GDT: Flames @ Islanders (5pm on Sportsnet)

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Matthew Tkachuk had amazing numbers throughout his draft and draft-1 seasons but always played with great players.

Brady has one less point than Shane Bowers (who is only two months older and just went in the late first round). I liked him at the WJC but his numbers are really ordinary.

Yeah his USDP numbers were quite a bit worse than Matt’s but he’s doing very well for a true freshman in Hockey East. I think he’ll be a similar player to Matt and seeing his brother succeed will only push him to be better. Same for Matt, they’ll both want to outplay the other and ultimately I think it will drive them both higher as players

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Matthew Tkachuk had amazing numbers throughout his draft and draft-1 seasons but always played with great players.

Brady has one less point than Shane Bowers (who is only two months older and just went in the late first round). I liked him at the WJC but his numbers are really ordinary.
A PPG in the USHL in your draft - 1 year is actually really impressive. The USHL is a lot harder to score in then the CHL. Plus Matt played with really good players in his juniour career (Matthews, Marner)

I think Brady will be a star.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Isn't Tkachuk about as old as you can get for his draft year?

So saying draft -1 is a little deceiving since he is basically 18 the whole year while most other guys are 17.

Who knows as most of these guys are wildcards but reading everything about him, looking at his stats and watching him in the WJHC I just don't see anything at all that points to him being a star.

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
A PPG in the USHL in your draft - 1 year is actually really impressive. The USHL is a lot harder to score in then the CHL. Plus Matt played with really good players in his juniour career (Matthews, Marner)

Definitely I addressed the difference in linemates but the production gap is huge. I don't think Brady's bad but I don't think he is top 5 currently.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017

Matt played USHL in his d-1 year too and was at 1.5PPG. So in that sense yeah he was a lot better d-1. The only thing you can’t compare are the draft years because Matt was CHL and Brady is D1

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah but Matt played with the best player ever to come out of USA. How did Jeremy Bracco do with Matthews?

Brady is a hell of a player. He will prove doubters wrong, just like Matt did.

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Isn't Tkachuk about as old as you can get for his draft year?

So saying draft -1 is a little deceiving since he is basically 18 the whole year while most other guys are 17.

Who knows as most of these guys are wildcards but reading everything about him, looking at his stats and watching him in the WJHC I just don't see anything at all that points to him being a star.

I don't know how you could possibly watch what he did at the WJC and say you don't see him as anything but a lock to be a future top six forward.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't know how you could possibly watch what he did at the WJC and say you don't see him as anything but a lock to be a future top six forward.

I think it has to do with a. me thinking his was fine not great and b. seeing guys do similar or better things and not turning out. I just don't see the pure offensive skill with him. I don't think he will put up big offensive numbers in the NHL.

I think he could be a top 6 guy but I think it is far from a sure thing that he will be a star and certainly don't see a top 5 pick when I watched him at the WJHC.

If the Flames had top 5 pick and took him I would be disappointed. If we took him ahead of Svechnikov or Zadina I would want the GM and head scout fired.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
I think it has to do with a. me thinking his was fine not great and b. seeing guys do similar or better things and not turning out. I just don't see the pure offensive skill with him. I don't think he will put up big offensive numbers in the NHL.

I think he could be a top 6 guy but I think it is far from a sure thing that he will be a star and certainly don't see a top 5 pick when I watched him at the WJHC.

If the Flames had top 5 pick and took him I would be disappointed. If we took him ahead of Svechnikov or Zadina I would want the GM and head scout fired.

I think svechnikov is the consensus #2 but it’s up for debate between Zadina and Brady. They are different players, one has more skill while the other brings more grit. I don’t think it’s a fireable offense to take one over the other. If the team drafting in the 3 spot needs a D than Bovquist is also a good option. After Dahlin 2-6 is very close imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->