Post-Game Talk: Flames/Sharks/7/Saddledome/SNW/960/The Numbers Don't Lie

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yes yes Kulak is an ECHLer who doesn't belong in the same sentence as Wotherspoon you've already told me it all before :popcorn:

I really want to see what Nakladal can do. He's clearly too good for the AHL.

Yes, I would love to call Nakladal up at #7 but the likelyhood Engelland gets injured is low. I also don't like Wideman playing left side, he tends to misplay the puck there.

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
Why are frolik and Backlund getting so little ice time now? They were great with bennett then all of a sudden each is only getting 10-12 mins a game

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I personally think Engellend has been fantastic as of late.

They have him in the perfect role, that's for sure. Not sure he's ready to jump back to being Brodie's partner on the top line though.

He did stop one or two goals from happening last night on his own though!

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Yes yes Kulak is an ECHLer who doesn't belong in the same sentence as Wotherspoon you've already told me it all before :popcorn:

Yes, I would love to call Nakladal up at #7 but the likelyhood Engelland gets injured is low. I also don't like Wideman playing left side, he tends to misplay the puck there.

[mod]

Would like to see one of Nakladal/Wotherspoon/Kulak up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Am I the only one that thinks Mason Raymond has been much better this year? He started brutally but he wasn't the black hole he was last year.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
And might as well leave Kulak in the minors. No need to rush him along. He can play big minutes in the AHL.

I actually like our D right now. Roll with it until we lose. Then maybe call up Nakladal at some point.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Am I the only one that thinks Mason Raymond has been much better this year? He started brutally but he wasn't the black hole he was last year.

I really don't think he's been much better at all. I think all of the positives that people have pointed out this year were also present last year (remember, the guy actually scored a hat-trick last season in a game where the Flames played like ****), and I think all the negatives that people noticed last year are still present in his game this year (falling over, wasting chances, not getting the puck to the net etc.).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Would like to see one of Nakladal/Wotherspoon/Kulak up.

It'd be nice to inject one of those guys on the backend. I'd like to see what Nakladal can do, in the championships last year he looked great; and from all coaching reports from the A he's been an excellent dman there.

Life would be a lot easier if we moved Wideman; he's not offensive dynamite as he was last year and his defensive play this year is still fairly questionable, even with the team trending positively. You can't really sit Engels or Smido, because they've been playing okay together (amazingly) and have been keeping things really simple.

There's far, far too much money tied into the backend in Calgary; for fairly average talent. Smid, Engels, Russ and Wideman account for about 15 million. That's a ton of space for non essential role players.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Ahh the optical illusion that is Mason Raymond. Sometimes he's good, sometimes he's bad, incredibly unbeknownst to all he's average. Difference this year he's somehow even more depressingly average on a team that's in last place, that really has no tangible need for another soft small speedy winger that struggles to provide consistent production, or even possession. Don't get me wrong, I like MayRay, liked the signing when we were bringing in local guys for the hell of it.. but that, let me inform you good sir, is because I'm an idiot.

Won't get fooled again

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
It'd be nice to inject one of those guys on the backend. I'd like to see what Nakladal can do, in the championships last year he looked great; and from all coaching reports from the A he's been an excellent dman there.

Life would be a lot easier if we moved Wideman; he's not offensive dynamite as he was last year and his defensive play this year is still fairly questionable, even with the team trending positively. You can't really sit Engels or Smido, because they've been playing okay together (amazingly) and have been keeping things really simple.

There's far, far too much money tied into the backend in Calgary; for fairly average talent. Smid, Engels, Russ and Wideman account for about 15 million. That's a ton of space for non essential role players.

That's pretty generous. lol. Three bottom pairing defencemen and a #4 clocking in at an average of almost 4 million each.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Ahh the optical illusion that is Mason Raymond. Sometimes he's good, sometimes he's bad, incredibly unbeknownst to all he's average. Difference this year he's somehow even more depressingly average on a team that's in last place, that really has no tangible need for another soft small speedy winger that struggles to provide consistent production, or even possession. Don't get me wrong, I like MayRay, liked the signing when we were bringing in local guys for the hell of it.. but that, let me inform you good sir, is because I'm an idiot.

Won't get fooled again

Yeah, his one job is to create offense and he's not doing that at all. Effort and hustle is there but nothing happens. He's our Yakupov. Pretty sure he's bought out next summer, barring some crazy turnaround.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
I just shake my head that contract. Why did he ever get a 3 year deal after coming off a year where he had to win a contract from a PTO?

You look at some of Treliving's moves and he starts to seem fallible.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bit of an overreaction, no?

Probably. People forget we were thought of as a bottom feeder and had to overpay for FA's. There was demand for Raymond as a FA that year, he would have got 2.5 with pretty much anyone that was interested. Flames overpaid probably 250-500k to secure his services (also see Engelland).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad