Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Kenny Agostino to a 2-Yr Contract

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yes! :yo:

Before Weisbrod, we rarely ever scouted in the NCAA. I expect Burke to continue that trend as well as he likes Americans.

I was reading this article about how more Americans are right handed hockey players. And Canadians are rarely right handed. Something to do with kids learning other sports first, like baseball or golf. So more American players wouldn't hurt our depth

Aug 3, 2010
I was reading this article about how more Americans are right handed hockey players. And Canadians are rarely right handed. Something to do with kids learning other sports first, like baseball or golf. So more American players wouldn't hurt our depth

If you've played hockey, you know that the dominant hand in Canada commonly is coached to hold the knob area of the stick and the non-dominant hand holds the shaft. It's rumoured to produce less power in shot strength but higher dexterity.

Normally speaking, you would hold naturally hold the stick shaft with your dominant hand, giving a more powerful shot (as that is the flex point of most hockey sticks) but less stickhandling ability.

Again, it's a coaching thing and not anything else really. But who can say Canada's system is wrong?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If you've played hockey, you know that the dominant hand in Canada commonly is coached to hold the knob area of the stick and the non-dominant hand holds the shaft. It's rumoured to produce less power in shot strength but higher dexterity.

Normally speaking, you would hold naturally hold the stick shaft with your dominant hand, giving a more powerful shot (as that is the flex point of most hockey sticks) but less stickhandling ability.

Again, it's a coaching thing and not anything else really. But who can say Canada's system is wrong?

I dunno. I think holding the stick with the dominant hand lower in the shaft gives you more stickhandling ability. But I'm a righty, who's also right hand dominant :laugh:

I look at it like a pencil. Try drawing a picture with your hand holding the pencil at the eraser. You get more control with the hand closer to the tip. My hand at the knob supports and stabilizes, while the dominant hand does all the effort, which is what dominant hands are use to.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

I was taught this as well. I remember when I was about six at a hockey clinic where the instructor asked me:
"What hand do you write with? Right hand? Then your right hand goes on the top."

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I was taught this as well. I remember when I was about six at a hockey clinic where the instructor asked me:
"What hand do you write with? Right hand? Then your right hand goes on the top."

Wow, a hockey clinic. I learned to play hockey on a slough. I think by the time I was 6 I was already stuck in my ways. :laugh:

Aug 3, 2010
I dunno. I think holding the stick with the dominant hand lower in the shaft gives you more stickhandling ability. But I'm a righty, who's also right hand dominant :laugh:

I look at it like a pencil. Try drawing a picture with your hand holding the pencil at the eraser. You get more control with the hand closer to the tip. My hand at the knob supports and stabilizes, while the dominant hand does all the effort, which is what dominant hands are use to.

I was unaware that your pencil ended in a curve... :laugh:

Seriously though - from a NY Times article (though I'm sure there's many more sources.)
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/sports/olympics/16lefty.html?_r=0

The Canadian journalist and author Bruce Dowbiggin noted the Canadian-American handedness split in his 2001 book, “The Stick: A History, a Celebration, an Elegy.” On Dowbiggin’s Web site, a reader named Kent Mayhew suggested the difference may have to do with how old a player is when he first picks up a hockey stick.

P.S. As a goaltender my stick hand is my right hand whereas my catcher is my left. When I play the puck, I am therefore shooting left - I am right-hand dominant.

“The top hand on a hockey stick has to be able to handle the torques of a stick while the bottom hand just has to handle the weight with no torques,” he wrote. He theorized that American children, who tend to take up hockey when they are older and bigger, can afford to put the stronger hand, generally the right, on the lower part of the shaft for more precision.

A lot of experts would argue, however, that having the dominant hand on top makes for better control and stick-handling.

The United States Olympic women’s hockey coach, Mark Johnson, is in that camp, but he said: “Whether you’re living in a hotbed hockey community or you live in a naïve place where you don’t really know hockey, and you’re a mother or a father taking your daughter to a hockey shop, you’ll ask, ‘Which way do you write?’ If she says right-handed, well, she’s going to be right-handed.

“That’s generally not the way you want to do it. You want your dominant hand on top of your stick. But you look around and there’s a lot of right-handed female players, more so than with men.”

Anyways, like I said it's probably more a thing with coaching but seeing as Canada finds so much success (and according to the article, the Europeans do the same as Canada) with stick-handedness that there's probably not much reason to change it now unless there's conclusive evidence to the contrary.

P.S.: Playing as a goaltender, I've always caught with my left and blocker side was right - therefore when I handled the puck, I shot left because the glove can't stickhandle otherwise. I'm right-hand dominant as well.

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Agostino was 132 points in 134 games. He won a championship last year. Also he wore #94 in training camp. Random statement

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
So put a curve at the end of the pencil... you'll get the same effect? A martial artist holding a spear also has the dominant hand near the shaft. Martial arts are all about precision

I don't care what the hockey pros say. I'm the kind of guy who questions a flawed system ;)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I agree with MarkGio. I feel more in control of my stick blade with my dominant right hand on the shaft. And I like the analogy with the pencil.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
I'm a lefty, dominate hand on the knob. Not to sound too conceited but i'm pretty good at handling the puck. It also helps that I cut my stick down like 5 inches below my chin.

If your dominate hand is down the shaft, you should have a harder shot. If your dominate hand is on the knob, you should have better control.

Thats IMO.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Happy that he signed. Curious to see if he gets some games with the Flames or goes straight to the heat.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Darren Haynes ‏@DarrenHaynes_CP now
As Agostino signed a contract that includes 2013-14 season, he would have needed to have been assigned to AHL prior to NHL trade deadline.

Darren Haynes ‏@DarrenHaynes_CP 3m
I have confirmed with Flames Hockey Ops that indeed, Kenny Agostino CANNOT be assigned to the AHL this season and will remain with Calgary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad