonton game that was inexcusable.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, I thought they played a pretty solid game for 58.75 minutes tonight. Just goes to show how bad this team can be at hockey for 1-2 minutes of a game. Seeing 93 and 77 play at an even higher level lately is nice too.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The worst and most depressing thing is that we don't have our 1st round pick for the upcoming draft:(

May 23, 2007
Calgary
I wonder if Gulutzan will ever entertain the idea of mixing up the pairings. Someone is obviously not clicking. Even the Giordano and Hamilton pairing hasn't been that good. The Brodie and Hamonic pairing has been a disaster and it amazes me that nothing has been done about it. The Kulak and Stone pairing has been average to below-average most nights.

Please. Do something.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I agree that we played better for most of the game, but at the end of the day all that matters is the 2 points and when you're looking at Elliott on the other side and put up 40+ shots you should be able score more than 2 goals.

It's the epitome of our season, can't score goals and a bunch of defensive mistakes which leads to goals against. The only goal I don't hold the Flames accountable at all is the 4th, that was complete bullshit. An atrocious high sticking penalty and then Philly scores right after from a puck being bounced off a guy right to a wide open Simmonds.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I agree that we played better for most of the game, but at the end of the day all that matters is the 2 points and when you're looking at Elliott on the other side and put up 40+ shots you should be able score more than 2 goals.

It's the epitome of our season, can't score goals and a bunch of defensive mistakes which leads to goals against. The only goal I don't hold the Flames accountable at all is the 4th, that was complete bull****. An atrocious high sticking penalty and then Philly scores right after from a puck being bounced off a guy right to a wide open Simmonds.

For what it's worth, the epitome of our season would be something resembling a win, given we've won more games than we've lost.

Always with the drama, though.

Certain individuals can step up and play a lot better than they are right now. I'm happy to have seen Bennett absolutely looking stellar tonight, and the team generating a lot of possession in the other team's end while not allowing much is a positive step, too. If we can get all four lines to be dangerous at the same time, that'd be great.

As long as we stick together, as a team, we'll be alright.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Hamonic is great if you're counting in him to anchor your third pair. If you expect him to be a legitimate top 4, he's not. We paid top 4 price for him.

I don't blame Hamonic for that, but I never liked the acquisition.
Hes An Excellent #3 But we told you he has things on his mind. Since his moms been having her issues hes been distracted. Isles Fans saw it last season

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I actually liked our game for the most part last night.

It’s just when we make a mistake that leads to a goal, it can’t lead to two other mistakes right after. This team needs to show mental strength.

Hopefully this is just the low part of the season.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
The worst and most depressing thing is that we don't have our 1st round pick for the upcoming draft:(

Hypothetical, but if the Flames were out at the deadline, think they could get that 1st back by trading Backlund to the Islanders? (work out a deal ahead of time with him to re-sign him on July 1st).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Didn't even watch the third.
This team is so damn fragile for having such a good leadership group.

It sucks that we're this 'meh' with the team we have. Treliving needs to do something to shake it up a bit, don't wait too long. Remind these guys that no one's safe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad