Flint Firebirds 2015-16 Season Thread ‎(part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
The Firebirds have five '96's. Which three do you see them keeping as OAs next year???

Vilardi-C
Seeger-F
Peters-D
Henderson-D
Moran-G

Vilardi-decent chance to start season at least

Peters-almost no chance. He probably off to AHL.

Seeger-could probably let him go.

Henderson-For sure to start season, maybe shop him around to see if someone needs a offensive D-man.

Moran-don't see the need with Keyser and other guy from Sudbury.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
That's probably pretty accurate depending on who's interested in returning....I'm not sure everything is stabilized now and there won't be issues. Could be totally fine with everybody though. Who knows? Seeger can go, he's looked better lately and puts in the effort but he barely gets any playing time now. On THIS roster? Later. Vilardi for sure. Great in the circle, solid defensively and chips in offensively. Henderson for sure. Peters will most likely be in the AHL, but he's not been as impressive as his reputation. Can just be slow to move the puck at times, allowing a F to close the gap and create one on one battles, doesn't create much offensively, will just lose the puck or stumble occasionally. Doesn't always play as big as his size. He's good but he's not Brent Seabrook. I'll be really surprised if he returns but not completely shocked. I AM GLAD HE WASN'T TRADED but I was expecting more out of someone who was supposed to challenge for a Canadian WJC spot. I could see more Moran returning. Especially if Keyser takes a step backwards after surgery and missing so much time. If Menna looks good and Keyser progresses though? There probably won't be a lot of need for him, especially considering he'd be taking an OA spot. Would think Dallas has a little say in the matter. If Keyser hadn't got hurt I'm not sure he wouldn't be the man right now. He looked really solid and composed for a 16yo.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
That's probably pretty accurate depending on who's interested in returning....I'm not sure everything is stabilized now and there won't be issues. Could be totally fine with everybody though. Who knows? Seeger can go, he's looked better lately and puts in the effort but he barely gets any playing time now. On THIS roster? Later. Vilardi for sure. Great in the circle, solid defensively and chips in offensively. Henderson for sure. Peters will most likely be in the AHL, but he's not been as impressive as his reputation. Can just be slow to move the puck at times, allowing a F to close the gap and create one on one battles, doesn't create much offensively, will just lose the puck or stumble occasionally. Doesn't always play as big as his size. He's good but he's not Brent Seabrook. I'll be really surprised if he returns but not completely shocked. I AM GLAD HE WASN'T TRADED but I was expecting more out of someone who was supposed to challenge for a Canadian WJC spot. I could see more Moran returning. Especially if Keyser takes a step backwards after surgery and missing so much time. If Menna looks good and Keyser progresses though? There probably won't be a lot of need for him, especially considering he'd be taking an OA spot. Would think Dallas has a little say in the matter. If Keyser hadn't got hurt I'm not sure he wouldn't be the man right now. He looked really solid and composed for a 16yo.

Agree on Peters, I don't think he's a lock to be in the AHL next year. He would have been exposed on that Canadian WJC D group this year against some of the best players in the world shift after shift. He's 50/50 in my book to return next year. Vilardi will be back for sure. I assume Menna is here over Moran but who knows.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Nothing to really say after last nights game, the D was awful, and this team just can't score. Moran has actually been pretty good but we're dead last on the power play now. I expect a Kingston victory tonight, London should win too so we shouldn't fall more than 5 points behind Saginaw.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Currently we would have the 4th and 5th pick in the OHL Priority Draft in June. However, with 33 pts., Hamilton with 31 pts. and Sudbury wth 24 pts., I think we are looking awful and will probably finish 17th of 20 teams and have the 3rd and 5th overall picks in April. Then the fun part is trying to get them to commit. I do not see us winning any of our next five games.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
In that regard, currently, 4 of the top 5 prospects from HockeyProspect.com are defenseman and 6 of the top 10. The top 3 prospects right now are all defenseman:

1 LD WILDE, BODE 6'02" 185 CHICAGO MISSION U16 (HPHL)
2 RD MERKLEY, RYAN 5'09.75" 155 TORONTO JR. CANADIENS (GTHL)
3 LW NIZHNIKOV, KIRILL 6'01" 190 TORONTO JR. CANADIENS (GTHL)
4 RD EMBERSON, TY 5'11.5" 183 TEAM WISCONSIN U16
5 LD VALLATI, GIOVANNI 6'00.5" 186 VAUGHAN KINGS (GTHL)
6 FW JENKINS, BLADE 5'11.5" 177 DETROIT COMPUWARE U16 (HPHL)
7 RD STRATIS, PETER 5'11.25" 182 MISSISSAUGA REBELS (GTHL)
8 RD BUSBY, DENNIS 5'10" 176 BARRIE JR. COLTS (ETA)
9 LC HAYTON, BARRETT 6'00" 175 TORONTO RED WINGS (GTHL)
10 LC RANDL, JACK 5'11" 175 CHICAGO MISSION U16 (HPHL)

Courtesy of HockeyProspect.com and their top 10 OHL draft prospects. All 2018 prospects. This was realeased in December 2015.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Henderson...Minus 8 in a game 1/2 so far this weekend.....keeps getting put back out there, though.....too much offensive skill to sit.

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
In that regard, currently, 4 of the top 5 prospects from HockeyProspect.com are defenseman and 6 of the top 10. The top 3 prospects right now are all defenseman:

1 LD WILDE, BODE 6'02" 185 CHICAGO MISSION U16 (HPHL)...

I'm pretty sure Wilde is committed to Harvard. Saw him with Honeybaked in the Silver Sticks last year. Was a definite standout. Played every position and in every situation.

AngryWhalersFan

Nov 22, 2014
Henderson...Minus 8 in a game 1/2 so far this weekend.....keeps getting put back out there, though.....

The last two times I saw him play it was rough. A little surprised Di Carlo isn't getting more icetime with how rough D has been. Good to see Vili get a goal tonight.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I do not follow it as closely as some of you, but does this years top of the class appear weaker than last April's draft or is it to early to tell?

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
The last two times I saw him play it was rough. A little surprised Di Carlo isn't getting more icetime with how rough D has been. Good to see Vili get a goal tonight.

On the ice for 13 goals against in the last 3 games.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
On the ice for 13 goals against in the last 3 games.:help:

Yeah, since month one I've been less and less impressed with him in all facets of the game. For a kid that can skate like he can it's frustrating. He can shoot and stick handle too but he seems generate very little with it and his mental errors and risk taking drive me nuts. The trade mark skate into the neutral zone and stand there flat footed after drop passing to a forward bit too. I cringe every time I see him paired with Henderson. Those two have to lead the league in sh goals against by a wide margin. Henderson would pinch if he was playing in goal. I do prefer him handling the puck on the breakout though. You can nitpick or flat out ridicule pretty much every Firebird skaters game over the last month or so, I just get frustrated with Ville because he gets so much hype. From the media and everybody that sits in my section seem to think he's Brian Leetch. Factor in size and I don't see him in the AHL next season. Bitten's slowly watching his draft stock fall too. There's so many weak spots with this group it can be difficult which one to blame. It's a rough stretch, it happens, it'll get a little better. Everybody's been playing bad and being unlucky too. We're about to get a little better idea just how good John Gruden is. Unbelievable as it seems, theoretically playoffs are still possible, but some fixes are needed immediately. As far as the upcoming draft is concerned and with how things have played out this season I hope they don't draft more than one kid who is NCAA committed in the first two rounds.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I do not follow it as closely as some of you, but does this years top of the class appear weaker than last April's draft or is it to early to tell?

Tough to tell, some really good ones that will go early. Flint needs offense though, I wouldn't pick a kid that might go NCAA/NTDP early. Pivonka is a really good player for the Chicago Mission U16 as well, I think the NTDP might push for him though. They need someone to step in and get experience as a 16 yo, then be more of an impact player the following year when we could make some noise in the league. Our first 2 picks need to be kids that want to go OHL and can be scorers for our team in the near future. By the way, go to Thescout.ca for better info on rankings and prospects, they do the best job.

EDIT: I think one of our first two picks should be a D man, preferably the 2nd pick that we have in the 1st round. I like Vallati, but another kid I like is DJ King from the Rebels. Could be a punishing defensman in this league and has a good shot while not being a bad skater. Merkley should be gone so we will lose his sweepstakes.

Last edited:

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Yeah, since month one I've been less and less impressed with him in all facets of the game. For a kid that can skate like he can it's frustrating. He can shoot and stick handle too but he seems generate very little with it and his mental errors and risk taking drive me nuts. The trade mark skate into the neutral zone and stand there flat footed after drop passing to a forward bit too. I cringe every time I see him paired with Henderson. Those two have to lead the league in sh goals against by a wide margin. Henderson would pinch if he was playing in goal. I do prefer him handling the puck on the breakout though. You can nitpick or flat out ridicule pretty much every Firebird skaters game over the last month or so, I just get frustrated with Ville because he gets so much hype. From the media and everybody that sits in my section seem to think he's Brian Leetch. Factor in size and I don't see him in the AHL next season. Bitten's slowly watching his draft stock fall too. There's so many weak spots with this group it can be difficult which one to blame. It's a rough stretch, it happens, it'll get a little better. Everybody's been playing bad and being unlucky too. We're about to get a little better idea just how good John Gruden is. Unbelievable as it seems, theoretically playoffs are still possible, but some fixes are needed immediately. As far as the upcoming draft is concerned and with how things have played out this season I hope they don't draft more than one kid who is NCAA committed in the first two rounds.

Good points, but Bitten has to be a little burnt out at times with trying to carry the load. I think he always has decent games but there will be times when he is shut down. That's when others have to step up and the extreme lack of offense shows it's ugly head when it happens. If you put Bitten on Kitchener, Erie, or London he would immediately rise in points and production. He's still producing at a great rate on a team that is playing some awful hockey right now. I think scouts will note that and still draft him in a good spot.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Good points, but Bitten has to be a little burnt out at times with trying to carry the load. I think he always has decent games but there will be times when he is shut down. That's when others have to step up and the extreme lack of offense shows it's ugly head when it happens. If you put Bitten on Kitchener, Erie, or London he would immediately rise in points and production. He's still producing at a great rate on a team that is playing some awful hockey right now. I think scouts will note that and still draft him in a good spot.

For sure, and he's carrying the load as a 17-18yo too. I wasn't implying that his stock was gonna slip to the fourth round or anything crazy like that. Just the lack of support is magnifying any deficiencies in his game and it may cost him a few spots. Scouts DO know their job and will be aware of it. We're really seeing your point about Moore and Camaano being streaky come to fruition right now. They were on a tear for awhile and have just dissapeared over the last 10 or so. Whenever they are facing a true top flight top line, they struggle and can get hemmed in. I'd also like to see Gruden just simplify the game for them at times too. A little dump and chance occasionally won't hurt, especially now that they have Kirwan. I know if I was a D I'd get sick of retrieving pucks with him barreling down on me pretty quick.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Windsor x2, Sarnia x2 and Kitchener up next. Anybody got any ideas on how to get Roslovic and Greenway expelled from college?

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Windsor x2, Sarnia x2 and Kitchener up next. Anybody got any ideas on how to get Roslovic and Greenway expelled from college?

Haha they'd be like I'm not doing what Sonny did last year and probably wish he went to BC. He could have been the extra guy they needed to beat Denver in the NCAA tournament last year. Don't forget we still play London 3x before the season concludes. Kitchener 3x as well including next Sunday. With scoring only 1 goal in the last three games, and Saginaw now 7pts ahead, I don't care that we have a game in hand. Saginaw is playing better hockey than we are right now despite them losing Sadowy and others. If they don't pick up at least one win next weekend they will start to be in jeopardy of missing the playoffs. Even with there being like 28 games left.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Well, young J.D. Greenway scored a highlight reel game winning goal today for the U18 NTDP. Wherever he plays next year, he will be quite a player.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Well, young J.D. Greenway scored a highlight reel game winning goal today for the U18 NTDP. Wherever he plays next year, he will be quite a player.

I like Greenway's game. He needs some work with his skating but you're right, he's good. He has improved in the D zone and gained confidence in the O zone. I like the physical element he brings to his game as well, some might say it's easier for him because of his size but you have to still use it effectively and I think he does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad