GDT: Flames @ Preds | 4/26/2022 | Get Your S**t together Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I've always said the GDT is for the emotional fan response, rational or not, during games and avoided it for years before finally embracing it probably during the Cup run. I like to think of it as a group of us hanging out in a sports bar watching the game together, it's just a way to feel connected as a fanbase when we can't be at the games.

I expect some, or many, bad takes. I make a lot of comments myself in the moment that turn out to be false after review or whatever.

It's best just not to take the GDT too serious, people are allowed to make regrettable posts here, nobody has to agree with it. But even those who argue against emotional responses are kind of doing so as their own emotional response. I don't think it's just a coincidence that the game ended the way it did and the GDT ended the way it did.

We'll just come back for the next one and root the Preds on to victory!
I'd like to clarify that I have no problem with the emotions in the GDTs. They are like you said, a group of people basically hanging out and watching the game together. I even create them sometimes but rarely contribute to them. I stay out of them because it's not my thing and I really didn't intend to bash anyone.

Part of it for me is the years I've spent on a hockey bench trying to keep the players focused on the game and creating a positive fun atmosphere no matter the situation on the ice. As a coach you do yourself and your team a disservice if you are wildly emotional during a game. This has bled into how I enjoy sports as a fan, even at the games. Several years back I had seats that were in front of a group of people that where like sitting behind a Twitter troll, every time certain players touched the puck or certain situations came up there was always some negative comment and the littlest thing would be such a big deal it drove me insane and quite frankly ruined the in game experience. Needless to say I moved my seats.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Everyone is going to handle things differently. It's called a game day thread for a reason, its a place to throw things out there at that point in time. Go look at every teams thread and that is exactly what it is, a reactionary thread based on what is happening at that point in time. It is not necessarily designed to be for level headed discussion. There are a whole host of threads designed for that. It's the reason they are fairly restrictive on people making posts in GDT's from outside the fan base, it can be a rough enough place as it is without outside trolling making it worse.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I also think different perspectives don't necessarily mean someone is less of a fan. For example, if one is saying they'd rather the Preds just miss the playoffs if Rittich is in net then that's probably a very short hand way of saying they'd rather have a better draft pick than watch what they feel is a definite first round exit. That may mean they gave up on the team's chances this season but from their perspective they're thinking of the overall franchise. It doesn't mean they bailed on the Preds.

This one is easier for me to understand because I go back and forth on it myself. Of course I've also got a lot of money tied up in what I expect to be some pretty disappointing home games if Saros is out so that is something else on my mind. Doesn't make me less of a fan. I'll be in my seats next season regardless.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Outsider here stopping by to say that was 1 helluva crazy game last night (too bad about Saros).

Wouldn't mind seeing your team taking on the Flames in the 1st round...Living in the Milwaukee area I might have to jump on the bandwagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad