Rumor: Flames listening to trade offers for Sean Monahan

Ledge And Dairy

I’m not saying the deal was fair but Lowry is far far better than Derek Ryan.
At hitting and fighting? Sure. Everything else? Not so much.
SrQcJyP.jpg

MISlrLn.jpg

Reactions: Rebels57

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Surprised I haven’t heard him and Gaudreau name more often. It would be hilarious if they went into next season with both on the roster.

Ledge And Dairy

Can you show Monahan’s #’s vs Lowry?
I can but like Monahan's numbers were pretty bad this year. You know, messed up hip and all basically tanked his GF and xGF. Pretty sure its the same injury (hip disalignment) that caused Seabrook to fall off so fast and eventually end his career a few years early. That or what sidelined Pasta at the start of the season

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Any team that needs a 3rd line center.
Yes, a third line center. Have you watched hockey before? He has 6 less career goals than Nathan MacKinnon from the same draft year. He is no where near the player as MacKinnon but he is no where near a third line center.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yes, a third line center. Have you watched hockey before? He has 6 less career goals than Nathan MacKinnon from the same draft year. He is no where near the player as MacKinnon but he is no where near a third line center.
I mean the last 2 years he's played like a 3C.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His hip surgery was successful, he will be fully healthy by training camp
It's funny when they makes those announcements. All they mean is that they accomplished their objective, didn't find any other nasty stuff inside, and hopefully, didn't leave any nasty stuff inside. The healing period afterwards is also key, and varies from operation to operation, and person to person. That's why they always give percentages when discussing outcomes...sometimes things simply don't work out the way they expect, or hope.

I sure hope that MN is in on this guy. Seems like a buy low opportunity. I know the guy hasn't performed well recently, but his past production is undeniable, and he is still relatively young. Gaudreau could well be responsible for some of his great numbers in the past, but Kaprizov and/or Fiala are also good enough players to help him provide some offensive and PPpunch.

Some of the things that being said about him sound similar to when MN picked up Staal in FA six or so years ago. He was described as a disinterested, one way player who couldn't skate, and was more or less done. He then went on to give MN three of the best years any player has ever given them. Monahan might not be the player he was, but he is 3-4 years younger, and it's not like MN has a lineup of great C's that he has to supplant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bazeek

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It's funny when they makes those announcements. All they mean is that they accomplished their objective, didn't find any other nasty stuff inside, and hopefully, didn't leave any nasty stuff inside. The healing period afterwards is also key, and varies from operation to operation, and person to person. That's why they always give percentages when discussing outcomes...sometimes things simply don't work out the way they expect, or hope.

I sure hope that MN is in on this guy. Seems like a buy low opportunity. I know the guy hasn't performed well recently, but his past production is undeniable, and he is still relatively young. Gaudreau could well be responsible for some of his great numbers in the past, but Kaprizov and/or Fiala are also good enough players to help him provide some offensive and PPpunch.

Some of the things that being said about him sound similar to when MN picked up Staal in FA six or so years ago. He was described as a disinterested, one way player who couldn't skate, and was more or less done. He then went on to give MN three of the best years any player has ever given them. Monahan might not be the player he was, but he is 3-4 years younger, and it's not like MN has a lineup of great C's that he has to supplant.

What would you offer? Because he's not gonna be a buy-low candidate. If he was he would've been traded by now. Treliving won't accept buy-low deals. He waited a long time to trade Bennett and he will do the same with Monahan if he has to.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What would you offer? Because he's not gonna be a buy-low candidate. If he was he would've been traded by now. Treliving won't accept buy-low deals. He waited a long time to trade Bennett and he will do the same with Monahan if he has to.
He's a Wild fan and they take Russo's word as that from the heavens. They won't offer anything because Russo keeps claiming Guerin has no interest in Monahan (even though the Flames weren't willing to move a center when this started) and cited "character issues", which tells me Russo reads Eric Francis more articles than he actually talks to people in the hockey world.

Reactions: CraigsList

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He's a Wild fan and they take Russo's word as that from the heavens. They won't offer anything because Russo keeps claiming Guerin has no interest in Monahan (even though the Flames weren't willing to move a center when this started) and cited "character issues", which tells me Russo reads Eric Francis more articles than he actually talks to people in the hockey world.
Monahan with character issues :laugh:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
As another one of those Wild fans it's probably worth pointing out that Russo's insisted Guerin had no interest last summer. I can't remember if he's stated or implied that it was for character reasons, but if it's for hockey reasons I can think of at least one thing that may have changed the outlook since then: Kaprizov.

So I don't know what had Guerin crossing Monahan off the list 9 months ago, but he checks a lot of boxes for Minnesota right now. Whether or not they'd be able to meet on a price is a whole other question, I guess.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Russo is about as solid as a beat reporter can get for a team. If he says the wild, the team he covers thoroughly, is not interested in him why would you not believe him?

It’s really not difficult to believe a team isn’t interested in another teams player even if he fits a need

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the offers have been done to death in this situation. Seems like some CAL fans would be ok with Dumba, but only after the ED. MN fans would do Dumba before the ED, but not after(for a variety of reasons, but mostly because he wont be on MN). I would consider adding a bit to Dumba if the deal were to be made before the ED, just because the need is so dire in MN for an offensive C that can man the PP. Beckman would be the absolute most we would add( I think it's too much, but I am a Beckman guy)....maybe a 2nd rounder.

Rumor is that Guerin doesn't like Monahan, and likes Dumba, so what I think might not matter.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Russo is about as solid as a bear reporter can get for a team. If he says the wild, the team he covers thoroughly, is not interested in him why would you not believe him?

It’s really not difficult to believe a team isn’t interested in another teams player.
I don't not believe him, but I don't recall him giving a reason for it either. Without knowing the reason it's hard to know if that lack of interest was a hard "no, never" or it was more contextual (i.e. it doesn't make sense to pay the asking price right now).

Russo's info is usually reliable, but he can also beat things into the ground sometimes.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It could be that Guerin, who was a really good power forward with all sorts of toughness, doesn't appreciate larger forwards, or any forwards, who aren't prepared to put their body on the line. He sure couldn't wait to get rid of Staal, and was pretty vocal last off season about needing Greenway to get more serious about his game, which he did. He loves Foligno, JEE, and Hartman....all guys who can bring physicality and effort. Dumba, too, for that matter.

MN could put together other packages for Monahan, but Dumba is the one who is the "buy low" guy because of the ED. If he is still on the team after the ED then there won't be any urgency to move him. He looked pretty good in the playoffs for MN.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It could be that Guerin, who was a really good power forward with all sorts of toughness, doesn't appreciate larger forwards, or any forwards, who aren't prepared to put their body on the line. He sure couldn't wait to get rid of Staal, and was pretty vocal last off season about needing Greenway to get more serious about his game, which he did. He loves Foligno, JEE, and Hartman....all guys who can bring physicality and effort.
I worry that this is exactly the reason. I understand wanting to build a team with that sort of identity, but he cannot be passing up on viable center options over it if the alternative is what we ended up with this season.

Reactions: 57special

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Russo is likely the most or one of the most respected hockey insiders in the NHL on the US side.

I think your homerism for Monahan is showing a bit much here.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I worry that this is exactly the reason. I understand wanting to build a team with that sort of identity, but he cannot be passing up on viable center options over it if the alternative is what we ended up with this season.
Exactly. If he passes on Monahan, then trots Victor Rask at C out there on the PP again next year, my head will explode.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Exactly. If he passes on Monahan, then trots Victor Rask at C out there on the PP again next year, my head will explode.
Yeah, that's another thing. Guerin's offered a pretty passionate defense of Rask, which I get, but what the heck can you say against Monahan that doesn't apply to Rask?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I fail to see how a Dumba for Monahan swap makes any logistical sense from a Calgary perspective.

Calgary already has two legitimate top four right handed defenders in Tanev and Andersson and the team's biggest issue currently is a distinct lack of finishing ability which was only magnified further this past season due to Monahan's injuries...

You don't trade a proven 25+ goal scorer for an organizational strength when your team needs goals..

Bond

May 10, 2012
I fail to see how a Dumba for Monahan swap makes any logistical sense from a Calgary perspective.

Calgary already has two legitimate top four right handed defenders in Tanev and Andersson and the team's biggest issue currently is a distinct lack of finishing ability which was only magnified further this past season due to Monahan's injuries...

You don't trade a proven 25+ goal scorer for an organizational strength when your team needs goals..
It doesn't, especially before the expansion draft. Getting Dumba basically makes the Flames go 4 + 4 and expose another forward. Only way it makes sense is if Andersson goes the other way in an Eichel trade and the Flames aren't getting Eichel lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad