GDT: Flames @ Stars 6:30PM SN-West "Ploff Gmae"

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No offense but the other option of giving them a pp isn't any better. We had to focus on winning the game, given that we did it's hard to knock the decision imo.
I don't think there was a decision since the Flames are soft. A fight after a hit like that wouldn't be the end of the world.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It was also our third game four nights. With travel/timezone change.

I think many of us are forgetting that.

Getting 2/3 wins in 3 of 4 nights is great in my books. The road trip looks decent thus far.

Now we have 2 days to get ready for St. Louis.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I think many of us are forgetting that.

Getting 2/3 wins in 3 of 4 nights is great in my books. The road trip looks decent thus far.

Now we have 2 days to get ready for St. Louis.

The biggest break we have for the rest of the season. I hope the boys come out fresh and ready to get at least one point against the Blues.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It was definitely good that we didn't take a penalty after the Ritchie incident, however I would of liked to see a little more backbone from our guys after the hit. A few guys skated in after for show IMO, but Ritchie basically cheap shot our #1C in the head with no repercussions whatsoever and I do have an issue with that.

I've said this before, but I wish our team had a little more teeth. Next time Ritchie plays us he's going to have the attitude that he can do that again and no one will come after him. I want this team to have the attitude that you can't go after our top players otherwise you're going to have to answer the bell. This could be the difference in Monahan or Gaudreau getting seriously injured, which could have happened last night.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It was definitely good that we didn't take a penalty after the Ritchie incident, however I would of liked to see a little more backbone from our guys after the hit. A few guys skated in after for show IMO, but Ritchie basically cheap shot our #1C in the head with no repercussions whatsoever and I do have an issue with that.

I've said this before, but I wish our team had a little more teeth. Next time Ritchie plays us he's going to have the attitude that he can do that again and no one will come after him. I want this team to have the attitude that you can't go after our top players otherwise you're going to have to answer the bell. This could be the difference in Monahan or Gaudreau getting seriously injured, which could have happened last night.
yeah, we basically have enough teeth to gum someone to death

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

But when Monahan's linemates are Hudler and Gaudreau, you have to hope that you've got a tough Dman playing with him when he's on. I don't mind the toughness we have in Jones, Bouma, Ferland, Bollig, no they're no McGrattan, but if Hartley wanted, I'm sure one of them could have been waiting for him to exit the box to say or do something to let him know what he did was bush league.

We've been the most disciplined team in the league all year, I'm not really surprised by the reaction to the play, especially since Monahan got up from it right away (and it barely knocked him over to begin with).

Not saying the butt end wasn't brutal, cause it was, I'm surprised the league isn't looking at it closer. But it was kinda away from the play and if nobody really saw what exactly happened, it wouldn't have looked too bad with Monahan popping right back up, at least nothing worth scrapping over.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'll never forget in Hartley's first season, he publicly called out the team for a similar incident. I don't remember the exact game, but someone from an opposing team took a shot at one of our players and there was basically no response from our team. He basically said to the media that was unacceptable and that we need to have each backs out there. The dynamic of the team changed after that, you saw Bouma step up his game, you saw a guy like Paul Byron playing truculent, people knew that they better bring it or they would probably be moved off the team. We also got McGrattan shortly after that.

If Gio was in our lineup, I think that there may of been some type of response. I know we have a pretty skilled group, and I don't expect Gaudreau or Hudler to drop them, but there is something to be said for everyone jumping to their teammates side and being "ready to die for them". Even Ritchie would of pummeled whoever challenged him, you know that next he's going to think twice about doing a questionable act next time they play the Flames. He got off completely free for what happened last night and if it happens again next time we play, everyone will know why.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
^ I would also add that he pretty much slewfooted Wideman as well. He was getting away with pretty much everything.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
^ I would also add that he pretty much slewfooted Wideman as well. He was getting away with pretty much everything.

Yup, like trust me I get that it's stupid to take dumb penalties and hey it's great that we got the last laugh, but you have to stick up for your teammates. How many teams are scared to go play in Edmonton? How many teams like to go into LA, Chicago or STL, not many. My last comment is that there should of been some kind of retribution, there was none. And again for all the Bollig and Engelland critics, last night is a perfect example of why you need some beef in the lineup.

I really hope that we add some muscle in the offseason, either that or we see Ferland and Wolf become regulars next year. Both those guys are tough and can play.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yup, like trust me I get that it's stupid to take dumb penalties and hey it's great that we got the last laugh, but you have to stick up for your teammates. How many teams are scared to go play in Edmonton? How many teams like to go into LA, Chicago or STL, not many. My last comment is that there should of been some kind of retribution, there was none. And again for all the Bollig and Engelland critics, last night is a perfect example of why you need some beef in the lineup.

I really hope that we add some muscle in the offseason, either that or we see Ferland and Wolf become regulars next year. Both those guys are tough and can play.

Bollig has been doing a tremendous job this year sticking up for Teammates. The problem when we don't dress much toughness, is exactly this. I know we're far removed from having 2 goons in the lineup every night... But you definitely need some tough customers who can play the game; that or have a big team that no one wants to play against. Yes, St. Louis has Reaves; but St. Louis is also a big, physical team. Calgary's pretty soft on 1/2 of its lines; something that definitely has to change (and I think will) next season as we continue to progress towards being an annual playoff team.

Teams are more than happy to kill off a penalty for someone who sticks up for a teammate... There's no doubt about that. Ritchie wants to hit our star center dirty? Good; because I expect if someone's on the ice, they jump on him and make his life hard... then an even tougher customer (Bollig, Wolfie, etc) is waiting for him when he steps outside the box.

A guy like Chris Stewart would fit like a Glove in Calgary this off-season.
Put him on a line with Bennett... you have all kinds of physicality off your second line now.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If the Flames weren't in a furious playoff race, I think there would have been an on ice response.

It's been my opinion that Hartley neutered the truculence to a point this season because of where the team was in the standings. When you're a bottom five team, everyone having each others back is a huge part of forming a team identity. When you're fighting for your playoff lives, it can cost you valuable points.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Honestly, I bet management is going to strongly consider signing Chris Stewart to a contract. He's big, fights, and can put up 40pts... I think he's only 27?

I personally don't want him on the team, but I wouldn't be shocked to hear us in the running come July 1st.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Honestly, I bet management is going to strongly consider signing Chris Stewart to a contract. He's big, fights, and can put up 40pts... I think he's only 27?

I personally don't want him on the team, but I wouldn't be shocked to hear us in the running come July 1st.

Wouldn't mind more toughness though. The team looked sort of vulnerable in that department after that cheap shot on Monahan. Teams are wising up to how dangerous we are and the goonery will come because of that, so we could use another fighter/big hitter who can actually skate.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa

I'm going to be the first guy to say this - no way.

The last guys in that "high-scoring winger" mold that we've gotten have been Jones, Raymond, Bourque and Glencross. Glencross was an icon in Calgary for the years that he was here. The others? One kept getting suspended, and the other two never score.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

The last guys in that "high-scoring winger" mold that we've gotten have been Jones, Raymond, Bourque and Glencross. Glencross was an icon in Calgary for the years that he was here. The others? One kept getting suspended, and the other two never score.

Many of us on this board have expressed that we want nothing to do with Stewart previously.

Aug 21, 2014
I wouldn't mind looking at trading some of those 2nds for young NHL players from cap strapped teams. But I am really not liking this years FA crop. Let some other team over pay.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't expect the Flames to make much noise in this years' UFA. Maybe some young UFA signings for Stockton, but nothing for the Flames.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Bourque and Glencross were not exactly considered "high-scoring wingers" when they were traded / signed here. In fact they were nowhere near that, unless your definition of "high scoring" is a pre-Flames career high of 34 points (Bourque) and 25 points (Glencross)

Raymond is third line filler, and is producing about the same level of his season with the Canucks a couple years ago. Same with Jones, although Jones adds size, something this team's severely lacking.

If we can have the Chris Stewart who gives a rip (the one currently with Minnesota - 9 points in 14 games) I'd take him. I think he could be a key addition to form a solid 2nd line next season, alongside Bennett.

I wouldn't mind looking at trading some of those 2nds for young NHL players from cap strapped teams. But I am really not liking this years FA crop. Let some other team over pay.
This may be the better option, if the value is there.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Bourque and Glencross were not exactly considered "high-scoring wingers" when they were traded / signed here. In fact they were nowhere near that, unless your definition of "high scoring" is a pre-Flames career high of 34 points (Bourque) and 25 points (Glencross)

Raymond is third line filler, and is producing about the same level of his season with the Canucks a couple years ago. Same with Jones, although Jones adds size, something this team's severely lacking.

If we can have the Chris Stewart who gives a rip (the one currently with Minnesota - 9 points in 14 games) I'd take him. I think he could be a key addition to form a solid 2nd line next season, alongside Bennett.

This may be the better option, if the value is there.
Or even replacing Hudler on the first line so he's on with Johnny and Monahan. I feel Bennett can take care of himself and Hudler would probably produce just as well on his line.

Though that's too risky for me to break up Hudler and the kids, unless Stewart REALLY gells with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad