Confirmed with Link: Flames Fire Jay Feaster and John Weisbrod

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
But of course it means nothing when a player hits the pro's, especially if they were expected to be a late bloomer. Seems like it would be more worthwhile to compare players at the same developmental stage rather than the same age. Kadri didn't really make the NHL (excepting an emergency call-up from juniors) until he was 20, and didn't establish himself until last year. That gives Janko what, two years to catch up age-wise?

Well I'm saying that if we didn't go for Jank who right off the bat we know would be a project, we could have had a player with an almost immediate impact in Hertl and Maata (you could make the arguement for Wilson and Laughton)

I understand he was the youngest kid in the draft and if he develops as an NHL center behind Monahan I would be ecstatic, but this draft pick is a good example of how we could have turned a pick into an almost immediate NHL player but instead we're going to wait likely another 2-3 years before we find out what we truly have in Jankowski.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
Well I'm saying that if we didn't go for Jank who right off the bat we know would be a project, we could have had a player with an almost immediate impact in Hertl and Maata (you could make the arguement for Wilson and Laughton)

I understand he was the youngest kid in the draft and if he develops as an NHL center behind Monahan I would be ecstatic, but this draft pick is a good example of how we could have turned a pick into an almost immediate NHL player but instead we're going to wait likely another 2-3 years before we find out what we truly have in Jankowski.
This exactly. I'm probably in the minority in that I think Janko was a decent pick, and will be an NHL'er one day. My only problem with the pick was the timing of it. Even the most optimistic of Calgary fans knew at that point that we really needed some help to come up through the system. The sooner the better. We just weren't in a position to take high-risk picks at that time.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This exactly. I'm probably in the minority in that I think Janko was a decent pick, and will be an NHL'er one day. My only problem with the pick was the timing of it. Even the most optimistic of Calgary fans knew at that point that we really needed some help to come up through the system. The sooner the better. We just weren't in a position to take high-risk picks at that time.

I'm not so sure that's true. I guess that a project pick makes more sense on a competitive club, but if you think about when our franchise is going to be getting competitive, Janko does kind of arrive at a good time, when a lot of other top young guys will also be arriving.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He also said he was only going to play a background role to Feaster and Weisbrod. Cool story, Burke.

Actually, he's so far done exactly what he's said he was going to do. He said he was going to conduct a top-to-bottom analysis and he did. He said he was going to institute this three-position management structure, and that appears to still be the plan going forward. There is nothing to indicate that Burke has strayed from his initial plan.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Which he did. He is the Director of Hockey Operations. Things weren't going well and he was unimpressed with the two of them and decided there needed to be a change.

I'm not sure it was "things not going well" which prompted the change, to be honest. I think more than anything it was that they reviewed Feaster's track record and didn't think that the kind of decisions he made, and whether Burke is right or wrong is not clear cut, would be the best decisions for the Flames going forward.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Can't wait to hear from Feaster about this? Wasn't someone saying that former colleagues of Feaster were commenting on his management on twitter?

I'd like to read that stuff too.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I'm not sure it was "things not going well" which prompted the change, to be honest. I think more than anything it was that they reviewed Feaster's track record and didn't think that the kind of decisions he made, and whether Burke is right or wrong is not clear cut, would be the best decisions for the Flames going forward.

Forgot to mention of couple of stuff. Your post before mine was dead on. I also didn't word mine right. :laugh:

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Actually, he's so far done exactly what he's said he was going to do. He said he was going to conduct a top-to-bottom analysis and he did. He said he was going to institute this three-position management structure, and that appears to still be the plan going forward. There is nothing to indicate that Burke has strayed from his initial plan.

Which he did. He is the Director of Hockey Operations. Things weren't going well and he was unimpressed with the two of them and decided there needed to be a change.

I guess I'm just getting a weirder feeling than you guys are about this whole thing. I personally just think Burke's ego is too big and he is trying to devour management and take it over for himself. I am guessing there were some decisions that Burke wanted to make that Feaster stalled on, but Burke wanted his way - probably regarding prospect development and going after UFAs. This is all conjecture, obviously, but it's just the vibe I've gotten from the whole thing, based on how abrupt this decision was and the timing and everything.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I guess I'm just getting a weirder feeling than you guys are about this whole thing. I personally just think Burke's ego is too big and he is trying to devour management and take it over for himself. I am guessing there were some decisions that Burke wanted to make that Feaster stalled on, but Burke wanted his way - probably regarding prospect development and going after UFAs. This is all conjecture, obviously, but it's just the vibe I've gotten from the whole thing, based on how abrupt this decision was and the timing and everything.

To be fair, Burke was Feasters boss, if they disagreed in certain areas, Burke has final say. If Feaster still disagreed, to the point of ruining a prospect like Baertschi's (for example) development, then it's time to make a change. Burke is good at a great many things, and prospect development is one of those things. I want no one else to be in charge of our team in this period of prospect growth, because we can't afford to let any of our prospects become anything less than their ceiling.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Yeah is ego is probably pretty big. I think most people lack humility however.

It might surprise you to know that Burke admitted to screwing up some things in Toronto, such as the Komisarek signing. He said it on the sportsnet radio interview.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rebuilding-the-flames-wont-be-fast-for-burke/

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net

anchorman-teamjump.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
I didn't want Nieuwendyk here, but the much of the flack he gets is unjustified.

Also did you read the article? It sounds like Turco is clueless to me. The Flames asked for permission to speak to Nieuwendyk, but then they never called him?? Yeah, that makes sense.

Plus they refer to Nieuwendyk as a winger, solid reporting sportsnet!

Also, it says he was let go, so why would we need permission to speak to him? do other need permission to speak with Jay or John?

I would not be celebrating just yet, it sounds like n oone not even Turco has spoken to Joe about the position as of yet

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Also, it says he was let go, so why would we need permission to speak to him? do other need permission to speak with Jay or John?

I would not be celebrating just yet, it sounds like n oone not even Turco has spoken to Joe about the position as of yet

Yes, because they're still under contract even though they've been terminated.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

We need permission, coaches/management have guaranteed contracts, so even when fired they are not really fired, they are relieved of their duties. So since that contract is guaranteed speaking with them without permission is considered tampering.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I guess the big question now is who out there is the caliber of Kessel that Bruke might target?
Kane?
Suban?
Franson?
Gardiner?
one of the young guns from COL or dare I say it EDM?

I am not sure one Exists tbh

Important to remember that the Bruins were also in a cap crunch at the time of the Kessel trade and couldn't fit a new deal for Kessel, which was why they were low-balling him with offers. With the cap going up next year and, with the Rogers deal, in 15/16 as well, there aren't many teams that are really feeling the squeeze now/yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad