Confirmed with Link: Fletcher out as GM (contract not renewed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Tuch wasn't guaranteed a spot. As people mentioned, Haula probably wasn't going to be signing back to Minnesota. So, while yes losing Tuch hurts, it would have hurt more if we had lost a guy like Zucker AND Haula and kept a guy like Tuch. It didn't hurt Minnesota as badly as it could have.
If Vegas took Zucker, we could have bought out Pominville and kept Haula, who is makes less than half a mil what Zucker is made.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Not even saying we should have kept Haula per se, but he was an asset, and as such he could have been traded as well if we didnt re-sign him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Tuch wasn't guaranteed a spot. As people mentioned, Haula probably wasn't going to be signing back to Minnesota. So, while yes losing Tuch hurts, it would have hurt more if we had lost a guy like Zucker AND Haula and kept a guy like Tuch. It didn't hurt Minnesota as badly as it could have.

It wasn't really his choice.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

He definitely would've had the inside track though.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If Vegas took Zucker, we could have bought out Pominville and kept Haula, who is makes less than half a mil what Zucker is made.

But would Haula have scored as much as Zucker? I don't think he would have scored 29 goals on this squad. He would have had to see his minutes increase.

It wasn't really his choice.

Forgot he was a RFA, but it would have been difficult to sign him back along with Granlund and Zucker.

He definitely would've had the inside track though.

Maybe? And then be on the 3rd and 4th line as a grinder.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Nino.

A bit difficult, maybe, but not impossible.

We had to jettison Scandella and Pominville to sign back Granlund and el Nino. I would hate to see what we would have to trade to get Haula to sign.

3rd line doesn't have to "grind". Nino + Haula + Tuch would've been pretty nice 3rd line.

Possibly, but el Nino was out for a good portion of the year or limping along. And we generally take our rookies along way too slow in the NHL.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I was listening to Russo was on KFAN yesterday afternoon and he says that his gut is telling him Fitzgerald is going to be the new GM. He says it's very close, but he thinks Fitzgerald and Leipold have very similar personalities that mesh well and that Fitzgerald "blew their socks off" in his initial interview. Russo has also heard that Fitzgerald is very confident that he can make the necessary moves to make his plan for the team work.

I guess, if nothing else, I dig the tenacity. Can't say I'm going to really be disappointed whichever way they go with Fitzgerald or Fenton, though. No real strong feelings on either but at the same time I'm not nervous about either one taking the reins.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We had to jettison Scandella and Pominville to sign back Granlund and el Nino. I would hate to see what we would have to trade to get Haula to sign.

Different circumstances probably means a different trade happens.

Possibly, but el Nino was out for a good portion of the year or limping along. And we generally take our rookies along way too slow in the NHL.

Chaos Theory. Nino probably isn't in the exact spot where he got hurt if there is a different configuration of players.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Possible. As for Fitzgerald? Meh. As I asked before, what exactly is his track record? His player development in Pittsburgh isn't that great. And it's too early to say how good he is in New Jersey.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Possible. As for Fitzgerald? Meh. As I asked before, what exactly is his track record? His player development in Pittsburgh isn't that great. And it's too early to say how good he is in New Jersey.
It's a good question, but I dunno that the answer's readily available. From what's been reported, Fitzgerald earned a second interview with a strong pitch and powerful personality. There's something to be said for that in a GM, but it doesn't give us any sort of a track record.

Here's an article from when Shero hired him on as AGM in New Jersey. Some tidbits:

Steve Pellegrini, the Devils' vice-president of hockey operations who handles contract matters, will remain. Fitzgerald will assist Pellegrini on contracts, oversee prospects, periodically watch the farm team in Albany, be involved in decisions regarding the coaching staff, trades, free agency and college free agents. He'll be a sounding board for Shero.

"I truly believe I'm an information gatherer. That's my job," Fitzgerald said. "I get all the information I can get so Ray Shero can make choices. "Personnel, prospects, do we sign this guy? The value on a guy for a trade. I'm here to help him carry out his vision."

Fitzgerald will work out of his home in Massachusetts, driving to Albany, N.Y., and to Newark when Shero feels it is beneficial.

"My family is going to stay in Boston because of the age of my boys. My two older sons (Ryan and Casey) are at Boston College. I have a sophomore in high school and a 12-year-old in junior high," Fitzgerald said.

"My responsibilities are watching players, watching prospects in Albany, coming here and watching our team play. Keeping in touch with agents and helping Steve out."

So if that's how it's played out the last few years, Fitzgerald spent a fair amount of time doing reconnaissance for Shero. It's hard to say how much input he had in any of these, but that includes:

- trading for Hall
- trading for Vatanen
- signing Will Butcher
- trading for Grabner and Maroon
- trading for Eddie Lack and Mirco Mueller

- taking Hischier at #1
- drafting McCleod in the 1st
- drafting Joey Anderson in the 3rd
- drafting Bratt in the 6th

I'm not sure what his tenure with the Penguins looked like. The linked article also makes it sound like he's a devotee of Lamoriello.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Fitz sounds a bit like a rebound girlfriend after Leipold broke up with the bland Fletcher. Is he only interesting because he is different?

Tell me why personality matters when it comes to being a GM?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Fitz sounds a bit like a rebound girlfriend after Leipold broke up with the bland Fletcher. Is he only interesting because he is different?

How could it not matter? A GM is constantly trying to sell something to someone.

Reactions: FVM and Bazeek

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Well, if that personality means he has good relations with other GMs that would be a good thing.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Bland Fletcher seemed to sign those free agents and make trades just fine.

If you are telling me Fitz will bring in JT with his charm, than sure.

Otherwise just seems like a sales job where he walked in and told Leipold what he wanted to hear. Then again, its not like Leipold hasnt hired plenty of people over his career.

Last edited:

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver

Otherwise just seems like a sales job where he walked in and told Leipold what he wanted to hear. Then again, its not like Leipold hasnt hired plenty of people over his career.
Are you hoping for Fenton?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Are you hoping for Fenton?
Not really. Kind of blah on this whole GM swap thing. Not really anti-Fitz or anything. Just Russo's reports are kind of funny because it sounds like Leipold wants somebody who says that the Wild are a couple of good moves away from being a contender. Maybe. I mean Vegas is probably going to the Cup.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

What exactly did you think a job interview was?

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I think the owner is the biggest problem here. Coach is good. GM was meh, but had his moments. Owner is a meddling fool, who doesn't understand the notion of sustainable success.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think the owner is the biggest problem here. Coach is good. GM was meh, but had his moments. Owner is a meddling fool, who doesn't understand the notion of sustainable success.
What did the owner "meddle" with? Leipold is the best owner in Minnesota and it isn't even debatable.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What did the owner "meddle" with? Leipold is the best owner in Minnesota and it isn't even debatable.

The WNBA and MLS owner don't seem too shabby (not that I give 2 cents for any MN team besides the Wild)...

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
That's a relative statement. And the bar for ownership in Minnesota sports is pretty low to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad