Confirmed with Link: Flames Fire Jay Feaster and John Weisbrod

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
Calgary is my second favourite team. I'm glad Burke is in charge because I almost disagreed with every move Feaster made.

In regards to Burke, I agreed with almost every move that he made. The only one I disagreed with was the Kessel trade, and we didn't exactly get killed in that one. Plus if that pick was anybody other than Tyler Seguin, Toronto walks away slapping its knees.

You're going to like the way he operates, but he does seem incredibly egotistical and likes the spotlight. He doesn't really lie though. If he says he's interim, I expect him to hire a GM.

JulianHopper*

Flames GM Follies

I remember when the Flames introduced Jay Feaster as an assistant to GM Darryl Sutter at the time.

They specifically said that Jay wasn't being brought in to replace Darryl and look at what happened.

Flames should have done a new search when Darryl was fired.

All it did was set the franchise back 3 more years.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I remember when the Flames introduced Jay Feaster as an assistant to GM Darryl Sutter at the time.

They specifically said that Jay wasn't being brought in to replace Darryl and look at what happened.

Hardly. Sutter left an absolute shambles in his wake when he left, and given ownership's interest in repeatedly trying to make a run at the playoffs at that time, whoever came in was going to have to go through those years.

JulianHopper*

Hardly. Sutter left an absolute shambles in his wake when he left, and given ownership's interest in repeatedly trying to make a run at the playoffs at that time, whoever came in was going to have to go through those years.

Now that it's been confirmed by the current GM Burke that the Flames didn't get good returns on Regehr, Iginla and Bouwmeester, as well as the hastened retirement of Kiprusoff, Feaster made the team worse after Darryl.

Miikka would probably still be playing if the returns from those trades had brought back better players.

Thankfully Feaster never had the chance to hand out long term deals that would have made the Flames a bottom team for years to come.

Now there can be a quick turn around with lots of cap space and free agents as well as top draft picks this year.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Now that it's been confirmed by the current GM Burke that the Flames didn't get good returns on Regehr, Iginla and Bouwmeester, as well as the hastened retirement of Kiprusoff, Feaster made the team worse after Darryl.

Miikka would probably still be playing if the returns from those trades had brought back better players.

Thankfully Feaster never had the chance to hand out long term deals that would have made the Flames a bottom team for years to come.

Now there can be a quick turn around with lots of cap space and free agents as well as top draft picks this year.

That seems highly doubtful. Feaster had his fair share of mistakes but lets not blindly act like any other GM would have been better (because that is what you are saying). Its hard to deny that our drafting has gotten better under Feaster as well has our scouting especially NCAA(JG, Gillies,Knight,Hanowski,Jooris) and NHL/AHL (for pro players) (Wideman, Hudler,B.Jones,Smith,Billins). You talk like Feaster was a terrible GM and then turn around and say we have tons of cap space as well as good pick this year which can only help going forward and yet no credit to Feaster when he took over the team we were at the cap if not over and had only several good prospects. Feaster certainly wasn't the greatest GM ever but he did all the dirty work and was used a scape goat its sad to fans not give him recignition for the things he did well here.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

And Burke did say unto his disciples "yea on this day I do declare to thee that the return on the trades of these former players was deplorable." And it was so. :laugh:

Even if we were to all agree on that point, then the question is how in the heck does this represent setting the franchise back three years?!

And I checked with my lawyers, and no, you can't use your imaginary scenario of Kiprusoff extending his career hypothetically as proof of anything.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
It wouldn't surprise me if the organization talked to Burke earlier. It would be increadable hard for any GM to survive moving the face of the franchise, top defender and long time, fan favorite starting goalie. Given their age, cap hits and in some cases performance, we all knew the returns weren't gonna be great. To walk into that spot wouldn't be very appealing to many people and even harder to recover from. I think it's highly possible that Burke sat back and waited for Feaster to clean house, knowing full well that even if he made trades the return still would not be much of a difference maker. This way you come in with a clean slate, as opposed to under the microscope.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
It wouldn't surprise me if the organization talked to Burke earlier. It would be increadable hard for any GM to survive moving the face of the franchise, top defender and long time, fan favorite starting goalie. Given their age, cap hits and in some cases performance, we all knew the returns weren't gonna be great. To walk into that spot wouldn't be very appealing to many people and even harder to recover from. I think it's highly possible that Burke sat back and waited for Feaster to clean house, knowing full well that even if he made trades the return still would not be much of a difference maker. This way you come in with a clean slate, as opposed to under the microscope.

Burke was never going to be hired as a GM so it really wouldn't have matter either way.

TylerSVT*

Burke picking a new GM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> King hiring a new GM.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think Burke will be deciding what direction the ship will be sailing, but I don't think he'll be specifically constructing or negotiating trades or anything like that. For instance, I could see him saying "you need to move X for someone more truculent" or maybe even "I want you to get X in trade this month, let me know what the asking price is and we can discuss whether to proceed." I can also see the GM going to Burke and saying "X was calling about Y and I think they're offering good value here, should we make the trade?" I think that at the end of the day, it will be Burke's idea of a team, but I think that the personnel will still be very much the responsibility of the GM.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd think of it as Burke guiding the ship.
like this?

26e1b984-4f77-4ab4-870c-d3a7c3a1fb0b_lighthouse.jpg

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
More like:

eye-of-sauron.gif

You know, because we are the Flames (of the fires of Mount Doom).

more like:

I-Have-a-big-head-and-little-arms.gif

I'm just glad Newy didn't accept an interview; I think that would have been a very bad move on Burke's part. I hope Burke snags Poulin or Futa!

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm surprised Jay Feaster hasn't conducted any radio interviews or anything. Not a peep since being fired.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I'm surprised Jay Feaster hasn't conducted any radio interviews or anything. Not a peep since being fired.

Maybe he is spending time with family. Did you know I'm in the same area where he used to live in (and was born in)? Maybe I will stalk him and ask. i kid i kid

funny, I'm only like 10 minutes away where he went to college at

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Still under contract. I'm sure he's hoping to find another job in the NHL eventually so burning any bridges would be a very idea. If he can't find something however, he may pull a Keenan down the road. Doesn't really seem like him though; can't recall him bad-mouthing the Lightening even though they were a disaster under Barrie & Koules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad