Confirmed with Link: Flames fire Geoff Ward, Hire Darryl Sutter as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
tenor.gif
Lol, that scene crossed my mind when I read about the Sutter bag skate, good work

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think its interesting that Sutter is running basically an identical line up to Ward. Hopefully we see the difference that an experienced coach can make.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think its interesting that Sutter is running basically an identical line up to Ward. Hopefully we see the difference that an experienced coach can make.

He explained his reasoning for this to Eric Francis. He basically said that going nuts tweaking things isn't beneficial because it's mid season and we need to get back into the race ASAP.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
He explained his reasoning for this to Eric Francis. He basically said that going nuts tweaking things isn't beneficial because it's mid season and we need to get back into the race ASAP.
Thats what I kind of figured. Basically you guys dough the hole, now you have to work your way out of it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Thats what I kind of figured. Basically you guys dough the hole, now you have to work your way out of it.

I think he's also wanting the players to fix small things first. Rather than give them a laundry list of things to work on and change a dozen things in one go like Ward kept doing, he's going to get them to do a few things a week and incrementally tweak small things after every week.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think he's also wanting the players to fix small things first. Rather than give them a laundry list of things to work on and change a dozen things in one go like Ward kept doing, he's going to get them to do a few things a week and incrementally tweak small things after every week.
Makes sense, Sutter teams usually play a pretty simple brand of hockey. It all comes down to whether he can get them to work consistently. If he can't, none of the rest of it matters anyway.

Reactions: Fig

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I heard a former King’s player talk, can’t remember his name but when Sutter went to LA, he told everyone he isn’t going to reinvent the wheel and wanted to keep things simple at first. As Sutter goes on, we will likely see more and more tweaks changes and some players will be moved.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
“You are what you do, not what you say. And make sure your first shift of the game is a banger.”
@MattTkachuk

"I had a lot of other coaches who would let the top-six forwards do what they wanted and when things went poorly, the bottom guys were the ones who got the brunt of their frustration.”

Boy after Hartley, the Flames never even got this far. It was always 2 or 3 guys that got disicplined when things went wrong

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
It's almost like what we (I believe) talked about when Ward was giving the Flames brand new defensive zone assignments and ALSO giving them new players to learn in the offensive zone, which slogged everything down. It would've been so much easier to task them with one complicated task, like defensive coverage and chemistry, without adding on the fact that they don't know where everyone will be offensively. Glad to see stuff like that affirmed by Sutter

Reactions: Fig

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

The real difference we are going to see is in game, where instead of the lineup smoothy we are so used to, we are going to see lineup.. I dunno, celery. I didn't think this analogy through.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I was thinking about Sutter's comments yesterday about having a short practice. Something to the effect of that he wants to get their heart rates up, then calm down, then get them up again. He felt there was more value to that than standing along the boards talking systems.

Seems to me that the last time the Flames took the league by storm (relatively speaking), Bob Hartley bag skated the team more often that not to use the same principle.

It will be interesting to see how the Flames respond tomorrow.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I was thinking about Sutter's comments yesterday about having a short practice. Something to the effect of that he wants to get their heart rates up, then calm down, then get them up again. He felt there was more value to that than standing along the boards talking systems.

Seems to me that the last time the Flames took the league by storm (relatively speaking), Bob Hartley bag skated the team more often that not to use the same principle.

It will be interesting to see how the Flames respond tomorrow.
Its pretty tough to do when you play every other night. Hopefully squeezing in a bag skate here and there leaves a lasting impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad