Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4 Oilers 2

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Eberle has never played for a successful team. Ever. Not in junior, not in the NHL. You could become an Islander fan if you like. We all know you're not an Oiler fan.
I forgot that one player makes a team, right?

Eberle's team is in a playoff spot. This one isn't even close to the playoffs, nor does it look close to a successful team. Did last night's hilariously bad loss inspire hope in anyone that this team is turning it around?

Maybe when Mr. Fünke stops blowing himself he can fix the f***ing mess he's made.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
There are things I don't like about McLellan and his staff.

But he is still a proven good to great coach. What you are suggesting is madness, if your serious, and would set us up for another decade of darkness.

McTavish is never the answer.

Is he really though? Or is he a guy who was fortunate to from a team loaded with prime Thornton, Mareleau, Pavelski etc to one with Connor McDavid?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Eberle's team is in a playoff spot. This one isn't even close to the playoffs, nor does it look close to a successful team. Did last night's hilariously bad loss inspire hope in anyone that this team is turning it around?

Maybe when Mr. Fünke stops blowing himself he can fix the ****ing mess he's made.
welcome back btw

did you get banned or something?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

This is dissapointing to see continuously. I think the motivation thing and the team not being able to put together good back to back performances could be on the players. But the powerplay is definitely on the coaching staff. There is zero logic to their powerplay and honestly it just hasnt worked at all. Despite it not working at all, they have made very little to no adjustments. Same with the penalty kill. Theres enough talent on this team to make a powerplay good. It may not be the best, but certainly top 15 (especially considering you have the best offensive player in the league). The coach needs to create a system that fits the players, rather than manipulating the players to play his system.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Felt kinda bad when this happened because I was watching with my older brother and when we saw an Oiler lying on the ice we thought it might have been McDavid. And then I saw the number I said "oh it's just Letestu."

I can't be the only one. :eek:
Imagine if Kassian did that crosscheck....Probably, An Attempt To Injure penalty...

Oct 15, 2008
That is in my opinion what sums up the Oilers problems over the last 11 years.
Players come and their performance generally degrades over time.
Why couldn't we get production out of Eberle? Why can't our players play motivated. Do we need to build them a special sunshine room to get their vitamin d in the winter?
Hell they usually .. like this year. Have the bed completely crapped before winter even starts here. It can't be the winter blues.

Does the city.. team staff...weather.. make them not give a **** about hockey?

Before we all knew they sucked. Had some high draft picks for hope. But in most fans hearts it was just hope. Maybe this is the year our young guys turn that step. It never manifests with this team though. Rarely do we get the best out of a player. We haven't had a player stay and truly excel since Smyth. It's always this peak with degrading play afterwards.

This year is different. Expectations completely bed shat. They're the same team that we saw 10 years before last year to a T. Can't score consistently. Can't stop a puck consistently. Don't appear to be playing hard consistently (they look slow and disinterested.).

Eberle came in like a house on fire. All the promise in the world. But each year his play degraded until he had to go.

This teams ultimate failing is not figuring out how to motivate players to want to succeed. In essence.. the loser attitude eventually dominates this dressing room and crushes the players soul.
I don't even know what they'd do to fix it. They've tried coaches, gms, presidents etc. Fired scouting staffs. God they drafted the best player since Crosby.. can we possibly turn him into an average hockey player?

Good post. I certainly don't have the answers but I do believe the winning attitude starts at the top of the organization. We've seen it in Edmonton over the years with both the hockey and football teams. Sather and Hugh Campbell vs Mact/Klowe and LeLacheur/Rhodes. It trickles down and permeates.

Reactions: RegDunlop
Oct 15, 2008

Maybe when Mr. Fünke stops blowing himself he can fix the ****ing mess he's made.

Great players elevate their team's to greatness. Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Orr... its what they do. Passengers like Eberle are just along for the ride. When things go sideways they look for others to blame (media, fans), winners accept personal responsibility, they own it, they don't shirk it.

If Eberle had any value, he would have returned more than the bag of wet cement we got for him. Obviously the rest of the league was already hip to his disappearing act.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Great players elevate their team's to greatness. Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Orr... its what they do. Passengers like Eberle are just along for the ride. When things go sideways they look for others to blame (media, fans), winners accept personal responsibility, they own it, they don't shirk it.

If Eberle had any value, he would have returned more than the bag of wet cement we got for him. Obviously the rest of the league was already hip to his disappearing act.

So why trade him then? Why does this organization have this obsession with selling low on players? Eberle wasn't perfect but he was useful, something that cannot be said about Strome. Chia keeps getting bent over by the Isles yet he keeps going to that well.

Nobody's expecting Eberle to be Gretzky. I wouldn't even expect that out of McDavid. But trading him for an invalid wasn't the answer. Apparently this team has plenty of passengers, at least that's what I saw last night.

Maybe Eberle wasn't as big of a problem as people on this board made him out to be? If nothing else this team isn't better without him. It's worse. You and many other people kept spouting "Addition by subtraction", well what did we add by subtracting Eberle? Anything? Hell why wasn't RNH dealt as well? He was even worse than Eberle last year and had just as lousy a playoffs. Was it because Matt Dumba was the best Chia could get?

Reactions: harpoon

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Please dont blame LB thats pathetic

Blame Chia for putting him in this position he clearly isnt an NHL goalie and instead of continuing to let him develop as a starter in the AHL he has sat on the bench instead.

Its so ridiculously easy to acquire a good backup, there are alot of them. A 4th round pick is all it takes to avoid this headache. Or for FREE in free agency the past two seasons.

This is a very good point. Talbot played so many games last season, in no way helps LB progress his talent. Probably regressed him if anything.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Chia's "death by a thousand cuts" really is an apt description of this team.

You've got a GM who has assembled some half-ass team, a coach who seemingly has no ability to actually game plan or motivate and players who either forgot how to play hockey or just look like they don't care.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

You've got a GM who has assembled some half-ass team, a coach who seemingly has no ability to actually game plan or motivate and players who either forgot how to play hockey or just look like they don't care.
Maybe they can give away knives for fan appreciation night.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Theres also a huge disconnect between the two. PC has his idea what a team should be. TM has his idea of what a team should be. And neither of them are close to each others.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
It's pretty clear this team has given up on the season. There's no excuse to, game after game, come out and look like sh75 in the first period or two. The hunger is not there. They know the odds of making the playoffs are against them and they just can't get up for games anymore. The spark is gone. There's no jump. I think if there is to be a significant trade it may spark some jump in the team but I wouldn't make that trade just for the sake of it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Theres also a huge disconnect between the two. PC has his idea what a team should be. TM has his idea of what a team should be. And neither of them are close to each others.

And because of that, the players have no idea what a team should be.

They look like a bunch of players playing their own style of game with no actual cohesive identity to bring it all together.

I can't imagine being a young guy breaking onto this team. Like take Slepyshev, for example. Are they telling him what aspects they want him to focus on(i.e. physicality, speed, skill, etc.) or just telling him to go out there and "play his game"? It sure looks like the latter for most of the players on this team.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Yep, I posted those same sentiments not long ago that these two aren't even reading from the same text book let alone the same page.

Oct 15, 2008
So why trade him then? Why does this organization have this obsession with selling low on players? Eberle wasn't perfect but he was useful, something that cannot be said about Strome. Chia keeps getting bent over by the Isles yet he keeps going to that well.

Nobody's expecting Eberle to be Gretzky. I wouldn't even expect that out of McDavid. But trading him for an invalid wasn't the answer. Apparently this team has plenty of passengers, at least that's what I saw last night.

Maybe Eberle wasn't as big of a problem as people on this board made him out to be? If nothing else this team isn't better without him. It's worse. You and many other people kept spouting "Addition by subtraction", well what did we add by subtracting Eberle? Anything? Hell why wasn't RNH dealt as well? He was even worse than Eberle last year and had just as lousy a playoffs. Was it because Matt Dumba was the best Chia could get?

They got rid of him because of two reasons. First his don't give a shit floater attitude is toxic, secondly because in a cap world you can't afford to pay a player 6m to be a passenger. They probably would have preferred no return over having to take another sandbag back in the deal, but seeing as how their sack of crap costs less towards the cap than ours did, that was good enough.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They got rid of him because of two reasons. First his don't give a **** floater attitude is toxic, secondly because in a cap world you can't afford to pay a player 6m to be a passenger. They probably would have preferred no return over having to take another sandbag back in the deal, but seeing as how their sack of crap costs less towards the cap than ours did, that was good enough.
Well great, can we get rid of all the other passengers on this team then? Because there's a lot of them right now other than McDavid. And speaking of 6m floaters, how about Lucic? Although in fairness to Lucic, anchors don't actually float.

There's no cap hell to deal with this year, and since Chia wisely decided to spend all the cap money he saved on absolutely nothing, this deal becomes even more braindead. Trade Eberle next offseason. What are we going to spend all this cap space on now? Is Tavares coming? Stamkos maybe? Crosby? Ovechkin? Karlsson? Price? Maybe Gaudreau wants to defect?

Unless that cap space went towards something the deal was completely inexcusable. I'd honestly rather have a 6m floater than a 2.5m healthy scratch and cap space that we aren't spending.

Reactions: CornKicker

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
Well great, can we get rid of all the other passengers on this team then? Because there's a lot of them right now other than McDavid. And speaking of 6m floaters, how about Lucic? Although in fairness to Lucic, anchors don't actually float.

There's no cap hell to deal with this year, and since Chia wisely decided to spend all the cap money he saved on absolutely nothing, this deal becomes even more braindead. Trade Eberle next offseason. What are we going to spend all this cap space on now? Is Tavares coming? Stamkos maybe? Crosby? Ovechkin? Karlsson? Price? Maybe Gaudreau wants to defect?

Unless that cap space went towards something the deal was completely inexcusable. I'd honestly rather have a 6m floater than a 2.5m healthy scratch and cap space that we aren't spending.
I've been extremely critical of Looch since day 1... that said he has been good this year. His issue is he's not a puck carrier. Get him in the O-zone and he dominates... the reason he's stolen the spot from 19.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Is he really though? Or is he a guy who was fortunate to from a team loaded with prime Thornton, Mareleau, Pavelski etc to one with Connor McDavid?

Yes he is... Oilers fans should know better than anyone talent without good coaching and systems is moot.

We’ve seen bad coaching. In spades. I honestly don’t understand how anyone can rationally say McLellan isn’t at least a good coach.

Eventually players tune out good coaches. Or a good coach is a bad fit for the team. That is not the case yet anyway.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yes he is... Oilers fans should know better than anyone talent without good coaching and systems is moot.

We’ve seen bad coaching. In spades. I honestly don’t understand how anyone can rationally say McLellan isn’t at least a good coach.

Eventually players tune out good coaches. Or a good coach is a bad fit for the team. That is not the case yet anyway.

I'd say McLellan is an average coach. Nothing special in any way.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

sure would be nice is eberle was "disappearing" on our 2nd line and actually providing some secondary scoring to help win games now.....when we need to

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
They got rid of him because of two reasons. First his don't give a **** floater attitude is toxic, secondly because in a cap world you can't afford to pay a player 6m to be a passenger. They probably would have preferred no return over having to take another sandbag back in the deal, but seeing as how their sack of crap costs less towards the cap than ours did, that was good enough.
passengers don't score 50-60pts every single year. complimentary players are needed and guess what a 60pts winger would cost you in FA............at least 6M. there was no logical reason to trade eberle for strome. strome is a complete bum.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The problem wasn't trading Eberle. Eberle would have been a 15 point, -8 player right now on this team this year.

The issue was replacing Eberle with Strome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->