GDT: Flames vs Canes 2 PM ????

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Aho's assist tied his single-season career high at 36 and extended his point streak to five games. Aho needs five more points to tie his career high 65 pts (and five more goals).
And none of that means a damned thing if this team fails to make the playoffs for 10 seasons in row. Individual accolades are worthless, if your team sucks.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
And none of that means a damned thing if this team fails to make the playoffs for 10 seasons in row. Individual accolades are worthless, if your team sucks.

It means that he got his $850k in bonus money secured now.

A couple of years back Eichel finished game 82 as #10 in leaguewide forwards in P/GP, putting him in for his $2M of Schedule B bonus money, but the next day in Draisaitl in his final game passed Eichel in P/GP for #10, dropping Eichel outside of the top 10 and leaving him right out of those $2M.

BUF coach and GM got fired very soon afterwards.

It's probably good that Aho got his mony.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Good for Aho. I'm happy for him.

Now ice a good team and win some f***ing games.

Did you notice some really nice setup passes from Svechnikov that were completely whiffed by the M&Ms yesterday? Yep. How about 75% of the Canes shot attempts never getting past the first defender, much less on net? Aho won't win enough games on his own. That's all in saying. They lost. Again. Good for Aho. I'm sure he'd trade every point for another win.

The day a player starts to care more about bonuses and contracts than winning, is the day he can go somewhere else. They'll all get paid.

Reactions: Identity404

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Didn't watch this one. The result is about what I expected. Mrazek's Sv% is not good. He's .866 in his past 5, and still somehow much better than Darling. I don't know if that's a testiment to just how bad Darling is/was, or if we're sugar coating Mrazek a little. Maybe both.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Didn't watch this one. The result is about what I expected. Mrazek's Sv% is not good. He's .866 in his past 5, and still somehow much better than Darling. I don't know if that's a testiment to just how bad Darling is/was, or if we're sugar coating Mrazek a little. Maybe both.

Sugar coating Mrazek a little, but the Flames could’ve scored 10 yesterday. He was brilliant and the only reason the game was close. His season success as a whole has been a little overblown though.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Sugar coating Mrazek a little, but the Flames could’ve scored 10 yesterday. He was brilliant and the only reason the game was close. His season success as a whole has been a little overblown though.

Mrazek definitely has that Cam Ward feel. Definitely a different vibe when Mac is in net.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
Lazy analysis. The "never cared" stuff is just a convenient way to excuse management for never being able to build around the good players we had.

So he was supposed to be top 20 in scoring like he is this year while being surrounded by garbage? Did he ever get to play with any players with offensive talent for a prolonged period? No? Okay then.

So when can we ease up with this narrative as well? Looking at the stats now--Aho, Lindholm, Teravainen and Skinner are all top 60 in scoring. Slavin, Hanifin and Faulk are all top 60 in scoring for defensemen. It may not be top talent all the time and there have been issues with goal tending, (which didn't prevent Lindholm from scoring)--but there has been talent. And who was the coach not playing Lindholm or Skinner with the scoring talent the Canes did have--Bill Peters.... I'm not saying the Canes were Stanley Cup material during his time but it is pure revisionist history to think this team couldn't have made the playoffs during the past few years. Just look at what Trotz has done with the Islanders this year...that is the one free agent the Canes should have opened the bank for...

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
So when can we ease up with this narrative as well? Looking at the stats now--Aho, Lindholm, Teravainen and Skinner are all top 60 in scoring. Slavin, Hanifin and Faulk are all top 60 in scoring for defensemen. It may not be top talent all the time and there have been issues with goal tending, (which didn't prevent Lindholm from scoring)--but there has been talent. And who was the coach not playing Lindholm or Skinner with the scoring talent the Canes did have--Bill Peters.... I'm not saying the Canes were Stanley Cup material during his time but it is pure revisionist history to think this team couldn't have made the playoffs during the past few years. Just look at what Trotz has done with the Islanders this year...that is the one free agent the Canes should have opened the bank for...
It's not an opinion that he didn't play with much offensive talent. It's a fact. Not really interested in debating why it was that way. I just know that it was.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

**** off, hanifin

**** off in general? Or did something he say in the interview piss you off?

I thought he handled himself well and was nothing but respectful in the interview. Also laughed off the boos, like pretty much any pro athlete would.

As far as Lindholm mocking the Viking clap? I'm fine with it. I'd be talking out of both sides of my mouth defending the Canes celebration as harmless fun and then getting upset about another player mocking it. Maybe it will give the Canes a little more incentive the next time the teams meet, or even the next home game if they don't want to be mocked.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Speaking of Mac... Where the hell is he? His last game was Dec. 31st.

It was actually 1/15 against the Rangers. He reaggravated his knee issue before the All-Star Break which is why Ned got the call up and the start against Vancouver. He was back on the bench for the games against Vegas and Calgary so I assume he can go again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad