Confirmed with Link: Fletcher out as GM (contract not renewed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What did the owner "meddle" with? Leipold is the best owner in Minnesota and it isn't even debatable.
It seems pretty likely that Leipold took the initiative with the Parise and Suter signings, whatever one might think of how those looked at the time or how they look now and in the future. There is some speculation that those contracts give their awardees some degree of influence over Leipold himself. I won't claim to know how much weight to give that speculation, but following the money is rarely a mistake.

I could not care less how Leipold compares to owners of other teams, in Minnesota or anywhere else. Professional sports in general are barely interesting as it is. I don't blame team owners for taking whatever role they do in the teams that they own, but there are absolutely better things to invest one's time, money and attention on.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Eh that's all it is at this point. Speculation. I think Leopold is just impatient like a kid told to wait for his birthday, but bargains for his gifts now.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I think the owner is the biggest problem here. Coach is good. GM was meh, but had his moments. Owner is a meddling fool, who doesn't understand the notion of sustainable success.
It’s his team that he owns so he can do whatever he wants with it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It seems pretty likely that Leipold took the initiative with the Parise and Suter signings, whatever one might think of how those looked at the time or how they look now and in the future. There is some speculation that those contracts give their awardees some degree of influence over Leipold himself. I won't claim to know how much weight to give that speculation, but following the money is rarely a mistake.

I could not care less how Leipold compares to owners of other teams, in Minnesota or anywhere else. Professional sports in general are barely interesting as it is. I don't blame team owners for taking whatever role they do in the teams that they own, but there are absolutely better things to invest one's time, money and attention on.
If anybody had to tell Fletcher to sign Suter/Parise if given the chance, he probably shouldn't have been the GM in the first place.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If anybody had to tell Fletcher to sign Suter/Parise if given the chance, he probably shouldn't have been the GM in the first place.

I'd guess any GM would have to clear it through their owner before spending $196m of their money.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't think it really even matters who the GM will be at this point. I don't see any of these guys being the next Stevie Y or Chairelli. They'll probably fall into the same-ish ranking as GMCF did, so more of the same.

If the owner wants to be in the Playoffs every year, then he'll fall into the same trap Vancouver has had Benning in the last few seasons: trading away assets to try and please the owner. After all this is the owner's toy-box and his toys, and the GM's just get to play with them until they are told to go home.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
"Professional sports in general are barely interesting as it is."

-posts regularly on a professional sports forum
In my defense, I'd had a few drinks when I posted that :laugh: If that counts as a defense. Pro sports outside of hockey do bore the bejeezus out of me, but I get that I'm in the minority around here on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad