Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4 Oilers 2

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Leon Draisaitl has been taking a beating on sports radio today.
even Bob Stauffer, who everyone considers an Oilers shill, stated that "there are certain players who aren't as good as they think they are.."

Reactions: Dan Kelly

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
even Bob Stauffer, who everyone considers an Oilers shill, stated that "there are certain players who aren't as good as they think they are.."

Ugh dear sweet cheeses. I thought we just went through this phase with the whole golden boys thing.
Why is this team so irrecoverably effe

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
How long until McLellan strips McDavid of his C? Does McLellan currently hold the record for stripping C's with 2?

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
I Think Del pointed out, That we have the worst, Penalty kill % at home. In the history of the NHL..
Power Play is not much different..
How do MacT and Woodcroft deal with this..
Same players over and over, not willing to try new combinations or systems..
Living in some sort of Lala land, assuming eventually this will all work itself out..

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.
If it is broke......Don't fix it.
Oilers coaching mentality....

8bmeuc2.gif

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I Think Del pointed out, That we have the worst, Penalty kill % at home. In the history of the NHL..
Power Play is not much different..
How do MacT and Woodcroft deal with this..
Same players over and over, not willing to try new combinations or systems..
Living in some sort of Lala land, assuming eventually this will all work itself out..

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.
If it is broke......Don't fix it.
Oilers coaching mentality....

8bmeuc2.gif

Think this is just how things go when you're out of ideas. Give Woodcroft a 5 man veteran all-star 1st PP unit and I'm sure he can be a good PP coach again like he was in SJ. Give him less though and you need to wait for a Letestu to go on a heater to save his reputation.

The PK, maybe teams have just figured out what we do and we can't adjust. Or the adjustments are just really really bad. Or the motivation just isn't there. Probably a culmination of all kinds of bad things on our PK. Good system + good effort can usually give you a passable PK with any number of random guys around the league put on it. Bad system + bad effort is probably a good recipe for a shot at historical worsts.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
See, the problem with this is -- if you have seen alot of the post game presser scrums, McLellan mentions how in practices leading up to many games this season, the team looked good, skating was crisp, passing and breakouts were clean, attention to detail was given.

And when it comes to performance in game -- they fold like wet noodles. I really, really thought this team was past this when they traded away two of the golden boys and changed a host of personnel. However, this complacency has once again crept back into the games of these million dollar athletes who quite frankly are taking EVERYTHING for granted. Poor work ethic, lousy attention to detail to the point of being completely negligent, lost defensive assignments / marking and boxing out their opponents -- I mean, what the hell else can it be except that these clowns decided they were and are accomplished enough to coast by? Yes, the coaching staff is obstinate to the point of maddening fury, the goaltending has been atrocious, the GM has not properly addressed glaring needs and has alternately been fleeced / schooled in major deals -- but at what point, once again, do the players ever get to be held to the standard that's needed, and not the abysmally low bar they've set themselves simply because they got bank ($$$) now/had ONE good year after a decade of garbage?

The players bought into their own damn hype, and it's showing. Hey, you clowns -- you aren't that good, not even McDavid (who seems like he's lost a step, I dunno what's up with that but damn, even you?) and the complete lack of professional pride and commitment is showing. They would never, ever do it but the team ought to have these ingrates out serving food to the homeless, working in shelters over the holidays, volunteering at Hope Mission / Herb Jamieson / Boyle St. Co-op etc. to see just how good they have it. What a bunch of...

/rant off, sorry. :mad:
Post gave me chills. Bravo.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I thought Rogers Place was supposed to be home ice advantage? Oilers suck even more at home than on the road. I feel sorry for STH's... how many nights this year have you felt you got your money's worth?

5-9 at home. serious BS.

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013

Lol, I don't think that he was referring to draisatl when he was making that comment. Bob loves Leon.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Lol, I don't think that he was referring to draisatl when he was making that comment. Bob loves Leon.
really?...he makes that comment then goes on to talk about Leon the entire segment right after.
mentions the exact same line when he has DeBrusk as a guest then they begin to discuss Drai...pretty obvious IMO.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Even in that game, our PK looked better, but it was still 1 for 4, which is an abysmal percentage considering a decent pk should be 1 for 5 or 6. How much longer can this crap go on?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The players bought into their own damn hype, and it's showing

The root of it, right here.

From day 1 of the season opener, these players swaggered into this season like becoming a Cup Contender was just going to unfold for them without a care.

But then teams started ramming their delusions of grandeur down their throats, and they've been pretty much on their back foot ever since, looking like Tyson after Buster Douglas knocked him onto his back in round 9.

And don't think that firing the coach and his staff is going to be some magical mystery cure that will put things to rights. It might give them a dead cat bounce for a little while, but the heart of the matter is that if this core group of players aren't willing or able to put in the hours to become great, bringing in Scotty Bowman or Al Arbour won't make for a lasting fix.

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Yeah maybe you're right actually, listened again lol.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I really don't get bringing in Walker and Cammy if you're not going to use them effectively.

If you're not using Cammy as a shooter on the PP, he's effectively useless.

But who do you take off? There's about 7 LHS options on the roster I'd prefer to give PP time to over Mike.

Walker on the other hand should have gotten a game at Caggiula's (or Cammy's) expense so far. But for a roster that already features Kassian, Khaira, Lucic and even Caggiula, what new element does he Walker bring?

They needed a middle 6, PK'ing winger. An upgrade on Pou or Jokinen (and Caggiula). Not to take the spot and run it in a completely different direction.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The root of it, right here.

From day 1 of the season opener, these players swaggered into this season like becoming a Cup Contender was just going to unfold for them without a care.

But then teams started ramming their delusions of grandeur down their throats, and they've been pretty much on their back foot ever since, looking like Tyson after Buster Douglas knocked him onto his back in round 9.

And don't think that firing the coach and his staff is going to be some magical mystery cure that will put things to rights. It might give them a dead cat bounce for a little while, but the heart of the matter is that if this core group of players aren't willing or able to put in the hours to become great, bringing in Scotty Bowman or Al Arbour won't make for a lasting fix.

Edmonton as a city needs to come to grips with the fact they are still rebuilding. The previous rebuild is rendered moot by Chiarelli squandering all of Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, and Schultz and turning that into basically a no offence 2/3 D like Larsson and nothing else (Strome is a goner).

They probably are missing the playoffs this year and could miss next year too as Chia has handcuffed the team salary wise.

Oilers fans just need to accept that and not take it out on McDavid and Draisaitl. They are kids. And believe me, I have no hestation to criticize, but these are 20-22 year old kids.

The team is like Winnipeg, Calgary, Florida, Colorado and several other young break out teams that were supposed to be legit contenders but then took steps back. IMO Chia bears the brunt of the blame but it is what it is.

Best thing for the franchise is for the GM and coach to man up and take the brunt of the blame. Not the kids. We need a few more good draft picks as much as no one wants to admit it, but that's what happens when your management is incompetent.

Reactions: Throttlehead

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Post gave me chills. Bravo.

Did it? I read it as more coach blaming and player blaming and damn these players making millions.

I might have said stuff like that a dozen years ago. Entitled pro players is a reality. The best you can hope for is that they are not entitled too much and that they are coachable.

Coaches exist as disposable product that are underpaid relative to the players that they are *managing*. Its a fairly untenable prospect whereby you have to try to find a way to have authority over others that are paid 10 to 100 times what you make and that have no trade longterm contracts. The art to navigating this thin ice seldom lasts more than a few years.

We follow a league in which the best player in Ottawa completely deepsixes his team with an announcement that sounds like he won't sign in Ottawa. The team proceeds to be shell shocked and goes immediately into a losing streak tail spin. A team going from 2OT game 7 SC final to possibly missing the playoffs. Due essentially to one selfish player saying the worst thing at the worst possible time and DURING the season. What kind of asshat negotiates contract and airs that DURING the season?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Did it? I read it as more coach blaming and player blaming and damn these players making millions.

I might have said stuff like that a dozen years ago. Entitled pro players is a reality. The best you can hope for is that they are not entitled too much and that they are coachable.

Coaches exist as disposable product that are underpaid relative to the players that they are *managing*. Its a fairly untenable prospect whereby you have to try to find a way to have authority over others that are paid 10 to 100 times what you make and that have no trade longterm contracts. The art to navigating this thin ice seldom lasts more than a few years.

We follow a league in which the best player in Ottawa completely deepsixes his team with an announcement that sounds like he won't sign in Ottawa. The team proceeds to be shell shocked and goes immediately into a losing streak tail spin. A team going from 2OT game 7 SC final to possibly missing the playoffs. Due essentially to one selfish player saying the worst thing at the worst possible time and DURING the season. What kind of asshat negotiates contract and airs that DURING the season?
Hopefully one on his way here with all this cap space we're apparently acquiring. ;)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

If you’re saying the system is broken, I agree with you. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Edmonton as a city needs to come to grips with the fact they are still rebuilding. The previous rebuild is rendered moot by Chiarelli squandering all of Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, and Schultz and turning that into basically a no offence 2/3 D like Larsson and nothing else (Strome is a goner).

They probably are missing the playoffs this year and could miss next year too as Chia has handcuffed the team salary wise.

Oilers fans just need to accept that and not take it out on McDavid and Draisaitl. They are kids. And believe me, I have no hestation to criticize, but these are 20-22 year old kids.

The team is like Winnipeg, Calgary, Florida, Colorado and several other young break out teams that were supposed to be legit contenders but then took steps back. IMO Chia bears the brunt of the blame but it is what it is.

Best thing for the franchise is for the GM and coach to man up and take the brunt of the blame. Not the kids. We need a few more good draft picks as much as no one wants to admit it, but that's what happens when your management is incompetent.
just cause they're "rebuilding" doesn't give them an excuse to do a complete no-show against the Sabres, Blues, Yotes, or Flyers

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This season is a good kick in the pants for our players. Last year they surprised teams with their play, now teams are amped up to play Mcdavid and the Oilers. It's a good learning lesson for the team to always be prepared. Hopefully they learn this lesson sooner than later.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
This loss was one of the biggest letdowns of the season.

We are losing to teams like Buffalo and Philly coming off ridiculous losing streaks.
We still play "down" to our opponents all the while still sitting in the bottom 3-5 teams ourselves.

Sickening.

Reactions: Del Preston

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Ya, in a lot of Leon’s German interviews he seems to be a bit full of himself.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ya, in a lot of Leon’s German interviews he seems to be a bit full of himself.
Yep, unfortunately I noted that as well. Was a bit surprised about it initially but can't say that he comes across all that well away from the rink. Even in translation one can get indication of it.

But I think in general pro sports athletes are different than what we would think, or like them to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad