Flint Firebirds 2015-16 Season Thread ‎(part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It was reported that Nilsen invested $7 million in the arena but I highly doubt he paid even $1 million for the building. I'm sure his accountants figured out a way to write off a bunch of that $7 mill too. The one saving grace is that the franchise is probably profitable right now. If they were still icing a competitive team (and they are set to do that if they can recruit) they would most likely be highly profitable as far as minor hockey profits go. For all the bad that's happened this year, the fanbase can't be faulted. If they do fail, it won't be because of a lack of community support. I do expect attendance to start dropping if they continue to play like they have been lately. And what's up with Moran still sporting his Ice Dogs lid? I'd understand if he was winning or something. Goalie superstitions and all but the dude is winless in 12. Change it up kid.

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
It was reported that Nilsen invested $7 million in the arena but I highly doubt he paid even $1 million for the building. I'm sure his accountants figured out a way to write off a bunch of that $7 mill too. The one saving grace is that the franchise is probably profitable right now. If they were still icing a competitive team (and they are set to do that if they can recruit) they would most likely be highly profitable as far as minor hockey profits go. For all the bad that's happened this year, the fanbase can't be faulted. If they do fail, it won't be because of a lack of community support. I do expect attendance to start dropping if they continue to play like they have been lately. And what's up with Moran still sporting his Ice Dogs lid? I'd understand if he was winning or something. Goalie superstitions and all but the dude is winless in 12. Change it up kid.

Ned hasn't changed his yet either. The way Niagara is playing, I wouldn't want to acknowledge that I played for them either. :laugh:

My bad... Just watched some replay of last night's road game and he does have a new mask.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Congrats to Flint area fans!!! Despite being 0-9-1 in their last 10 games and other problems this year, Flint had the 3rd highest attendance in 7 OHL games last night with 3,688 in their 3,960 seat arena. Way to go fans!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Congrats to Flint area fans!!! Despite being 0-9-1 in their last 10 games and other problems this year, Flint had the 3rd highest attendance in 7 OHL games last night with 3,688 in their 3,960 seat arena. Way to go fans!

The fans have been doing their part. It's a shame the owner is not doing as well at his job.

GFHL

Feb 25, 2015
FLINTown

The arena has been very busy, fans are into the game, a lot of Windsor fans Saturday. I think the centralness of the arena is great, an hour from two Canadian border crossings, just off the highway. Of course the large Hockey history that Flint has is playing a large role, we finally have quality hockey here and love it. If they get a better team on the ice, i think sell outs will be common, especially this time of year. Team still has some fight, had a chance to tie it late Saturday with puck sitting near the goal line but couldn't get it in. Only bad thing I saw is the merchandise shop is a little low on stock.

Thanks again Windsor for the water donations. :handclap:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The arena has been very busy, fans are into the game, a lot of Windsor fans Saturday. I think the centralness of the arena is great, an hour from two Canadian border crossings, just off the highway. Of course the large Hockey history that Flint has is playing a large role, we finally have quality hockey here and love it. If they get a better team on the ice, i think sell outs will be common, especially this time of year. Team still has some fight, had a chance to tie it late Saturday with puck sitting near the goal line but couldn't get it in. Only bad thing I saw is the merchandise shop is a little low on stock.

Thanks again Windsor for the water donations. :handclap:

Yup, yup, yup. Haven't been into the pro shop in a little while, just glance in when I walk by to see if there's anything new. I know they're a new franchise and just getting things up and running but it would be cool if they improve their selection in the future (if the team is still around). Owen Sound has a little better selection, Sarnia has has a ton of cool stuff packed in their pro shop and Windsor has stuff for sale at 2 pro shops and a couple booths. There was so much stuff I wanted to buy.....but didn't because it was Spitfires gear. More stuff made me go "ooooh" there than Flint has items. Plain hoodies are fine and all but I hope they step it up. Firebirds have battled and kept it close against some really good opponents lately. They really need to finish one and get a W, just to change the mood in that locker room. I'm surprised how much Gruden is still juggling lines at this point in the season. It changes game by game and period by period.

Bellof

Sep 18, 2015
Grand Blanc, MI

The numbers were always going to bump up after Friday/Saturday football was over. From the on-ice perspective - don't get the Captain Hook routine with the goaltending. Left the game on Comcast yesterday midway through the 2nd, so don't know whether Menna got hurt

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
In Flint's hockey history, attendance has not always increased after early season Fri/Sat games. However, Papista and the organization did the best job I can ever remember with fewer Friday Night games, more Saturday Night games and home games more spread out over the course of the year. The former Generals used to be heavy on early season Fri/Sun games. This OHL schedule is much more favorable.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The numbers were always going to bump up after Friday/Saturday football was over. From the on-ice perspective - don't get the Captain Hook routine with the goaltending. Left the game on Comcast yesterday midway through the 2nd, so don't know whether Menna got hurt

Nope. Just pulled. I was doing stuff around the house and just watching sporadically with updates from my kids but I believe he only allowed 1 on 16 shots in the 2nd. I don't quite get what Gruden's doing with the goaltenders. He traded for Menna. I'd like to see the kid get a little more of a chance. I just don't think Moran is gonna be the guy. He may still be here next year but I hope it's as a back up. The back to back 50 save performances are nice but in my opinion if a goalie throws in a miserable performance once every 4 games or makes a bunch of saves but lets in a soft one in crunch time, he's just not a good goalie and that was the MO on Moran and it's what I've seen. Kitchener just zipped 3 wristers by him yesterday. One might have been screened by Henderson a little but I'm unsure the kids have faith in him, I know I wouldn't. Then again, the team hasn't put in many full 60 minute efforts lately either.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
With the Top Prospects game Thursday in Vancouver I'm sure Bitten is gonna miss Friday's game against Sarnia. Saturday too? Sarnia will be without Chychrun and Kyrou. I'd assume the Firebirds will miss Bitten more than Sarnia will Chychrun and Kyrou. I'll have to check but the Sting might have some boys missing due to suspension after last weeks melee vs London and Zacha's game misconduct vs Peterborough the night before. Saginaw is sending Niemalainen and the Soo 3 forwards. Unfortunately Saginaw plays the Soo Friday and then the Soo has the day off Saturday. I think the Greyhounds have probably placed themselves out of Flint's reach anyway. Probably just chasing Saginaw now.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Alex Black and Kevin Spinozzi will both be suspended for this weekend's games against Flint. Not much, but I'll take any advantage Flint can get right now.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Excited for a home game this weekend! December and January have been kinda thin, and missed last week's home game because of an out-of-town hockey tournament for my son. Been 3 weeks since I've seen the boys play:handclap:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Excited for a home game this weekend! December and January have been kinda thin, and missed last week's home game because of an out-of-town hockey tournament for my son. Been 3 weeks since I've seen the boys play:handclap:

Looks like ticket sales are going very well for Saturday's game against Sarnia. Are they still asking people to bring cases of water?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Little bit of an uneventful night for Bitten last night. Had a couple hits and plays. Caught him being last back into the zone twice, then he glided all the way behind the goal line following the play, when the puck turned back up ice and he was last out of the zone on the rush. I wonder if he's starting to pick up some bad fundamental habits because of how Flint's playing. He looked decent though and got a little time on the PK. Sarnia will be missing Chychrun, Kyrou, Korostelev, Lajunesse, Black and Spinozzi tonight. Still gonna be a tall order though and would be really happy to see the boys get even 2 points this weekend. Hell, just one would be a nice change of pace.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
What a horrible performance by Firebird players! They should be ashamed and embarrassed!!!

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
They outshot Sarnia twice in a row at least. Sarnia is loaded and quite the team so..... As usual and for the 2nd game in a row, Moran just let them zip unscreened wristers over his shoulders. Enough. Let's see what Menna can do. I'm starting to question Gruden more and more. Everybody plays with everybody all the time. How are the boys supposed to develop any chemistry? Have you noticed the new breakout? It's ridiculous. Have a forward hide behind the opposing net while the puck is in their end and then try to sneak back onside while nobody notices. Oh, and make sure they do it on the bench side so they glide right in front of the opposing bench. I know some of it is on the players and it's easy to criticize when they're on a 15 game losing streak but there's just been so many basic fundamentals being missed.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Not sure what you expect from this shell of a team.....

At home before a near sellout crowd, I expect a more competitive game from our players! With Sarnia missing two very good defenseman, I expect to see more scoring chances in our own barn, better goaltending and less goof penalties. Yes, this isn't the team we had at the start, but no reason to not be more competitive against Sarnia. Sarnia is good, but not Erie or Kitchner good. Maybe my standards are not realistic, but I will continue to want to see a better effort even if we lose the rest of our games.

GFHL

Feb 25, 2015
FLINTown
At home before a near sellout crowd, I expect a more competitive game from our players! With Sarnia missing two very good defenseman, I expect to see more scoring chances in our own barn, better goaltending and less goof penalties. Yes, this isn't the team we had at the start, but no reason to not be more competitive against Sarnia. Sarnia is good, but not Erie or Kitchner good. Maybe my standards are not realistic, but I will continue to want to see a better effort even if we lose the rest of our games.

The Firebirds have looked flat all season when the play a road game the night before. Friday's game against Sudbury has to be a win, at home, rested, with a bad team playing a road back to back. Please win so Saturday can seem more interesting. If they lose to the wolves, we are in big trouble the rest of the way.

Bellof

Sep 18, 2015
Grand Blanc, MI
They outshot Sarnia twice in a row at least. Sarnia is loaded and quite the team so..... As usual and for the 2nd game in a row, Moran just let them zip unscreened wristers over his shoulders. Enough. Let's see what Menna can do. I'm starting to question Gruden more and more. Everybody plays with everybody all the time. How are the boys supposed to develop any chemistry? Have you noticed the new breakout? It's ridiculous. Have a forward hide behind the opposing net while the puck is in their end and then try to sneak back onside while nobody notices. Oh, and make sure they do it on the bench side so they glide right in front of the opposing bench. I know some of it is on the players and it's easy to criticize when they're on a 15 game losing streak but there's just been so many basic fundamentals being missed.
Agree on Menna; time to start seeing how 2016-'17 will look in net. Don't believe this group has mailed it in by any stretch, but my two cents here is Gruden's had a free pass since the opera back in November. Appears at least like the off-ice stuff has stabilized here of late; this team's performances need to likewise. Still a month and a half left to get this moving in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad