Confirmed with Link: Fletcher out as GM (contract not renewed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Maybe it was the Edmonton stink, but Hall wasn't exactly "league MVP Taylor Hall" at the time of the trade either.
He wasn't and I won't pretend that I wasn't skeptical of him myself. But man I'd like to see us do a better job of identifying and acquiring guys that are underperforming and poised to do better on a new team/situation.

Edit: On that note, full props to Fletcher and company for Spurgeon, Nino and Staal.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
"What if" game is pointless in general. But here its kind of interesting because it sheds light on the last year or two of Fletcher. Up until that point, I think he had done a really good job with the constraints he had.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
How soon would they name Fenton new GM ?

Monday the latest ?
They had a second round of meetings scheduled with some of the "finalists," which I think were happening this week. Possibly into this weekend? I can't imagine they'd wait long after those are finished to come to a decision.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Any bets on first trade made by Fenton? --- Coyle and 3rd rounder for Craig Smith?
At least I'll have something to talk about the next time I go to the dentist. His aunt's my hygienist.

I do have a completely unfounded sense of foreboding about hiring Fenton though.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
Per russo's kfan interview yesterday there are at least three moving on to the second round. Fenton, Fitz and ?

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
I'd guess Flahr or Zito, but I don't think anyone really knows.
Could also be Guerin, from Russo's article the other day he made it sound like they originally blocked him from interview but then were going to let him. Maybe he just is unsure if it is happening at this point but sounded like the Wild were interested. Listening to him on KFAN last night Russo just didn't want to commit because of the Yzerman/Fletcher deal.. which I didn't fully realize even happened

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Could also be Guerin, from Russo's article the other day he made it sound like they originally blocked him from interview but then were going to let him. Maybe he just is unsure if it is happening at this point but sounded like the Wild were interested. Listening to him on KFAN last night Russo just didn't want to commit because of the Yzerman/Fletcher deal.. which I didn't fully realize even happened
Forgot about Guerin; no reason he couldn't be in the mix, too. Or someone that Russo hasn't sniffed out yet.

It does sound like we'll be waiting for another week though.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
What did I miss between Yzerman / Fletcher ?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What did I miss between Yzerman / Fletcher ?
Not between Yzerman and Fletcher, but involving Yzerman and Fletcher. Leipold initially offered the GM position to Yzerman, who declined because he was concerned about his commitment to Team Canada; as a new GM he didn't think splitting duties was a good idea. So Leipold moved on to Fletcher, Yzerman ended up in Tampa, and the rest is history.

If anything, it makes me think that Leipold actually has an okay eye for this sort of hire. Yzerman has done very well and I still think Fletcher did well here, all things considered.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Not between Yzerman and Fletcher, but involving Yzerman and Fletcher. Leipold initially offered the GM position to Yzerman, who declined because he was concerned about his commitment to Team Canada; as a new GM he didn't think splitting duties was a good idea. So Leipold moved on to Fletcher, Yzerman ended up in Tampa, and the rest is history.

If anything, it makes me think that Leipold actually has an okay eye for this sort of hire. Yzerman has done very well and I still think Fletcher did well here, all things considered.

Oh wow how did I not know this? What could have been... Yzerman has been an awesome GM for the Lightning.

Those former Red Wings from the Yzerman years seem to be doing well in there front office jobs. Lets give Nik Lidstrom and Sergei Fedorov an interview.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Oh wow how did I not know this? What could have been... Yzerman has been an awesome GM for the Lightning.

Those former Red Wings from the Yzerman years seem to be doing well in there front office jobs. Lets give Nik Lidstrom and Sergei Fedorov an interview.
I think if anything it lends some credence to the idea of hiring former players as executives. So keep an open mind toward Tom Fitzgerald and Bill Guerin.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Being part of three Stanley Cups in Pittsburgh and now a resurgent Devils team kind of seems like a positive to me.
Depends on what part he played. If he was heavily involved in Pitsburgh's drafting during his time there, I wouldn't want him doing that for my team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad