Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4 Oilers 2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yeah i mean when you look at the numbers, Draisaitl 5 on 5 numbers are good. He hasnt scored a PP point which is unbelievable since he was dynamite on the PP last year. Maybe if the PP was clicking we wouldnt be having this conversation. But he just hasnt looked that great all year from eye test. Hes had a couple really good games but hes been inconsistent to say the least. Maybe its the concussion, I dunno. Him (and even McDavid to a lesser extent though I think he is just frustrated with the season) almost pouts when they dont play together.

That would be sad if he's pouting. Honestly, I've been saying he's slow because he literally looks slower than last year but if its effort lacking because of linemates...damn.

The irony is he replaced Eberle, a player that occasionally pouts when placed lower in line up

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

ftr a TSN site that takes 1min to load all the crap, that then played a full 30 sec commercial to see a 30 sec video. Its very brief, just so people know. McLellan is animated, yes, but the clip unfortunately only showed the latter part of it. Would be nice to see the whole tongue lashing. All that's on the clip is Todd questioning the club about its NZ play and if the respective efforts are even giving the club a chance to win. Good comments.

But its sad. Because it won't work, and I don't hate Mclellan, I just know that when it gets to this stage its done. Todd out of answers and yelling. For a player coach this is the end of the line, no going back.

Chia, sadly, will continue to be employed and they will airlift some other coach in here to try to steer the ship within the next month. It will be too late in anycase. Its too late now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
ftr a TSN site that takes 1min to load all the crap, that then played a full 30 sec commercial to see a 30 sec video. Its very brief, just so people know. McLellan is animated, yes, but the clip unfortunately only showed the latter part of it. Would be nice to see the whole tongue lashing. All that's on the clip is Todd questioning the club about its NZ play and if the respective efforts are even giving the club a chance to win. Good comments.

But its sad. Because it won't work, and I don't hate Mclellan, I just know that when it gets to this stage its done. Todd out of answers and yelling. For a player coach this is the end of the line, no going back.

Chia, sadly, will continue to be employed and they will airlift some other coach in here to try to steer the ship within the next month. It will be too late in anycase. Its too late now.

For me it's a cry for help to his GM to get some more skilled players on the roster.

Chia of course is arrogant enough to believe that the "critical mass" of this team is good enough to win.

The disconnect between the HC and GM has never been more apparent.

Reactions: McBeastMode

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
For me it's a cry for help to his GM to get some more skilled players on the roster.

Chia of course is arrogant enough to believe that the "critical mass" of this team is good enough to win.

The disconnect between the HC and GM has never been more apparent.

I think that's a stretch.

I would buy it if the skilled players on the roster were playing well, but almost all of them have looked awful for basically the entire season.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't doubt that there's a disconnect between coach and GM, but I think it's more along the lines of McLellan thinking Chia hasn't given him any skilled players and Chia thinking why get skilled players when McLellan has no idea what to do with them.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don't doubt that there's a disconnect between coach and GM, but I think it's more along the lines of McLellan thinking Chia hasn't given him any skilled players and Chia thinking why get skilled players when McLellan has no idea what to do with them.

I think Chiarelli wants him to run Drai as a center on his own line. I also think Chiarelli wants him to incorporate young players into the lineup better. He probably wants changes to the special teams.

I think TM wants more veteran players with NHL experience and players that he can trust. I think he also wants to play his skill guys together and load up two lines. Hes saw his special teams guys have success, so he wants to stick with them.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
3 of 28 games we've scored more than we've given up on special teams. How in the f*** does this team expect to win with results like that? Hey Todd, maybe make some personnel changes on the PP?

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..

Players thoughts during this.......Tirade..

McDavid......Don't try to tell me how to play hockey...
Nurse...........I should beat his ass...
Leon.............Lalala..I'm rich....
Lucic............I have a NMC, you don't...
Nuge............Wonder what Eb's is doing now...
Gryba...........Hmmm...Pizza after practice...
Jesse............Please don't scratch me again...
Maroon........I'm getting marrrrried...
Letestu.........I'm his favorite, even though I'm useless..
Strome.........I'm invisible.....
Kassian........Shut the ****up....
Walker.........Blimey, Chuck this blokes's ass on the barbie...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

LOL! :lol:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

Funniest thing I've seen on the board all season. Well done sir. :clap:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Thanks for the play by play on the video. I don’t have the patience to sit through what you described leading up to it.

We all know how it works between a GM and a coach. We know the coach goes first. Chiarelli will get a second coach to see if the problem is his vision or the head coach. I don’t think these two are on the same page at all right now so it wouldn’t surprise me to see Mclellan gone before the beginning of next season at the latest. I’m at the point that I’d like to see it done sooner rather than later so we can move on. What we have here isn’t working.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
3 of 28 games we've scored more than we've given up on special teams. How in the **** does this team expect to win with results like that? Hey Todd, maybe make some personnel changes on the PP?
PP is a well oiled (no pun intended) machine compared to the PK. That’s also the unit that should be easier to fix. Mclellan’s been asleep at the wheel all season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Decided to watch the video, didn’t seem like much of a tirade. I was expecting something like the video we saw a few years ago when Eakins threw his pen at practice. He swore but I thought his voice was pretty calm and even. He was right about what he was saying. I found it odd that we’re seeing this video at all. I wonder who leaked it and why?

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I don't mean to second guess McLellen here, but he should have yelled at them way harder and swore a LOT more. Just my two cents.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

That is fantastic

I don't know which was my favorite but Strome .... I'm invisible was a perfect touch. Walker is classic as well.

But sometimes I wonder how far off stuff like this is. I've seen the same scrums with previous coaches where they were completely tuned out. Once during Eakins tenure some players were showing other players how to do the drills because half the club wasn't paying attention.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Decided to watch the video, didn’t seem like much of a tirade. I was expecting something like the video we saw a few years ago when Eakins threw his pen at practice. He swore but I thought his voice was pretty calm and even. He was right about what he was saying. I found it odd that we’re seeing this video at all. I wonder who leaked it and why?

I think I've what was the most sad thing about that video. Its like Todd is thinking about losing it on the club and now is a good time but he can't even half heart the effort to do that. Its ends up being a tepid bit of venting. Either because his relationship and standing with the club is already so tenuous or if he just can't bring himself to yell at a bunch of adults that are not responsible for the lineup the org put on ice this year.

This was a timid outburst

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
See, the problem with this is -- if you have seen alot of the post game presser scrums, McLellan mentions how in practices leading up to many games this season, the team looked good, skating was crisp, passing and breakouts were clean, attention to detail was given.

And when it comes to performance in game -- they fold like wet noodles. I really, really thought this team was past this when they traded away two of the golden boys and changed a host of personnel. However, this complacency has once again crept back into the games of these million dollar athletes who quite frankly are taking EVERYTHING for granted. Poor work ethic, lousy attention to detail to the point of being completely negligent, lost defensive assignments / marking and boxing out their opponents -- I mean, what the hell else can it be except that these clowns decided they were and are accomplished enough to coast by? Yes, the coaching staff is obstinate to the point of maddening fury, the goaltending has been atrocious, the GM has not properly addressed glaring needs and has alternately been fleeced / schooled in major deals -- but at what point, once again, do the players ever get to be held to the standard that's needed, and not the abysmally low bar they've set themselves simply because they got bank ($$$) now/had ONE good year after a decade of garbage?

The players bought into their own damn hype, and it's showing. Hey, you clowns -- you aren't that good, not even McDavid (who seems like he's lost a step, I dunno what's up with that but damn, even you?) and the complete lack of professional pride and commitment is showing. They would never, ever do it but the team ought to have these ingrates out serving food to the homeless, working in shelters over the holidays, volunteering at Hope Mission / Herb Jamieson / Boyle St. Co-op etc. to see just how good they have it. What a bunch of...

/rant off, sorry. :mad:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Seriously, how can Chia just sit on his hands on this one? There should be a ladder of accountability that Katz should be examining right now, and the weak rung must be removed:

Our Power Play is an absolute joke considering the talent available, so fire Woodcroft - unless the head coach doesn't see it as an issue, which means he's too inept/oblivious to be a head coach, so fire McLellan - unless the GM doesn't think either of these things are the problem, in which case you fire Chia. Pretty simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad