Rumor: Flames listening to trade offers for Sean Monahan

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As another one of those Wild fans it's probably worth pointing out that Russo's insisted Guerin had no interest last summer. I can't remember if he's stated or implied that it was for character reasons, but if it's for hockey reasons I can think of at least one thing that may have changed the outlook since then: Kaprizov.

So I don't know what had Guerin crossing Monahan off the list 9 months ago, but he checks a lot of boxes for Minnesota right now. Whether or not they'd be able to meet on a price is a whole other question, I guess.
The thing is, 9 months ago we were refusing to move Monahan to Columbus in a Josh Anderson deal because we weren't willing to move a center, and RW was a bigger need for us than RD, so I really doubt there was ever any discussions beyond "what's the cost" inquiries. But the character thing Russo said this past week, which is the biggest load of garbage.

Russo is about as solid as a beat reporter can get for a team. If he says the wild, the team he covers thoroughly, is not interested in him why would you not believe him?

It’s really not difficult to believe a team isn’t interested in another teams player even if he fits a need
I never said I don't believe if there is interest, I am saying I don't believe the reason Russo is citing. In Monahan's entire career the only thing he's done wrong is he was late for 1 practice the day after a superbowl several years ago for which he accepted responsibility.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The thing is, 9 months ago we were refusing to move Monahan to Columbus in a Josh Anderson deal because we weren't willing to move a center, and RW was a bigger need for us than RD, so I really doubt there was ever any discussions beyond "what's the cost" inquiries. But the character thing Russo said this past week, which is the biggest load of garbage.
To clarify, this is what was actually published:
Sean Monahan
At 26, the Flames center has two years left at $6.375 million. He’s a three-time 30-goal scorer and scored 82 points three seasons ago, but he’s coming off a couple down seasons, and the Wild didn’t seem very interested in him last offseason when word began to emerge that he could be had. He’s not exactly a line driver and, fair or not, there’s a perception out there in the hockey community that his character is a question mark.
Whatever one might say about Russo the guy talks to just about everybody, so if he says the perception is out there then it probably is. Whether or not that perception matches reality is a whole other question. To a great degree this kind of thing always strikes me as glorified high school BS, but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect decisions.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Whatever one might say about Russo the guy talks to just about everybody, so if he says the perception is out there then it probably is. Whether or not that perception matches reality is a whole other question. To a great degree this kind of thing always strikes me as glorified high school BS, but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect decisions.
My guess is his "hockey community" includes media and we have one of those piece of garbage reporters who happens to work for Sportsnet that has unfairly questioned Monahan's character

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
My guess is his "hockey community" includes media and we have one of those piece of garbage reporters who happens to work for Sportsnet that has unfairly questioned Monahan's character
Going by the name dropping in his podcasts it's definitely not just the media he's talking to about this stuff.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Going by the name dropping in his podcasts it's definitely not just the media he's talking to about this stuff.
I meant specifically in regards to Monahan and the claim of character issues, the only thing that makes sense is when Eric Francis threw Monahan under the bus like 4 years ago, citing his poor play was due to character issues and a lack of heart, then Monahan ended up needing multiple surgeries that offseason. Because even Daryl Sutter has praised Monahan's character.

Reactions: Fig

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Anyone who thinks Monahan has character issues is dead wrong. You could question several other players for the Flames character before Monahan's. He is a classy dude, plays through pain, never complains and is very well thought of as a person by everyone who has even interacted with him.

Now, if you want to question how much he contributes to winning, puck possession, how much of a product of Gaudreau he is then I think that's all debatable stuff.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Never seen any indications of an issue with his character.

He's just made of glass and not very aggressive for a guy his size.

Reactions: hn777

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Yeah, that one was super weird of a comment that we discussed. Many Flames fans don't have an issue if somehow we are shopping Monahan. We don't have an issue if it is just other GM calling to inquire instead. We don't have an issue if other GM think Monahan isn't the type of player they want or need for their roster fit wise...

But the character issue comment makes no sense. Eric Francis questioned Monahan's character before and evidence came out that completely refuted him into embarrassment. Players and management constantly mention Monahan has great attitude and character (ie: refusing to go on IR to help the team... even to his own detriment; doing everything the coaches ask of him and more based on what the coach is hoping for end results wise etc.).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, that one was super weird of a comment that we discussed. Many Flames fans don't have an issue if somehow we are shopping Monahan. We don't have an issue if it is just other GM calling to inquire instead. We don't have an issue if other GM think Monahan isn't the type of player they want or need for their roster fit wise...

But the character issue comment makes no sense. Eric Francis questioned Monahan's character before and evidence came out that completely refuted him into embarrassment. Players and management constantly mention Monahan has great attitude and character (ie: refusing to go on IR to help the team... even to his own detriment; doing everything the coaches ask of him and more based on what the coach is hoping for end results wise etc.).
Which is why I say it always strikes me as high school BS. Just watching HF for any length of time you get a pretty good idea of how quickly bad information can spread and amplify through a community. I'm sure it's not much different among players/coaches/management/media in the "hockey community." I'd assume that a GM's due diligence would involve ignoring that and finding people that actually know what they're talking about instead of making decisions based on whisper networks. But who knows.

Reactions: Fig

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Which is why I say it always strikes me as high school BS. Just watching HF for any length of time you get a pretty good idea of how quickly bad information can spread and amplify through a community. I'm sure it's not much different among players/coaches/management/media in the "hockey community." I'd assume that a GM's due diligence would involve ignoring that and finding people that actually know what they're talking about instead of making decisions based on whisper networks. But who knows.

I think most Flames fans wouldn't question his character.
We've heard it from our coaches that the guy is a solid guy and doesn't carry around any kind of baggage in that regard.

I think where you'd get "character" questions from other scouting staffs and GMs (leaning on scouting staffs) is that Monahan plays with an a lot of invisibility. It's not a character thing, but if the game is getting heavy, he's going to disappear quicker than Gaudreau (who's like half his size); if the game is getting chippy he's not going to join any of that. You're never going to see emotion from him unless he scores a big goal. In fact, you likely won't hear his name most nights unless he scores a big goal. You could probably run his goalie and I don't think you'd get much of a heartbeat out of the guy.

He fought once in his career, and Nugent-Hopkins beat the shit out of him.

Character though? I don't think we could really question it to be honest. One, we just don't know. Two, it always comes out at the end of the year he's been playing with something that he should not have been playing with; right or wrong, it does take some sack to go through it.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I would not be very happy as a Jets fan. Lowry is a beast and may be the best 3rd line C in the league and Copp is a vital role player and leader on the Jets. I am not sure replacing either with Monahan is an improvement for the Jets (Monahan would be the 3C on the Jets behind Scheifele and Dubois - and he is not really a shut down calibre C ). Pelletier is a good prospect but not enough to swing the deal IMO.
Interesting. Flames call tjus _hitty garbage for them. Jets fans call it _hitty for them.
I, call it a _hut-disturbing either/or proposal that could make sebse fir both, if both teams making other moves elsewhere.
Example. Monahan could be the 2C IF Chevy moves PL Dubois to say, Montreal for a top RW and high prospect. Flames could be very solid, reborn in their 2nd/3rd lines while moving Backlund for a high-rated prospect RW needed badly. Move Lindholm to 1C with Johnny and Tk-truck on the wings. Copp could center Mangie & Dubs , type of thing. New RW could move in , up, around to find best fit.
But...waste of braincells ( not too many mind you) and lots of garble-gargle over?...

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Pelletier is going to be another Mangiapane+. Trading him makes no sense given where the Flames are.

don’t see a team like Winnipeg giving up basically all their heart and soul forwards.

Monahan needs to go to a team who could use finishing. That isn’t Winnipeg.
Wpg is likely losing Copp anyways. Unless they overpay and convince him the coaching staff is not the problem to not getting better Playoff results, but Chevy garners a couple other roster moves that convinces Copp Jets are really contending in the now.
Copp is a true Red-White'n'Blue believer who has enjoyed his time in Wpg, developing into a very solid quality 2nd/3rd line value Nhl player.
He owns property and a home in Florida, along with his family and will likely want to be closer to there southern US team of some sort.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Anyone who thinks Monahan has character issues is dead wrong. You could question several other players for the Flames character before Monahan's. He is a classy dude, plays through pain, never complains and is very well thought of as a person by everyone who has even interacted with him.

Now, if you want to question how much he contributes to winning, puck possession, how much of a product of Gaudreau he is then I think that's all debatable stuff.
Right on, double-dd's:thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad