Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Yasin Ehliz and Marcus Hogstrom

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
That's a much better comparison.
If he is indeed a Paul Byron comparable, certain posters will cream their shorts
tenor.gif

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Ehliz is a tiny guy without a ton of production in the DEL. 25 years old.

Hogstrom doesn't look exceptionally productive in the Swedish league, but at least he's a plus player? 29 years old.

Looks like two guys for Stockton unless they do something special in camp.

Ehliz is everything but tiny, and his production has been rock solid since he broke into the league in 2010/2011. 223 pts in 333 RS games, and 35 points in 53 PO games in the DEL.
It's not a coincidence that Sturm placed him on Dr Drai's wing for the WHC in Denmark - he's been our best winger on the national team in 2018, playing particularly well in the Olympic final vs. OAR. A player in relentless pursuit of the puck with good stickhandling and excellent passing skills, gritty, likes to go into the corners, creates chances, scores goals.
He'll make the Flames' team at some point in the upcoming season - no doubt about that whatsoever. :thumbu:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I wouldn't mind a good 4th liner, if that's what Ehliz ends up being. Flames need all the depth help they can get.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ehliz is everything but tiny, and his production has been rock solid since he broke into the league in 2010/2011. 223 pts in 333 RS games, and 35 points in 53 PO games in the DEL.
It's not a coincidence that Sturm placed him on Dr Drai's wing for the WHC in Denmark - he's been our best winger on the national team in 2018, playing particularly well in the Olympic final vs. OAR. A player in relentless pursuit of the puck with good stickhandling and excellent passing skills, gritty, likes to go into the corners, creates chances, scores goals.
He'll make the Flames' team at some point in the upcoming season - no doubt about that whatsoever. :thumbu:

Really? His hockeydb page has him listed as 5'9" and 165 lbs. That's pretty much Gaudreau-sized.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
As amusing as those are, they aren't really all that relevant here. From a fan of his DEL team, Paul Bryon is a good comparable for style of play.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
I made those mostly out of boredom, I think they will come in handy in some other threads at some point. Like you said, not really relevant here

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If Yasin actually is Paul Byron #2, Santa came early and gave us Ehliz Navidad.

But I honestly think he'd be closer to Lomberg 2.0 or Mangiapane than Byron. This not yet factoring whether he can go higher that those guys and become an NHL regular.

EDIT:

1:26 is classic Byron without as much speed. So entertains! I like Ehliz a lot! :)

But he doesn't ooze Byron to me. He's a different style. I like him in the same way I like Lomberg's game.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
If Yasin actually is Paul Byron #2, Santa came early and gave us Ehliz Navidad.

But I honestly think he'd be closer to Lomberg 2.0 or Mangiapane than Byron. This not yet factoring whether he can go higher that those guys and become an NHL regular.

EDIT:

1:26 is classic Byron without as much speed. So entertains! I like Ehliz a lot! :)

But he doesn't ooze Byron to me. He's a different style. I like him in the same way I like Lomberg's game.

Lomberg and Mangiapane are absolutely nothing alike. Lomberg is basically a lesser Byron who fights.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Lomberg and Mangiapane are absolutely nothing alike. Lomberg is basically a lesser Byron who fights.

Agreed, and that's sorta the point IMO. I'm looking at highlights of Ehliz and he doesn't really look like a Byron clone to me. None of that blazing fast speed to spare. But I also don't see enough highlights out there to properly figure out what Ehliz's style is. I don't think we'd really know until training camp what type of playing style he wants to play in NA. That's why I said he's probably closer to those guys. He's easily a lesser Byron or a different styled player. But for whatever bizarre reason, there's probably like 9 minutes of interviews to 15 seconds of tape of Ehliz. This without watching DEL games from the last few years front start to finish.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Agreed, and that's sorta the point IMO. I'm looking at highlights of Ehliz and he doesn't really look like a Byron clone to me. None of that blazing fast speed to spare. But I also don't see enough highlights out there to properly figure out what Ehliz's style is. I don't think we'd really know until training camp what type of playing style he wants to play in NA. That's why I said he's probably closer to those guys. He's easily a lesser Byron or a different styled player. But for whatever bizarre reason, there's probably like 9 minutes of interviews to 15 seconds of tape of Ehliz. This without watching DEL games from the last few years front start to finish.
Even if he is a bit slower, the overall play style is similar, especially if you see a comparison to Lomberg who is a slower, less talented version of Byron. Ehliz will also likely look faster and more physical on smaller NA sized rink too.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Even if he is a bit slower, the overall play style is similar, especially if you see a comparison to Lomberg who is a slower, less talented version of Byron. Ehliz will also likely look faster and more physical on smaller NA sized rink too.

I know you watch more Stockton games than I do and thus likely have a better grip on Lomberg's style, but I've personally never really seen Lomberg as being like Byron. The comparisons I've seen is Pat Verbeek (the little ball of hate) which I ascribe to. TBH, I think Mangiapane is closer to Byron than Lomberg... but I wouldn't fight to the death to defend my opinion.

That being said, I think Lomberg and Byron have styles that complement each other. If someone were to spend some time merging the two into a single body, I'd expect nothing less than a modern Theo Fleury lite.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I know you watch more Stockton games than I do and thus likely have a better grip on Lomberg's style, but I've personally never really seen Lomberg as being like Byron. The comparisons I've seen is Pat Verbeek (the little ball of hate) which I ascribe to. TBH, I think Mangiapane is closer to Byron than Lomberg... but I wouldn't fight to the death to defend my opinion.

That being said, I think Lomberg and Byron have styles that complement each other. If someone were to spend some time merging the two into a single body, I'd expect nothing less than a modern Theo Fleury lite.
When I compare Lomberg and Byron, I compare them as AHLers. In the AHL Byron was alot more physical when he was in Abbotsford than he has been in the NHL and I often referred to him as a "bulldog". Back then I was probably the only guy saying that he had an NHL future.

Byron is/was quicker, Lomberg is more prone to drop the gloves, but Byron was also more prone to deliver a dirty hit. Players don't bring the same physicality to the NHL as they do the AHL as the guys in the NHL are both bigger and quicker, making them harder to hit and it takes more out of you when you do. Byron received more offensive opportunities and he was simply more talented than Lomberg, but overall their playing styles (in the AHL) is quite similar. In the A, the combination of a shorter schedule and playing mostly on weekends, allows you to have more time to recover between games, so you see more guys play with that fire and intensity more often in the AHL.

Should Lomberg make it to the NHL, I suspect he too will lose some of the physicality. But again, due to having much less skill, he will be used in roles that will force him to play more physical, more often.

Reactions: Fig

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We would've won the cup this past season if we still had Paul 'Hit the Post' Byron on our team. Change my mind.
He's definitely attainable this summer if the reports are true that Bergevin has been told to commit to a rebuild

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->