GDT: Flames @ Pittsburgh

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Yeah, best road trip ever
FC1KnbXWYCA7BEb
we outscored the other teams 21-7 whereas the blues went 16-3 and the blackhawks 23-5. clearly this proves we still have goaltending issues to address ASAP

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Were the Flames good or just Markstrom?

I was not able to catch any of this one?

Flames weren't great, but Sutter had some weird D pairs out there so each pair had a bit of an anchor:

Andersson-Tanev - Andersson really struggled, playing the left side is not his forte. Markstrom had to make some big saves.

Valimaki-Gudbranson - I thought that was Guddy's worst game of the year. He struggled with the elevated role. They definitely benefitted from Markstrom.

Kylington-Stone - Stone looked like a #7D playing his first game of the year. Kylington did his best to make lemonade out of it and ended up with the third star, but they definitely benefitted from Markstrom.

Reactions: Mazatt

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I will also say it's genuinely nice that, under Sutter, there's a much clearer picture of what players are. Under coaches prior there could always be this air of "mismanagement" that made it hard to get a good read on what a player is. Is Bennett bad or are his linemates awful? Is Gaudreau burnt or is he getting run with Monahan too much? Is Kylington actually good or bad when he gets to play?

Of course some questions remain (or more thoughts) as far as "Is Andersson bad or is he above his head/not meant for the top PP unit?" but it is so refreshing that players are seemingly getting a fair shake to show what they can do in proper spots without the overbearing lack of direction form coaches on a masssive scale. Even Dube who struggled early at C is getting an extended look that some guys would never get in previous years (Sutter specifically mentioning speed down the middle down important reminds me of someone here lmao).

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Well let's enjoy this one boys. For the time being, we are officially numero uno in the conference, only behind the two still-perfect teams in league standings. How many of us would've predicted that? Let's just hope the Flames can keep this magic going at home.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is the least confident I've ever been about our depth but Sutter's making us look the best we ever have. Coaching, huh
I'm surprised that you would see our depth as poor of all things this year. We have effective players on every line, really.

You could certainly argue that we have the least convincing second line that we've had in recent memory (whether that is the Backlund line or the Dube line), but we don't really have liabilities filling out our roster like in most years. Pretty much twelve reliable forwards who can generally be relied on to make the right play and not cost us.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I'm surprised that you would see our depth as poor of all things this year. We have effective players on every line, really.

You could certainly argue that we have the least convincing second line that we've had in recent memory (whether that is the Backlund line or the Dube line), but we don't really have liabilities filling out our roster like in most years. Pretty much twelve reliable forwards who can generally be relied on to make the right play and not cost us.

the flames are winning right now and playing great but Ritchie, Lucic, Gudbranson, and probably even Valimaki will be liabilities at some point this season. There is definitely some room for improvement at the bottom of the lineup. But they're doing their jobs for now.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Like Gulutzan was the smartest guy when it comes to all these tactics and

and then

Versteeg-Bennett-Brouwer wtf

Like, I actually get that line in theory. Versteeg has always been a decent playmaker. Brouwer is a crash-and-bang guy with netfront abilities (you know, until he came to Calgary). And Bennett is a shooter who can crash and bang as well. Brouwer can kind of do more of the physical stuff to let Benny focus on playing C, and Steeger can set him up for shots.

Unfortunately it just didn't work out (I still remember Versteeg being decent when he wasn't injured, and one of those injuries was Brouwer taking him out too). Which went back to being fourth line winger Bennett.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Marky the Octopus.

I wasn't expecting this, Coleman is also sneaking into the "good soldier" debate.

Let's play like this at home fellas

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Depth is a little bit better than last year. Three good lines. The defense overall is not impressive, but we have 8. Two competent goalies.

The farm will get better as we have some real prospects ready soon instead of pretenders like Ruzicka and Phillips.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Nice to see us stringing some fun wins and top spot in the standings. I'm loving seeing Gaudreau unhooked from Monahan. This is fun Sutter hockey to watch . . . For now. 2-1 hockey seems to be the normal brand but they seem to be allowed to play offensively. So nice to see. A shutout is great too.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Markstrom was something else last night; just Mr. Cool, was in total control with his movements and his anticipation of plays was elite level last night.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

I mean we were 5 games in and Mangiapane and Lindholm were responsible for almost all of our even strength goals.

I think we have a very defensively responsible group of forwards and I'm glad that the goals are starting to come for our Coleman etc but if you look at our bottom 6, there's few gunslingers or shorthanded speedster gods in there compared to years past.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
the flames are winning right now and playing great but Ritchie, Lucic, Gudbranson, and probably even Valimaki will be liabilities at some point this season. There is definitely some room for improvement at the bottom of the lineup. But they're doing their jobs for now.
Lucic and Ritchie are our bottom two players in ice time on the entire roster, and the other two are a sheltered bottom pair.
There are maybe like two teams in the entire league with positive difference makers in these positions, and dare I’d say zero at both. You aren’t doing bad if those are your teams liabilities, and so far we haven’t had any others that we have had to play.
I mean we were 5 games in and Mangiapane and Lindholm were responsible for almost all of our even strength goals.

I think we have a very defensively responsible group of forwards and I'm glad that the goals are starting to come for our Coleman etc but if you look at our bottom 6, there's few gunslingers or shorthanded speedster gods in there compared to years past.
It’s been continuously pointed out that we are the most dangerous team in the league short handed, and bottom 6 gunslinger is pretty much code for creates offensive chances but gets caved in more than he produces. Also I know it doesn’t feel like it but Dube and Mangiapane are getting less time on ice than every other line this year and are our 3rd or 4th line any given night and they pretty much satisfy all those options.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Crazy that we 1. Didn't bring Rieder back, and 2. no one else has thought to bring Rieder along since his time in Buffalo. I can't imagine he's fallen off that hard, and he'd be a very solid 4th line add to any team to bring strong shorthanded play and legit speed w/strong forechecking... at least presuming that "shorthnaded speedster gods" is in reference to Rieder and fellas like Graber.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Crazy that we 1. Didn't bring Rieder back, and 2. no one else has thought to bring Rieder along since his time in Buffalo. I can't imagine he's fallen off that hard, and he'd be a very solid 4th line add to any team to bring strong shorthanded play and legit speed w/strong forechecking... at least presuming that "shorthnaded speedster gods" is in reference to Rieder and fellas like Graber.

Totally agree. I think Rieder would have been a good fit on the Pens, he’s seems like their kind of player. But I liked him here in his role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad