Post-Game Talk: Flyers at Rangers - January 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Didn't saw a place for Pirri when he was signed but he sold me over early in the season but once but I've had it. For now he doesn't do anything for the PP so why even bother with him in the line up?

People see a pretty good shot and that excites them. I understand that but what they dont see is that its like the team is shorthanded at tines when he is on the ice because he doesn't have the desire or ability to go win a battle for the puck. That is a generalization by me. There have been times he has won a battle for the puck but they are far too infrequent.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Honestly, I get an answer from one poster. But I'd be interested in others' opinions because he wasn't called out on it. What the **** was McDonagh doing on the first goal. Did he not realize the puck was loose early enough or something? Maybe I'm missing something here because no one really blamed him for the goal.

McD was out of position A LOT tonight...

2nd goal? WHAT IN THE HOLY HELL WAS KLEIN DOING????

Yes it goes off of Grabs but Klein was legit doing pirouettes in the crease!

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
the pp was atrocious again

the continued force feeding of ryan mcd on the pp point is a joke. truth be known, clendo wasnt much better. we are so lacking that guy that can bring it on net. we just dont have anyone really.

shattenkirk would slot so nicely there. prob not gonna happen. need to find that guy who can just rip it from the top.

i though buchy was again ineffective on the pp with bad passes.

the pp is so important in close games like last night. when you fail to score, it sucks the wait out of the building at it seems the pp at home is really crappy.

might be time to go 5 forwards.

the defense looked pretty solid last night. 2 fluky goals, otherwise, they played pretty damn well for a bunch of supposed losers.

henrik played solid and again its the chicken or the egg. is the the better team defense that makes him look better or is it the better goalie that makes the defense look better ?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Honestly a game we should have won. Mason was stellar Grabner makes two mistakes that end up in our net when he easily could have had 2 goals for us instead.

Frankly doesn't hurt us to stay in that 4th spot

More importantly hank was great again and I thought we played some of our best hockey in that first 40 mins just couldn't cash in.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Reading some posts and yeah I agree team played well. Someone said it is a game of skill and luck, the skill and effort was there but just bad puck luck. Think Hank also had another good game so am starting to feel more confident that he can bounce back and this would be a good time entering the final stretch of the season.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Honestly not upset at all with this game. Mason played like god, as usual, against us.

That 4th line gave me a disease though and I'm still feeling the effects.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
McD was out of position A LOT tonight...

2nd goal? WHAT IN THE HOLY HELL WAS KLEIN DOING????

Yes it goes off of Grabs but Klein was legit doing pirouettes in the crease!

:biglaugh:

He has been horrific most of the season - it`ll be hard to move him over the summer. It`s sad he was much better last season.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Brandon Pirri: Agree with some parts but i don't agree that you need to be a 'grinder' to be on the 4th line, hockey is evolving, 4th lines are evolving.
Evolving it may be, but over the course of time you see more and more warts in his game. There may be someone who can do more and not have such an exciting shot.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He is playing better. I'd hate to make a judgement based on such a small amount of games but Im cautiously optimistic.
I would caution here because as you say, the small amount of time. I remember when Pirri was considered the steam of the off season.

Puempel is doing well, but with more time and against better competition, his game may deteriorate. I.e. playing against someone besides the oppositions 4th line.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
pirri has his moments. hes been slightly better lately skating hard, back checking and continuing to get that shot off. hes a useful player with a high snipe potential.

hes also cream puff soft. the worst wall player on the team. offers nothing physically.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I would caution here because as you say, the small amount of time. I remember when Pirri was considered the steal of the off season.

Puempel is doing well, but with more time and against better competition, his game may deteriorate. I.e. playing against someone besides the oppositions 4th line.

You are exactly right. Hopefully Pump pans out well but we will have to see more over a longer spread of games before forming any firm conclusions.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
On the PP, Pirri should be in the bumper spot until the Rangers get the puck. When the Rangers have control and are set up, he should rotate back to the half-wall. But he should definitely not be taken off the PP.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
haven't read all 100+ comments, maybe someone else wrote this as well,
but through 2d this was reminding me of those first early losses to Detroit and St Louis, when NYR were denied repeatedly by a great goalie performance which allowed his team to win

but then last night, NYR did not even play well enough in 3d to label this as a 'stolen' game

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Evolving it may be, but over the course of time you see more and more warts in his game. There may be someone who can do more and not have such an exciting shot.

I never meant to pump up Pirri at all, he's been lackluster in the last 2 months or so. What i meant to say is that you don't have to be a grinder or a defensively solid forward to be a good 4th liner.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
On the PP, Pirri should be in the bumper spot until the Rangers get the puck. When the Rangers have control and are set up, he should rotate back to the half-wall. But he should definitely not be taken off the PP.

Not sure why the PP is running through him, he's not a good enough passer for that, he should just be the trigger man.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Pirri at 1.1M cap for 8G, 8A is kind of a good deal.

Puempel at a prorated 900K for what he has done, is kind of a good deal too.

Combined ~2M for 14 goals, 23 pts, is good value

I like the idea of trying to get production for less cap hit. Not trying to say they are perfect players but points are points. If the lower lines/depth can get more production, even if streaky, than those players give up to the other team, it's all good to me. Did not happen this game but in general.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Not sure why the PP is running through him, he's not a good enough passer for that, he should just be the trigger man.

Right. The only reason McDonagh should ever pass the puck to Pirri is if he's going to one-time it. And the coaching staff should tell Pirri to be trigger happy if he gets a pass.

You want to know a bigger issue with the PP recently? Since he returned from injury, Zibanejad has attempted 1 shot 5v4.

One. That's what we in the industry like to call: Not enough.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Right. The only reason McDonagh should ever pass the puck to Pirri is if he's going to one-time it. And the coaching staff should tell Pirri to be trigger happy if he gets a pass.

You want to know a bigger issue with the PP recently? Since he returned from injury, Zibanejad has attempted 1 shot 5v4.

One. That's what we in the industry like to call: Not enough.

that has as much to do with the passers around him not getting him the puck enough

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
True, but it also has a lot to do with the fact that the Rangers controlled entries 5v4 recently have been, to put it lightly, sub par.

oo i completely agree, last night for example was a nightmare....complete nightmare actually. this season they have played well overall with the man up but the past 2 weeks have been down right bad. last night the worst ive seen from them in some time.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You cant go in to a PP with a decision that 1 player will only get the puck if he is wide open. The puck flows where it flows and all players should have a minimum ability to win one on one battles for loose pucks if you expect to keep control of the puck in the offensive end.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Pirri has a great shot but his ability to make plays under pressure is truly awful.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I never meant to pump up Pirri at all, he's been lackluster in the last 2 months or so. What i meant to say is that you don't have to be a grinder or a defensively solid forward to be a good 4th liner.
I get it. But Pirri is extremely one dimensional. Maybe someone who can do more things and have a lesser shot would offer more from the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad