GDT: Flames vs. le Club de hockey Canadien, October 23, 5:30 PM MT, SNET-Flames

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
To me, this team has a severe case of not taking their opponents seriously if they're "supposed to be bad." We saw it with Vancouver, NY, and now Montreal. At least they raise their game with other teams but this trend is concerning. Rittich didn't deserve this
I meant to say this to some of our posters earlier, but I'm not sure what reason anyone would have at this point to think Montreal is a bad team. They are top of their division and have lost once in regulation this season. You are what your record says you are.

There have been several very obvious examples lately to show that paper roster means nothing in the NHL.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I meant to say this to some of our posters earlier, but I'm not sure what reason anyone would have at this point to think Montreal is a bad team. They are top of their division and have lost once in regulation this season. You are what your record says you are.

There have been several very obvious examples lately to show that paper roster means nothing in the NHL.

Not this early in the season. There is no doubt the team took Montreal lightly and didnt show up to play.

I cant see another reason, except maybe this team truly sucks.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not this early in the season. There is no doubt the team took Montreal lightly and didnt show up to play.

I cant see another reason, except maybe this team sucks.
Yay, let's repeat the same errors people routinely make with teams like Calgary in 2014-15, Vegas last year, etc.

I'd agree with you that the team wasn't ready for such a tough opponent tonight, though.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
To me, this team has a severe case of not taking their opponents seriously if they're "supposed to be bad." We saw it with Vancouver, NY, and now Montreal. At least they raise their game with other teams but this trend is concerning. Rittich didn't deserve this

This is our biggest issue. Against contenders we look like contenders. Against pretenders we look like pretenders.

The result is mediocrity for a very talented group of players.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Yay, let's repeat the same errors people routinely make with teams like Calgary in 2014-15, Vegas last year, etc.

I'd agree with you that the team wasn't ready for such a tough opponent tonight, though.
I have to disagree with you. This team was throughoutly outplayed in the first, pulled a goal out of thin air and stopped skating or even trying. If they were dialed in, this wouldn't have happened.

This team recognizes when they have to put a shift in against good teams. They dominated the Avs, Bruins, and Predators and couldn't be bothered to try against the others

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have to disagree with you. This team was throughoutly outplayed in the first, pulled a goal out of thin air and stopped skating or even trying. If they were dialed in, this wouldn't have happened.

This team recognizes when they have to put a shift in against good teams. They dominated the Avs, Bruins, and Predators and couldn't be bothered to try against the others
I don't think you disagree with me? I, too, think they weren't ready to play. I just don't think there is any reason for anyone to be taking the Habs lightly right now.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This was a rough game, got let it go. Some things needs to addressed:

-This team is missing that toughness, Montreal took cheap shots and played rough and the refs missed some of it, this is playoff hockey, if you cannot handle this, than you are going to have a rough time.

-Thee PP needs to be better, this is not going to work with a bad PP.

-Monahan is not some one you win a Stanley Cup as your #1 centre, we should see what we can get for him, package Monahan, Brodie and something else, you may be able to get a Kings ransom if someone bites.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Didn't see the game in NY although stats-wise it looks pretty similar to this one. Can anyone confirm for me that the team was playing this poorly against the Rags? If that's the case, we might have a bigger problem on our hands than we want to admit.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Didn't see the game in NY although stats-wise it looks pretty similar to this one. Can anyone confirm for me that the team was playing this poorly against the Rags? If that's the case, we might have a bigger problem on our hands than we want to admit.

It was worse this game than against the Rangers, in my opinion. The Flames didn't have nearly the same extended period of ineptitude against the Rangers, it was just that they had two chances for every one we generated. Also against the Rangers, we got out to a lead and coasted a bit. In this game, we were heading towards a similar story, but when we were up just 1-0, we lost all control of the game in the middle period. It wasn't just time between chances. We weren't getting into their offensive zone at all. Part of that was a run of penalties called against us with no Montreal penalties being called. but a string of penalties seemed fitting with the flow of play tilted firmly against us. The third period was much better, but Montreal probably were playing a more defensive style.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
-Monahan is not some one you win a Stanley Cup as your #1 centre, we should see what we can get for him, package Monahan, Brodie and something else, you may be able to get a Kings ransom if someone bites.
:laugh::help:

This fan base is hilarious some days. Might as well burn it down and start from scratch again. Trade everyone, fire management, relocate the team.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
:laugh::help:

This fan base is hilarious some days. Might as well burn it down and start from scratch again. Trade everyone, fire management, relocate the team.

I was being serious here, I think management should at least see what there is out there for Monahan, if you package him and it brings in a very good young goaltender and a very good young center, than you have to consider that. He is pretty one dimensional, if some notes with a huge overpayment than you do it.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Gaudreau has been getting dummied this year so far. Almost every game he has taken a nasty looking shot and twice I believe been taken to the room for concussion protocol already. Those little nicks are gonna add up if he keeps going like this.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I was being serious here, I think management should at least see what there is out there for Monahan, if you package him and it brings in a very good young goaltender and a very good young center, than you have to consider that. He is pretty one dimensional, if some notes with a huge overpayment than you do it.

Isn’t that what Monahan already is?? Heaven help this fan base be patient.

Monahan could go pointless the rest of this season and not make me mad, he’s a playoff beast.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Gaudreau has been getting dummied this year so far. Almost every game he has taken a nasty looking shot and twice I believe been taken to the room for concussion protocol already. Those little nicks are gonna add up if he keeps going like this.

I think that this team is lacking toughness, missing out on Ryan Reaves was not a good thing, he is someone the team could rally around, he is tough as nails(so if someone takes liberties against our top players, he would respond) and could chip in with a goal here and there. We have Peluso and Prout but I don't think they are very effective at this role.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Isn’t that what Monahan already is?? Heaven help this fan base be patient.

Monahan could go pointless the rest of this season and not make me mad, he’s a playoff beast.

If Sean Monahan is not scoring goals, than he is not doing much else, which can be frustrating .

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think that this team is lacking toughness, missing out on Ryan Reaves was not a good thing, he is someone the team could rally around, he is tough as nails(so if someone takes liberties against our top players, he would respond) and could chip in with a goal here and there. We have Peluso and Prout but I don't think they are very effective at this role.

Maybe we can trade Neal for Ferland and Hathaway for Reaves.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
W L W L. Should I be concerned?
One of the things I was thinking about today was that Peters only changes the lineup after a loss. So we get a new guy in the lineup, we get that shot of energy from the guy trying to prove himself, we win, then we keep the lineup the same and come out flat the next game. Rinse and repeat.

If we're going to use lineup rotation as a motivational tactic, we should use it for every game. Just because we won, doesn't mean everyone played well.

That said, we shouldn't need to scratch guys in order to get two good games in a row.

Reactions: Janks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad