Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Linden Vey [1 year/ $700k AAV/two-way]

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Well sort of. I don't believe a 2-way deal can be for more than the 900K or whatever it is that is the maximum of cap that can be erased by sending someone down, so while in reality no, 2-way doesn't mean that, but it might as well.

I don't even know that there is a cap on the value of a 2-way contract, but if you're paying a guy over a million dollars in the NHL it wouldn't make sense that he'd be signing a 2-way contract anyway, since he clearly has perceived value as an NHL player.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Clearly a Stockton signing. As Treliving stated in his interview yesterday; I expect a few more of these.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Good depth signing, hopefully some of the personal distractions can be solved so he can get back to focussing on hockey.

It certainly speaks to his character though, that is not easy for anyone to go through.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Terrible player.

He's not bad on the PP, where when the game is moving slowly he can think it well enough to pick up some points.

At ES, he's a disaster. Even in the AHL. Small, slow, soft as butter, weak defensively, terrible on faceoff. Can't PK and provides zero intangibles. Generates shot attempts at about the same rate as John Scott.

Scored 2 ES goals in ~70 games between the AHL and NHL last year while getting top-6 minutes nearly the entire time at both levels and having his junior coach spoonfeeding opportunities in the NHL.

Seems like a nice guy and has had some tough stuff to deal with, but he's a guy you don't want anywhere but the AHL.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Don't quote me on this but I heard on SN360 that the AAV is 650,000 in the NHL.

Canucks fan coming in peace. You better hope thats what he get. Anything over $750,000 is a bad deal. He was OUR 13th forward. He's very weak along the boards. But does show some offensive skill. Still it isn't enough to overlook his small stature and HORRIBLE face off skills.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Canucks fan coming in peace. You better hope thats what he get. Anything over $750,000 is a bad deal. He was OUR 13th forward. He's very weak along the boards. But does show some offensive skill. Still it isn't enough to overlook his small stature and HORRIBLE face off skills.
Most figure he will either be a 13th/14th forward or in the AHL, I imagine any shot of making the big club as a regular would be as a middle 6 RW

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Good signing on a two way contract. Its good to have some guys like this in the farm to help take pressure off the young guys to produce offence. Not much to show in the NHL, but if your center ice is decimated by injuries hes not a bad guy to take some sheltered minutes, help out on the PP, and is OK in the shootout.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I take the criticism with a grain of salt. I don't expect a ton from this player, but he's moved on now so he's an easy target.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Canucks fan here:
If you expect anything but a AHL call up/13th forward, you're out for a disappointment.
Vey is a skilled player but not skilled enough to be a top 6 forward in NHL, as a bottom 6 he's too soft usually gets man handle in the corner and isn't really good defensively.
To me he's a career AHLer, but for some reason he got tons of loves from our coaching staffs, played on the first unit PP and received 2nd line ice times.
Just pray that Gullitzan doesn't have some sort of addictions toward him.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
I think this speaks to the class the Flames organization has and specifically Treliving himself. He is building a family culture here and he is seeing a kid that has had a hell of a lot going on in his life and is willing to give him a chance to resurrect his career. There is no one here who understands just what this kid has gone through (myself included obviously) and as much as he doesn't want to admit it affected his on ice performance, it obviously did. Can he get back on track and get his career back, who knows, but I am glad we are the organization that is willing to step up and give him an opportunity. The kid has been living in hell for a couple years now and I'm sure this not only affected his on ice performance but his personal life away from the game tremendously and hopefully he can now turn the page and put this in the past.....somewhat.

If anything he goes to the farm and becomes a leader down there. With this family issue mainly behind him, his character and life experience may make him a much stronger person and a great leader for the kids in our system, could be win/win for all involved. Who knows, maybe he doesn't make our team but could impress another team enough to pick him up on waivers thus allowing him to stay in the bigs? This is his opportunity, he now needs to make the best of it. Proud of the Flames for stepping up here and giving him the chance though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Canucks fan here:
If you expect anything but a AHL call up/13th forward, you're out for a disappointment.
Vey is a skilled player but not skilled enough to be a top 6 forward in NHL, as a bottom 6 he's too soft usually gets man handle in the corner and isn't really good defensively.
To me he's a career AHLer, but for some reason he got tons of loves from our coaching staffs, played on the first unit PP and received 2nd line ice times.
Just pray that Gullitzan doesn't have some sort of addictions toward him.

Pretty sure we all think he's just that.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Can we sort of agree replacement wise he's a minor downgrade on Granlund but can be kept on the farm?

The AHL looks like it will potentially flooded with new talent due to the guys we let go without a QO.

Pollock, Mangiapane, Andersson, Pribyl, Rittich seem like guys who will be there for the first time, also unsure what other prospects of ours who might end up there and there might be some new blood added to that team as well via signings (John Scott for Character please? :naughty:).

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The Flames sign a few of these type every year. Last few years it was Grant, Wolf, Hamilton Nakaladal...etc.. This year it's Vey...

They are nothing except minor league depth and in case of injury.

It would be a miracle of these guys become anything useful.

Aug 21, 2014
Can we sort of agree replacement wise he's a minor downgrade on Granlund but can be kept on the farm?

The AHL looks like it will potentially flooded with new talent due to the guys we let go without a QO.

Pollock, Mangiapane, Andersson, Pribyl, Rittich seem like guys who will be there for the first time, also unsure what other prospects of ours who might end up there and there might be some new blood added to that team as well via signings (John Scott for Character please? :naughty:).

Baby Flames need a captain and a goon, Scott fits the bill...

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Vey not first line RW?

I am disappoint.

Remember how five years ago we made the same jokes about every waiver wire pickup being our new #1C. Except back then it was true and they did end up centering Iggy at some point. :(

I don't expect to see Vey in the NHL this year but good luck to him in Stockton all the same. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad