Confirmed with Link: Flames fire Geoff Ward, Hire Darryl Sutter as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I get that players need to earn their minutes, but it just never made sense to me. You ask a really talented player to get stronger and work on their D game, they go out and do that and what do you do, you keep them on the pine?

Kylington has essentially done everything this team has asked, I’m purely speculating here but I think the coaches think he’s arrogant and don’t like his attitude. It doesn’t make sense to me that a player as talented as he is, why do you not give him a chance to grow his game? Oliver might be a little different, but it’s not E Kane we’re talking about here. I hope Sutter gives him a good chance, we totally need a dman like him on our backend.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I get that players need to earn their minutes, but it just never made sense to me. You ask a really talented player to get stronger and work on their D game, they go out and do that and what do you do, you keep them on the pine?

Kylington has essentially done everything this team has asked, I’m purely speculating here but I think the coaches think he’s arrogant and don’t like his attitude. It doesn’t make sense to me that a player as talented as he is, why do you not give him a chance to grow his game? Oliver might be a little different, but it’s not E Kane we’re talking about here. I hope Sutter gives him a good chance, we totally need a dman like him on our backend.

It's not that complicated.

Ryan Huska has had a lot of input on the Dmen the last few years.
Ryan Huska has myopia with respect to Kylington. He's coached the guy since he was an 18 year old playing pro hockey, and is so fixated on those old issues that every time Kylington makes every sort of mistake, he thinks Kylington is just that same player he was six (!) years ago.

He's unable to be objective with the player.

Instead of seeing him for his positives, he sees him for past negatives.

As the old saying goes, he's "too close" to the situation.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I kinda had a feeling this was happening. I think Sutter'll squeeze him out of his position this summer
Treliving might be gone but it won't be Sutter replacing him. He's already stated that he has no interest in being a GM again. And really the line up hasn't changed, so is there an agenda or did Tre possibly reach out to Sutter more than they're letting on.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Treliving might be gone but it won't be Sutter replacing him. He's already stated that he has no interest in being a GM again. And really the line up hasn't changed, so is there an agenda or did Tre possibly reach out to Sutter more than they're letting on.
He'll probably be interim until they find a permanent replacement. Treliving is nearing the end of his time here imo.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

if true....that's a BIG YIKES from me dawg

Words cannot describe how gobsmacked I am.

8G6LTB3.gif

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Strange that it would be Kypreos and McLean making these allegations. You would think that Francis would've loved to break that scoop if he could.
Would Francis really make the management of the flames look bad? If it was something about Gaudreau he would buy a billboard but Francis seems to only want to make ownership/management look good.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
He'll probably be interim until they find a permanent replacement. Treliving is nearing the end of his time here imo.
I doubt it, that'll be Conroy, if it happens. As long as they make the playoffs he'll be fine. It's looking more and more like Ward was just a prolonged interm coach. Sutter is basically Flames royalty and I wouldn't be surprised if ownership back the extended pursuit of him, from the beginning.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Not really, it happens quite a bit. Especially if a GM is trying to showcase a player or a player has p*ssed them off.

As a GM you made your interm coach a head coach after the coach you bet your job on had a terrible PR incident. You didn't bring in a proven coach like Sutter, Gallant, BB and within 30 games into the season that you thought your team would be a contender in, you are not only not in a playoff spot but your helping him make lineups. Yea that's egg on face embarrassing. Thank God ownership let him hire another coach.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
As a GM you made your interm coach a head coach after the coach you bet your job on had a terrible PR incident. You didn't bring in a proven coach like Sutter, Gallant, BB and within 30 games into the season that you thought your team would be a contender in, you are not only not in a playoff spot but your helping him make lineups. Yea that's egg on face embarrassing. Thank God ownership let him hire another coach.
Well quite obviously he didn't stake his job on Peters, who in case you forgot, coached the team to their best record in over a decade, because he's still here. Treliving and Sutter both admitted this is not the first time they've talked about becoming becoming coach of the Flames and again you're assuming reputable coaches are lining up to come to an organization, that is not only notoriously cheap with coaches, but also has a group of core players that has quit on 3 consecutive peers. Keep in mind that Sutter wasn't completely unscathed during the "me too" coaching witch hunts. The fact that the Ward signing was more or less as cheap as you can get, for a team looking to compete never made sense. Conversations were had with Sutter. I would not be surprised if the Peters thing was a contributing factor as to why it didn't work out originally.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

if true....that's a BIG YIKES from me dawg

I mean it wouldnt exactly shock me with some of the comments from Bennett and Ward. Treliving scratching Bennett, Bennett stating he wasnt sure what was going on and Ward stating the relationship/communication between him and Bennett was good. That crap definitely wouldnt fly with Darryl.

It's almost like leadership starts at the top and coaching actually plays a role in the performance of teams.

To a certain extent I agree. But I think the primary thing is respect. If the players respect the coach, the work ethic and pace will be there. Im not sure if it was there all the time with nice guy Ward. With Sutter players either respect him out right, due to his history and reputation, or fear him due to his reputation. Either way they are going to crank up the work ethic and pace.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly I can’t really see Treliving doing that, I think that’s pure speculation. We’ve heard over and over Tre say that the coaches coach and he does the GM’ing. I have no doubts Ward consulted Tre on the lineups, but I really don’t believe Ward was that incompetent and needed to be micromanaged to that level.

Reactions: Mazatt

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Honestly I can’t really see Treliving doing that, I think that’s pure speculation. We’ve heard over and over Tre say that the coaches coach and he does the GM’ing. I have no doubts Ward consulted Tre on the lineups, but I really don’t believe Ward was that incompetent and needed to be micromanaged to that level.
It really depends on the context. With limit exposure to the players and locker rooms the media is scrambling to stay relevant. More often than not attempting to turn nothing into something. I assuming this stems from the Bennett trade request and whether or not he'd be available to Ward. Possibly even where he played in the line up, in an attempt to showcase. It would explain some of Ward's comments regarding whether or not Bennett would play, during game day interviews.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Well quite obviously he didn't stake his job on Peters, who in case you forgot, coached the team to their best record in over a decade, because he's still here. Treliving and Sutter both admitted this is not the first time they've talked about becoming becoming coach of the Flames and again you're assuming reputable coaches are lining up to come to an organization, that is not only notoriously cheap with coaches, but also has a group of core players that has quit on 3 consecutive peers. Keep in mind that Sutter wasn't completely unscathed during the "me too" coaching witch hunts. The fact that the Ward signing was more or less as cheap as you can get, for a team looking to compete never made sense. Conversations were had with Sutter. I would not be surprised if the Peters thing was a contributing factor as to why it didn't work out originally.

Treliving said when he hired Peters if he had to fire another coach he would be most likely going with them. He clearly knew he had to get it right, he got bailed out due the Flames briefly responding to ending the off ice drama when Peters finally left. There is a very good chance without the pandemic that Treliving isn't the GM right now if they couldn't make some noise in the playoffs in a normal year.

None of that matters, because again if Treliving felt like he had to be that involved with his 3rd coach in what 4 years yes it is embarrassing.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If this team continues to play like this for another 10 games, does Tre come off the hot seat for some of you guys?

I've been critical of the team formula, but I never accounted for the effect of coaching. When I looked at this roster, this is what I saw in terms of play style and pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad