Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Well, that's about 28 months away so I'm not gonna panic just yet and blowing only 1 1st or 2nd round pick in 4 years is about as good as any team in the league has done.
When you are 19th out of 20 teams, 28 months is not good enough! Not sure about you, but I would prefer to select someone 22nd overall to play in 4 months.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Papista still listed on the Staff Directory on the 'Birds website. In the past when someone has left the organization, their name has been removed pretty quickly. I heard the rumors that he wouldn't be back about 6 weeks ago or so...will be interesting to see where this leads.

STAFF DIRECTORY – Flint Firebirds

EDIT-His personal LinkedIn page seems to give an end date of April 2018 for his time with the Firebirds, along with the Firebirds listed as "previous" employment...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/costapapista

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Papista still listed on the Staff Directory on the 'Birds website. In the past when someone has left the organization, their name has been removed pretty quickly. I heard the rumors that he wouldn't be back about 6 weeks ago or so...will be interesting to see where this leads.

STAFF DIRECTORY – Flint Firebirds

EDIT-His personal LinkedIn page seems to give an end date of April 2018 for his time with the Firebirds, along with the Firebirds listed as "previous" employment...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/costapapista
Maybe Papista was the guy in charge of name removal?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Some questions come to mind:

1). Is Rolf Nielsen and Terry Christiansen responsible for identifying a new team president?

2). Is Terry Christensen a candidate for team president?

3). Does the league have any input in who the president will be?

This is a critical position in the overall success of a franchise, and therefore my significant concern.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Noticed that the Firebirds are using a picture of Jacob Collins on their most recent season ticket advertisement. I guess you could read that as a hint that they are planning on him returning as an Over-Ager.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Noticed that the Firebirds are using a picture of Jacob Collins on their most recent season ticket advertisement. I guess you could read that as a hint that they are planning on him returning as an Over-Ager.
Well that's good for him. He's stuck it out and is one of only two original Firebirds, along with the possibility of being the last Whaler in the OHL. He's a veteran who's solid defensively and from what little I've heard, a solid all-around kid. Talent wise though, I think they could probably acquire an OA upgrade for free or very, very cheap.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Well that's good for him. He's stuck it out and is one of only two original Firebirds, along with the possibility of being the last Whaler in the OHL. He's a veteran who's solid defensively and from what little I've heard, a solid all-around kid. Talent wise though, I think they could probably acquire an OA upgrade for free or very, very cheap.
I believe you are correct. Talent wise - not high end. But does everything that is asked of him. Placed defense half of last year due to injuries. I don't think he has gotten a fair shake due to that. I believe he has earned the opportunity to be an OA. With what I have heard, we will have 1 OA spot open as well as 1 import. Should the firebirds carry more players than in years past? They have been carrying 23 and some teams have 25-26. Is there a rule that dictates how many they can have on the roster?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I see it totally different than you guys. If we are serious about being more competitive and winning, Collins needs to go. I wish him well, but -29 in 61 games and only eight points for this veteran (I know he played 1/2 his games on defense) does not warrant a roster spot IMO. That position is much better served by another OA from another team who could probably be had by one of our many upcoming picks.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Greenway leaves NCAA but not fo the OHL.. Damn, that would've been a massive get for Flint. He'd be a top power forward in the league

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Any of you guys familiar with him? He might be a face from around the arena I'd recognize but I don't know anything about him.

Ha, I actually deal with Jeremy all the time and chat with him every time I see him on the concourse of the arena.

He's a good dude, not sure how connected he is into hockey tho. He has been the GM of the Dort for awhile.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Any of you guys familiar with him? He might be a face from around the arena I'd recognize but I don't know anything about him.
Flint Firebirds consolidate jobs of team president, arena manager

"The Firebirds are the third Flint hockey team Torrey has worked for.

He was originally hired by the Flint Generals and spent one season working for the team and another two working for both the Generals and the arena. He also oversaw the Michigan Warriors' business operations for three years after the North American Hockey League team was sold to an arena management company.

Torrey has spent the last 11 years as the arena manager."

Reactions: MJ5

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Here are two of Flint’s exhibition games:

Friday Sept 14th; Saginaw at Flint
Saturday Sept 15th; Flint at Saginaw. (Dow Event Center)

The site of the Friday game in Flint has not been announced. Saginaw is also playing 3 exhibition games between August 31st and Sept. 2nd in Kitchner’s OHL Showcase Series.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
He signed when he was here for the orientation camp a month ago. Announced today. Welcome to Evan and family.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I don't mean this disrespectfully, but you guys seem to have a lot of turnover. Is the general thought here that this is a good move?

Personally, I think anyone that's part of the owners original staff should be gone. Just waiting on Terry Christensen to go next.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I hope Bouchard lasts until the Red Wings 6th pick. The OHL should be well represented.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad