GDT: Flames @ Jets 7pm

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Really happy with Doc so far.
He looked great in China too. I'm really happy with this signing.

When Ryan has time and space, he can make plays. Where he struggles is when that time and space disappears. He's not fast enough or strong enough or skilled enough to create space on his own. Still, he's a smart player that does a lot of little things right and can be effective in that role.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Janko has been fine. I think his spot is safe. If not, he wouldn't be getting played with plugs on the fourth line every game.

He had some good neutral zone turnovers this game and just didn't have anyone to play with.

He's just been lacklustre, which is fine with preseason. Don't think he'll lose his job, but I do think he'll be on the 4th line looking in.

Interested to see who they send tomorrow to SJ.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd be shocked if we don't see a ton more of Tkachuk in OT this season. I think he was undoubtedly our most dangerous player 3 on 3 whenever he was on the ice in OT last season.
Maybe he plays more, but he has not been more dangerous than Gaudreau who is arguably the best 3 on 3 player in the NHL

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
When Ryan has time and space, he can make plays. Where he struggles is when that time and space disappears. He's not fast enough or strong enough or skilled enough to create space on his own. Still, he's a smart player that does a lot of little things right and can be effective in that role.

Really think he'll be an effective player for us.
Good little third liner. As a lot of us were saying when we were rumoured to be signing him... he'll be better than anything we had on the bottom 6 from last year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's just been lacklustre, which is fine with preseason. Don't think he'll lose his job, but I do think he'll be on the 4th line looking in.

Interested to see who they send tomorrow to SJ.
I thought Ryan Jankowski looked good for a 44 year old scout who clearly only got the chance because he was a scout for Spokane

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I thought Ryan Jankowski looked good for a 44 year old scout who clearly only got the chance because he was a scout for Spokane
Everyone knows you caught the PBP guy saying his name wrong. Joke's old now. Nobody made a big deal about it on the 3rd page, nobody's going to make a big deal about it on the 6th.

As for the game, Hanifin has looked absolutely amazing all preseason. I'm excited to watch him develop further. Dube continues to impress and Mangi also shows he's more and more an NHLer each game.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Buddy has stood out in a good way for Calgary. That guy's going to be a stud in the AHL for us, help us win a few games.

I'm fine with cutting Lomberg/Quine as early as tomorrow. Hell, even Klimmer, no room for him either. I'm hoping for the cuts, then we can start messing around to find some chemistry with the lineup.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
As for the game, Hanifin has looked absolutely amazing all preseason. I'm excited to watch him develop further. Dube continues to impress and Mangi also shows he's more and more an NHLer each game.

Hanifin has looked like... I dunno, nothing anyone has told us.
We were told he was going to be a sucky D, soft as butter, all Zone start player. Instead we've been given a dude who looks like an absolute stud.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In fairness, Beyak wasn't just "caught saying the wrong name." He literally said "Ryan Jankowski" every single time all game long. That's extremely frustrating and pretty unprofessional. One time is fine. That's an honest mistake. Two times, and you expect the colour guy to make light of it, and let that be the end of it. So either his crew wasn't bothering to correct him or he just didn't care about getting the name right.

The stupid thing is he didn't even need to say a first name. There is exactly one Jankowski in the NHL.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We were told he was going to be a sucky D, soft as butter, all Zone start player. Instead we've been given a dude who looks like an absolute stud.

I know people might hate this but he kinda reminds me of J-Bo

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

He’s not been soft as butter. He did struggle defensively and was very sheltered though, there’s no denying that. The first few months of last season, it looked like he was putting it all together and was becoming the guy everyone thought he’d be, but then he struggled after that. Still, he’s a young guy that hasn’t fully developed and is an incredible skater with good size. Most of us thought he’d still develop into a very good NHL defensemen. IMO, it’s never been about his skill, it’s been his decision making. Some guys take longer for that part of the game to catch up with their skill.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Short and long of it after being at the game last night:

- Super positives were Gio, Lomberg
- Good but not greats were Mangiapane, Dube, Robinson

Rest I was either quite whelmed or disappointed in. I know it's preseason, but Brodie isn't doing much to convince me that Brodano is gonna be as good as we need it.

Really didn't like Quine last night. He got a lot of ice time and it felt like the play died on his stick too often and some really bad decisions passing wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad