Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Yasin Ehliz and Marcus Hogstrom

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Ehliz simply wasn't good enough for this league, or really the AHL.
Shame, thought he'd be a good hand.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Gotta take a flyer on older guys from Europe sometimes. Most of the time it doesn't work out, but you get a Rittich every now and then

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Gotta take a flyer on older guys from Europe sometimes. Most of the time it doesn't work out, but you get a Rittich every now and then

Can we get like a Yanni Gourde or Tyler Johnson instead please?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Flames place Yasin Ehliz on unconditional waivers

Ehliz was one of the offseason’s depth signings, brought in after a strong Olympic peformance and (likely) familiarity with new Flames associate coach Geoff Ward, who has coached Team Germany in the past. He wasn’t expected to be much at the NHL level, but the thought was that he could provide some pro experience on a relatively fresh-faced AHL roster that featured plenty of turnover.

However, that low bar couldn’t even be cleared. Ehliz was a sparingly used fourth liner who only played four games out of a potential ten. He took a few shots on goal and that was pretty much it. Ehliz has likely received an offer to go back to Germany (or any other spot in Europe) so that’s likely why this move was made.

Wish You Were Here

Mar 14, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I'ts disappointing that Ehliz was not able to carve out a spot on Stockton's roster.
With Dube, Valamaki, and Andersson graduating, the Heat have a very shallow roster this season, especially on defense.

ebergeist

Apr 29, 2018
Finnland
To be honest, I thought Ehliz would do much better. He has potential but from what I have read and heard, he didn‘t look like himself in north america.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Ehliz going back to Germany confirmed, just signed with Munich

Source: EHC Red Bull München

Ehliz in an interview with German paper "Welt" today:

"If I hardly play or not at all, then I assume there is something wrong or the coach doesn't like something and that he tells me what it is, like it is custom here [in Germany], but that doesn't happen. (...) No-one of the Flames organization told me what they expected from me or what I didn't do well. No-one exchanged a single word with me. (...) There is no communication. Human warmth doesn't exist. You're just a random and exchangeable number."​

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To me this sounds like a case where the GM signed a guy and staff down in Stockton didn't really have a use for him. As such, they somewhat pushed him out.

Our guys that are more prominent in the organization, gets lots of attention from the coaches and trainers.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
A lot of these euro FAs that came over in the summer have been released and headed back home.

There were two more today, Dennis Everberg with WPG and Michael Lindqvist with NYR. Someone on the main baord mentioned that's like 7 or 8 of them from just this past summer.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I would be on Ehliz's side, but I hear that he was supposed to re-sign with his old club, but spurned them and signed with a different club in Germany. That's a dick move and deserves a "Bye fEhliz~cia" if true.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be cold toward Yasin Ehliz, but I feel like he's not being honorable. Plenty of other Euros come over and work hard and it just didn't work out. There's so much of Ehliz's story that sounds like he was expecting to be handed an NHL spot and when he didn't he pouted/made up a story to get signed in a higher league in Germany.

Can anyone confirm this?

The poorly translated site says he returns to DEL Red Bull Munich, but supposedly had a verbal agreement that if it didn't work out in North America, he was supposed to go back to the Thomas Sabo Ice Tigers?

Last edited:

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Ehliz in an interview with German paper "Welt" today:

"If I hardly play or not at all, then I assume there is something wrong or the coach doesn't like something and that he tells me what it is, like it is custom here [in Germany], but that doesn't happen. (...) No-one of the Flames organization told me what they expected from me or what I didn't do well. No-one exchanged a single word with me. (...) There is no communication. Human warmth doesn't exist. You're just a random and exchangeable number."​
There was an interview with a European ex-Oiler the other day where he said pretty much the same things. Life as a minor leaguer/tweener in NA is a lot different from being a regular in Europe, and if you're not Panarin-level it's probably not worth it for them most of the time.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I honestly don’t think he really cares. He took a small risk on a free asset, he’s not going to lose any sleep over it. But it’s clear Stockton didn’t give him any sort of chance to succeed.
In terms of being the head guy, Treliving has to enforce being a top notch organization. If he brought the young man over that young man and the organization have every right to expect that he is treated respectfully and honestly. If that didn't happen in Stockton, Treliving needs to have a little chat with Pascall and the coaching staff. The Flames brand name has to be protected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad