GDT: Flames vs Rangers, 7:00 PM, MST. Sportsnet West, Fan 960

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Shots 51-27 for Calgary but why did it seem like a game we were outplayed? These useless shots from the ends of the blueline contribute to absolutely jack ****. I'd rather take 27 shots and 5 goal-posts over 51+ shot attempts consisting mostly of nothing.

We actually had far more scoring chances than they did 5on5 alone, overall it's heavily in our favour.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
We actually had far more scoring chances than they did 5on5 alone, overall it's heavily in our favour.
How many were high quality scoring chances? Other than Backlund's clear cut chance, I can only count a few. Rangers on the other hand, plenty.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Shots 51-27 for Calgary but why did it seem like a game we were outplayed? These useless shots from the ends of the blueline contribute to absolutely jack ****. I'd rather take 27 shots and 5 goal-posts over 51+ shot attempts consisting mostly of nothing.

The way they played in the second period they deserved to be down by a few. They gave up odd-man rush after odd-man rush because they got frustrated and got away from their system. But the way they played in the first and third they deserved far better, and the difference was goaltending.

When you're playing a guy like Lundqvist with a guy like Gillies in your net, you can't take the chance and spot the other team a period like that second period, because there's a decent chance that a HOF goalie will play like a HOF goalie.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
How many were high quality scoring chances? Other than Backlund's clear cut chance, I can only count a few. Rangers on the other hand, plenty.

Plenty of great saves in this game by Lundqvist. Especially in the first period, which seems to be forever ago. But the PP was generating a lot of good shooting opportunities on basically every PP.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
“Maybe if we had more right handed shots we’d score more” - GG probably

Holy smokes, Chris Stewart played for 2 periods on the top line and you are still posting this crap?

The first 50 times you made this post, even though it is so incredibly wrong, wasn't enough?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think we can afford to keep Bennett on the top line any further. It clearly doesn't work. It never worked. He is much more effective on the third line, and that's where it should be. Anyone else on that line would probably make the Flames a better team at this point, be it Stewart, Shore, Lazar, Brouwer.... anyone.

Reactions: Baxterman

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

It's not exactly fair to put all the blame on the goalies considering they're rookies and inexperienced but man Mike Smith covered so many flaws, this injury could not have worse timing.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He covered flaws. But Gillies and Rittich are just flat out losing games right now. I’d give Parsons a look at this point if he wasn’t still broken

It's really not down to goaltending. Once again, the offence has dried up. The second line has contributed 3 goals over the last three games. No other line has contributed a single goal.

The first line is flat-out dysfunctional with Bennett, and no team can seriously compete without the top line being a threat.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He covered flaws. But Gillies and Rittich are just flat out losing games right now. I’d give Parsons a look at this point if he wasn’t still broken

Which games are they losing?

Tonight was a lack of scoring, Dallas was a lack of scoring, Colorado lack of scoring/dumb penalties, Boston lack of scoring.

I don't remember the Florida game well enough to say what the issue was or the Vegas game that I somehow completely forgot we even played until I looked it up.

It seems since Smith went down our main issue is that we can't score, just like it was when he was in net.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Which games are they losing?

Tonight was a lack of scoring, Dallas was a lack of scoring, Colorado lack of scoring/dumb penalties, Boston lack of scoring.

I don't remember the Florida game well enough to say what the issue was or the Vegas game that I somehow completely forgot we even played until I looked it up.

It seems since Smith went down our main issue is that we can't score, just like it was when he was in net.

Rittich lost the Vegas game IMO. The Flames scored enough goals to win in that one, but Rittich let in several weak goals.

But yeah, for the most part that hasn't been the story. Whether they're just unlucky with running into hot goalies, or they're making them look good, they just can't give their goalies any run support.

Reactions: Janks

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Didn't see the game, but 51 shots on goal?

That sounds like some good corsi.

Aww yeah, we corsied the f*** out of them tonight. Shot attempts were even more lopsided, I think. Lundqvist was spectacular in the first and Gillies let in a softy, otherwise we would've been comfortably leading. But in the second period, we basically lost all semblance of a system and allowed several odd-man rushes and breakaways and point-blank chances. Posts kept us in it, but Lundqvist kept us out of it.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad