GDT: Flames @ Islanders (5pm on Sportsnet)

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Unpopular opinion but I’d deal Stone this summer and I’d play Andersson with Gio next year (same kind of Mete/Weber, Chara/Mcavoy mentorship deal). Then Brodie/Hamilton and Kulak/Hamonic. Third pairing becomes much less of a liability and you can spread icetime out more evenly

I honestly think even Kulak/Andersson would be fine. If we could turn Brodie into a scoring winger so we could run Valimaki-Hamonic on the second pair that'd be icing on the cake, but getting Stone out and Andersson in the NHL should be a priority.

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Because he sucks. He plays the Bartkowski school of defence where you don't actually defend, you just play physical and hope the other player gets taken down to goes away. He isn't as bad as Bartkowski obviously, no one is, but he is massively overrated by some Flames fans.

Really hope we trade him in the offseason and just graduate Andersson already. Yeah sure depth is good, but I guarantee Andersson in a full season would be better than Stone.
I cringed when I saw people arguing in the Leivo trade thread that he'd be the leafs #3. If Stone is your #3 D man you're an AHL team.

Reactions: Cyrano

Reijo29

Feb 8, 2015
As someone who always wants to see the Islanders lose, every time they play an opponent I don’t see a lot of, I read the fan base comments before the game, get all confident, then the game starts and I’m disappointed.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I also think Valimaki will be on the team next season along with Andersson.

Is he eligible to play in the AHL next year or too old? I’d like him to spend a year in the AHL but if he has to go back to junior next year that would be a huge waste

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
They're playing like a team full of passengers. Johnny excluded. Why is the smallest guy on our team our only impact player? It's kind of pathetic.

Because our 6.3 and 6.4 centers are playing like they are 5.4

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
There's no the way Flames put a rookie defenceman in the top four, even in a scenario where the talent is spread out. I really can't see Valimaki making the team next season; Treliving likes depth, 'over-cooking' prospects and the process. He'll spend the year in the AHL and if he impresses, get the primary call ups.

That was a calculated decision by Lomberg but boy, is he not good at math.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I cringed when I saw people arguing in the Leivo trade thread that he'd be the leafs #3. If Stone is your #3 D man you're an AHL team.

I would do Stone for Leivo in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Lomberg got fed but the guy is fearless who the f*** challenges someone half a foot taller than them.

Correction apparently the guy is 8 inches taller than him and 50 lbs heavier.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
There's no the way Flames put a rookie defenceman in the top four, even in a scenario where the talent is spread out. I really can't see Valimaki making the team next season; Treliving likes depth, 'over-cooking' prospects and the process. He'll spend the year in the AHL and if he impresses, get the primary call ups.

That was a calculated decision by Lomberg but boy, is he not good at math.

You're right in that he will probably spend the year in Stockton but I think he's more than ready. We haven't had a D prospect as good as Valimaki since Phaneuf, full stop

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Lomberg got fed but the guy is fearless who the **** challenges someone half a foot taller than them.

Correction apparently the guy is 8 inches taller than him and 50 lbs heavier.

Ryan Lomberg 5 foot 9, 191 lbs
Ross Johnston 6 foot 5, 236 lbs

Ryan Lomberg has guts man.

Didn't realise it was that much of a mismatch, I take back what I said.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
Thanks Lomberg, what this team really needed was to watch a Flame get pummeled into the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad