Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I gotta say, from a fan standpoint, I didn’t really care for the OHL Showcase last year, and I’m kind of disappointed to see that the Firebirds are participating in it again this year. Would much rather see another preseason game or two in Flint and have the additional opportunity to see some of the prospects.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I gotta say, from a fan standpoint, I didn’t really care for the OHL Showcase last year, and I’m kind of disappointed to see that the Firebirds are participating in it again this year. Would much rather see another preseason game or two in Flint and have the additional opportunity to see some of the prospects.
Well, I'm sure it's nice for the 16 people who showed up to watch it last year. Seems the OHL is determined to try and push into the Buffalo market. A lot of kids will probably be cut by the time Flint plays Saginaw, so it denies the fans a chance to see them. It would also be nice if we got more than one exhibition game thrown in for the cost of our season tickets. It's a nice facility and I'd be less critical if I was going to go but I'll be saving my hockey $ for real road games and playoff games this year.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
It is also not good business sense to not get a good home date at your home arena or two.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint starts on the road for three games:

Fri. Sept 21st. @ Kitchener
Sat. Sept 22nd. @ Erie
Fri. Sept 28th. @ Sarnia
Sat Sept 29th. Home. London

Last edited:

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013

Sat. Sept 22nd. @ London
Fri. Sept 28th. @ Sarnia
Flint's game on the 22nd is in Erie. This will be the 1st time in the Otter's history that they start the season at home.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

Sat. Sept 22nd. @ London
Fri. Sept 28th. @ Sarnia

Based on the standings this year, thats a tough first 3 games. I know the rosters will turnover a bit, I see Kitchener taking a step back, and possibly Sarnia, but London will probably be legit top team again next year.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
MJ5’ the Sept 22nd game should be against Erie. Sorry about that. Still a tough opponent.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
MJ5’ the Sept 22nd game should be against Erie. Sorry about that. Still a tough opponent.

May make it even tougher then, I can see Erie being on the verge on contending again. They have some solid young talent too.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Based on the standings this year, thats a tough first 3 games. I know the rosters will turnover a bit, I see Kitchener taking a step back, and possibly Sarnia, but London will probably be legit top team again next year.
Those first couple weekends are a roll of the dice with who's gonna be back from NHL camps. Flint could have their entire roster back or everybody minus Gordeev (where I'd put my money...maybe Dellandrea too though) or even be missing 4-5 guys at camps depending on OA/Import acquisitions. Teams that are in full rebuild mode like Erie could show up with everybody while teams looking to possibly contend could be missing their top 4-5 players the first couple weekends. I'm always happy to see teams that should be contending on the schedule those first two weeks. Get some of those heavyweight games out of the way while they're handicapped and before they load up.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
By the way Rolf, 2 of the 3 big posters on the side of the building have fallen off. Time to replace faded Nedeljkovic with Cavallin and get Ty and......Busby? up there. I'd say Gordeev but I'm not 100% he'll finish the season here let alone be around next year. The big player billboards were a nice touch. I'd like to see new ones every few years. I'm sure the chosen players love it too.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
28 of 34 home Firebird games on weekends or holiday week games:

7 Home WEDNESDAY games
8 Home FRIDAY games
15 Home SATURDAY games
4 Home SUNDAY games

Most frequent opponents? Saginaw and Sarmia (our two closest rivals) 8 times each.

Last edited:

StingDrone

Sep 21, 2017
topof106.tumblr.com
Flint doesnt even play its pre-season games at the Dort do they?
That is puzzling why they would not play one preseason game at the IMA (hey, I'm old - I never got used to it being Perani Arena). That is when you test everything during a game situation. Work out all the bugs in the arena (check for scoreboard issues, inhouse video, sound system,wifi, locker room showers, etc.) Better to check all this and make sure everything is in working order rather than waiting for something to pop up on opening night.
Also, Firebirds fans should complain about not having a preseason game until Sept. 14. By then all players drafted or invited to NHL camps will be away. By the time you have your 1 "home" game you will see mostly players fighting for a spot on the team rather than seeing the actual regular season lineup.

Reactions: Savard18

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
That is puzzling why they would not play one preseason game at the IMA (hey, I'm old - I never got used to it being Perani Arena). That is when you test everything during a game situation. Work out all the bugs in the arena (check for scoreboard issues, inhouse video, sound system,wifi, locker room showers, etc.) Better to check all this and make sure everything is in working order rather than waiting for something to pop up on opening night.
Also, Firebirds fans should complain about not having a preseason game until Sept. 14. By then all players drafted or invited to NHL camps will be away. By the time you have your 1 "home" game you will see mostly players fighting for a spot on the team rather than seeing the actual regular season lineup.
They probably won't even have the ice laid down at Dort on Sept 14th. You're right, though...with an aging building, I'd want to make sure that nothing was going to fail on Opening Night.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
This is my updated guesstimation. Obviously there will be trades as well

F-Connor Roberts
Evan Vierling. R
Jake Durham
Ty Dellandrea
Jack Wismer
Ryan Mansfield. R
CJ Clarke
Ethan Keppen
Jan Jenik. Import
Hunter Holmes
Eric Yuba. R to Flint
Kyle Harris
Littlejohn or Phibbs or Collins or Winnerton R to Flint

D-Dennis Busby
Nikita Alexandria. Import
Riley McCourt
Marcus Gretz
Fedor Gordeev
Michael Bianconi. R
Hakon Nilsen
Zach Pilon ?

G-Luke Cavallin
Aidan Pitre or Evan Morrison. R to Flint

This would be with 3 true rookies (2018 draft picks). Hanging by a thread are Littlejohn, Phibbs, Collins, Winnerton, and Pilon. Most of you seem to think Harris is a shoe-in. Bianconi, Mansfield, and Jenik still need to sign and make the team.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Kyle Harris isn't going anywhere. I like Phibbs and he played some of the best hockey of his OHL career in the last few games last season but I just don't see a spot for him on THIS roster. I'm not completely sold that Mansfield, Winterton or even Uba are guaranteed a spot just yet and I wouldn't be shocked to see Clarke, Durham, Wismer or Littlejohn moved. I like all those kids' game and see potential but the numbers game is catching somebody out.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Updated predictions June 13, 2018. Obviously there will be trades as well

F-Connor Roberts
Evan Vierling. R
Jake Durham
Ty Dellandrea
Jack Wismer
Ryan Mansfield. R
CJ Clarke
Ethan Keppen
IMPORT
Jacob Winterton. R to Flint
Hunter Holmes
Eric Yuba. R to Flint
Ryan Littlejohn or Kyle Harris or Jack Phibbs

D-Dennis Busby
Riley McCourt
Marcus Gretz
Fedor Gordeev
Michael Bianconi. R
Hakon Nilsen
Jack Pilon
Jacob Collins. (Could very possibly be waived)

G-Luke Cavallin
Aidan Pitre or Evan Morrison. R to Flint

This would be with 3 true rookies (2018 draft picks)
Zach Pilon not Jack. Also Jacob Collins is a forward not a defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad