Rumor: Flames listening to trade offers for Sean Monahan

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Obligatory offer of Dumba. Did a search, and was shocked to see that he hadn't been offered yet.
We couldn't do it before expansion, I assume that is part of the reason why and when rumors of Dumba potentially being available sprung up last year, both sides were pretty against it (at least on reddit, I was away from HF at that point in time). But as big of a fan of Dumba as I am, it's not a great fit; if we lose Giordano in expansion, then we need a LD and not a RD, and if they take Kylington instead, that's an addition 6m committed to the blueline when we need to sign a couple top 6 forwards.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We couldn't do it before expansion, I assume that is part of the reason why and when rumors of Dumba potentially being available sprung up last year, both sides were pretty against it (at least on reddit, I was away from HF at that point in time). But as big of a fan of Dumba as I am, it's not a great fit; if we lose Giordano in expansion, then we need a LD and not a RD, and if they take Kylington instead, that's an addition 6m committed to the blueline when we need to sign a couple top 6 forwards.
I would be shocked if they took Giordano, but ya, the only
Reason to move Dumba is because MN is in a bind for the ED.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would be shocked if they took Giordano, but ya, the only
Reason to move Dumba is because MN is in a bind for the ED.
Why would you be shocked? He's still a top pairing defenseman that they can flip at the deadline for far more than they'd get out of selecting someone like Kylington.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Sean Monahan and prospect (c) Jakob Pelletier to Wpg
for center Adam Lowry, winger/center rfa Andrew Copp, signed 3 year minimum, under $5 mil per, rights to rd-Tucker Poolman ahead of FA.
The Jets would definitely prefer to keep Lowry who they just re-signed and Copp if he will re-sign.

Reactions: BatVader

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
That's horrid for the Flames
Ha, ha, ha. Lowry is a better center, in the f/o, positioning, pk, defensive top-line opposition shut-down, just signed 5 yrs at 3.25 mil per and locally born.
Copp had a breakout offensive season, while still providing excellent defensive #'s. He is a better player than Mangiapane, Backlund, Dube, than a Bennett was, etc. He plays in the mold of Coach Sutter style and so does Lowry without the offense. Poolman could be the new decent 3rd pairing D with signing him, on the chesp. Flames already have his younger bro Colton signed.
Change Pelletier to: Mathias Emilio-Pettersen or Adam Ruzicka or Glenn Gawdin, then.
No? Maybe? Move on...

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
That's horrid for the Flames
for center Adam Lowry, winger/center rfa Andrew Copp, signed 3 year minimum, under $5 mil per, rights to rd-Tucker Poolman ahead of FA.

I would not be very happy as a Jets fan. Lowry is a beast and may be the best 3rd line C in the league and Copp is a vital role player and leader on the Jets. I am not sure replacing either with Monahan is an improvement for the Jets (Monahan would be the 3C on the Jets behind Scheifele and Dubois - and he is not really a shut down calibre C ). Pelletier is a good prospect but not enough to swing the deal IMO.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Pelletier is going to be another Mangiapane+. Trading him makes no sense given where the Flames are.

don’t see a team like Winnipeg giving up basically all their heart and soul forwards.

Monahan needs to go to a team who could use finishing. That isn’t Winnipeg.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
I suspect he'll be traded after the Buffalo sweepstakes are over.... Or included in them

Eichel for Monahan, 1st, and a prospect?

Ledge And Dairy

Ha, ha, ha. Lowry is a better center, in the f/o, positioning, pk, defensive top-line opposition shut-down, just signed 5 yrs at 3.25 mil per and locally born.
Copp had a breakout offensive season, while still providing excellent defensive #'s. He is a better player than Mangiapane, Backlund, Dube, than a Bennett was, etc. He plays in the mold of Coach Sutter style and so does Lowry without the offense. Poolman could be the new decent 3rd pairing D with signing him, on the chesp. Flames already have his younger bro Colton signed.
Change Pelletier to: Mathias Emilio-Pettersen or Adam Ruzicka or Glenn Gawdin, then.
No? Maybe? Move on...
The fact that you said Copp is better than Mangiapane or Backlund shows that you actually no nothing.
Mangiapane is statistically a top end player in the league
E3OWDnXWYAI0mYS

No knock at Copp, he's a solid middle 6 player but he is nothing crazy special. Lowery is a great 3rd line center, Calgary already has a better version in Backlund though, Monahan is a top 6 center and Sutter says he's very good despite not getting a lot of points (due to his injury). Pelletier is a top 50 prospect in the league currently. You would definitely have to change him to someone else

Reactions: Flamesgod

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
No? Maybe? Move on...
If Lowry and Copp are so much better... you keep them. No reason at all for you to trade down even though you'd like to do the Flames a favor and take Mony off our hands. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing you gave up so much to get so little to help out the Flames.

Reactions: Flamesgod

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Devils could use his goal scoring for sure. However could/ would he slide over to play wing? We have Hughes and Nico at C but I would love Monahans finishing ability to play beside Jack. Devils PP was pathetic and 5on5 play was very good but lacked a true sniper or someone who can finish and I think Monahan would be a very welcome addition .
What if anything off the Devils could work ?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It's going to be a risk trade for whoever does it. He might have injury issues and he was never really known for his defensive or physical play.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No? Maybe? Move on...
Lowry has never hit 30 points. Derek Ryan is a better version of Lowry, and the Flames can sign him for free.

Copp had a decent regular season, but fell apart in the playoffs. The last thing the Flames need.

You keep your players.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Lowry has never hit 30 points. Derek Ryan is a better version of Lowry, and the Flames can sign him for free.

Copp had a decent regular season, but fell apart in the playoffs. The last thing the Flames need.

You keep your players.

I’m not saying the deal was fair but Lowry is far far better than Derek Ryan.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad