OT: Florida Panthers All-Time Number Team: #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Sheltered or properly developed in the NHL/putting the best players out there for the situation?

Why would we have Ekblad out there in a defensive zone faceoff when the Kulikov-Mitchell was by far our best defensive pairing?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Sheltered or properly developed in the NHL/putting the best players out there for the situation?

Why would we have Ekblad out there in a defensive zone faceoff when the Kulikov-Mitchell was by far our best defensive pairing?

That has no bearing on a poll like this though.

We are debating why one was better than the other.

Gord was used in ALL situations

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Recency effect for the win. Everyone loves Ekblad. He's the future.

And that hair tho.

aaron-ekblad-headshot.png

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Are we voting on length of service and total points scored, or the best all round play during their tenure?

In my previous post I noted that the +/- between the two is quite a bit in favour of Ek.

I don't think a player should be punished in the polls because they haven't put as much time in as another player.

Just voting on the "best Panther" who wore that number, whatever your definition of best is. You really only need to compare them against those that wore the same number. It's otherwise totally subjective. You might pick one because you just liked them more than the other, doesn't matter. And again remember that it only counts for the time that they were/are a Panther. Don't include other teams they may have played for as that could easily skew some results.

EstConf96*

Murph - 410 GP - 142 PTS - 0.35 PTS/GP
playoffs - 19 GP - 9 PTS - 0.47 PTS/GP

Ek - 123 GP - 58 PTS - 0.47 PTS/GP

Well Ekblad won Calder and have the team record for most goals as a rookie D. Murphy did not win anything. Vote goes to Ekblad.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
As a fan since 93, it's still Ekblad to me. He beats a bunch from 96 at this TIME already in my mind. Current Ekblad would be close to R.Nieds/Mellanby (he'll pass those guys value easily). Right now he'd lose to : Beezer, Jovo, PBUre,Weiss.Jokinen and maybe half dozen or so other names. That's how good Ekblad is in season #2 and how bad Panthers top end value has been. Ekblad is already inside top 15 all time to me.

Ekblast

"We're still learning." -Coach Brunette.
Nov 9, 2002
Flori-duh
www.Reddit.com
this is the answer. As great as Ekblad has been in 1.5 years, he isn't the best panther to wear #5. Gord was a very good player for a long time. I have no doubt that Ekblad will be the best #5 in team history, but as of this date, Gord Murphy was better.

Could not have said it better myself.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Yes, he won our Prince of Whales trophy.

<------------ See Avatar

Probably one of my favourite pictures of all time.

If anyone knows where I could find a better quality picture than this, please let me know. I'd love a framed print to hang in my sports den at my house.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Maybe we should be voting for Allen than? :sarcasm: :laugh:
I would. He was a positive in the lineup when he was in it. Gord Murphy too.

Aaron Ekblad is already so damn great, I wouldn't take any defenseman we've ever had over him. He's the calder winning,
2 out of 2 all star selected, owner of #5!!!

With all full respect due to any other player, THIS AINT CLOSE!! EKBLAD!

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Recency effect for the win. Everyone loves Ekblad. He's the future.

And that hair tho.

aaron-ekblad-headshot.png

We're lucky to have him. If that asshead didn't clobber him that way, I wouldnt be worried he would become the next Booth. DROVE HIS HEAD STRAIGHT INTO THE GLASS.

Couldn't be more pissed.

On a lighter note, how pissed I am is how valuable he is to this team. This is still hockey, I want to see them make the oilers life hell for an hour

Last edited:

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Speaking only for myself, it's closer than the poll looks. A vote for Ekblad doesn't discount the great years Murphy had with the team. Choosing between Shep, Horton, Barkov, and even (personal nod) Hortichuk for the number 16 might be even more contentious.

This will likely be my toughest one. I'll need the HR breakdown of numbers between the three players, and posters on here who saw those three guys combined the most live in panthers colours with opinion mixed into stat line.
That poll will not be first reaction vote for me.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
This will likely be my toughest one. I'll need the HR breakdown of numbers between the three players, and posters on here who saw those three guys combined the most live in panthers colours with opinion mixed into stat line.
That poll will not be first reaction vote for me.

#16 is the Panthers most popular #, worn 17 times :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad