Confirmed with Link: Flames fire Geoff Ward, Hire Darryl Sutter as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If this team continues to play like this for another 10 games, does Tre come off the hot seat for some of you guys?

I've been critical of the team formula, but I never accounted for the effect of coaching. When I looked at this roster, this is what I saw in terms of play style and pace.

For me not really, there are aspects of being a GM that he is good at but until this team is able to make a real run in the playoffs nothing that happens in the regular season will make the difference for me.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Treliving said when he hired Peters if he had to fire another coach he would be most likely going with them. He clearly knew he had to get it right, he got bailed out due the Flames briefly responding to ending the off ice drama when Peters finally left. There is a very good chance without the pandemic that Treliving isn't the GM right now if they couldn't make some noise in the playoffs in a normal year.

None of that matters, because again if Treliving felt like he had to be that involved with his 3rd coach in what 4 years yes it is embarrassing.
Thats your opinion but locking up a high priced goalie, longterm, signinging Tanev and walking away from Brodie aren't exactly the moves of a GM under heavy scrutiny or on his way out. Hartley was inherited and doesn't reflect on Tre. Gulutzan was obviously a mistake but I don't think Peters really reflects poorly upon him. Pretty solid arguments could be made for being our most successful coach since Sutter. It was probably viewed more as a tragic situation, opposed to a negative choice by Tre. Ward never made sense and I wouldn't surprise if Sutter wasn't always Tre's choice, from the beginning but it was shut down by the organization because of the potential PR nightmare of hiring Sutter on the heels of the Peters fiasco. Also I don't believe Tre was puppeting Ward. Seems like media BS, stemming from the Bennett trade request. Did Tre have input, 100%, but it was probably mostly on Bennett's availability and possibly where he played in the line up, when showcasing. All of which is pretty normal.

Reactions: Nanuuk

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
If this team continues to play like this for another 10 games, does Tre come off the hot seat for some of you guys?

I've been critical of the team formula, but I never accounted for the effect of coaching. When I looked at this roster, this is what I saw in terms of play style and pace.
Yes. I’ve said all season that this team should be good enough to compete and get into playoffs, but Ward was a problem.

Now, 2 games under Sutter doesn’t prove me right, but a streak of 12 games playing like the last couple would be a good start.

Biggest thing would be, what does he do in the case that Sutter was the missing ingredient? He needs a top 6 RW for Gaudreau and Monahan.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Thats your opinion but locking up a high priced goalie, longterm, signinging Tanev and walking away from Brodie aren't exactly the moves of a GM under heavy scrutiny or on his way out. Hartley was inherited and doesn't reflect on Tre. Gulutzan was obviously a mistake but I don't think Peters really reflects poorly upon him. Pretty solid arguments could be made for being our most successful coach since Sutter. It was probably viewed more as a tragic situation, opposed to a negative choice by Tre. Ward never made sense and I wouldn't surprise if Sutter wasn't always Tre's choice, from the beginning but it was shut down by the organization because of the potential PR nightmare of hiring Sutter on the heels of the Peters fiasco. Also I don't believe Tre was puppeting Ward. Seems like media BS, stemming from the Bennett trade request. Did Tre have input, 100%, but it was probably mostly on Bennett's availability and possibly where he played in the line up, when showcasing. All of which is pretty normal.
You don't believe the rumour that's fine but like I said if it's true it's embarrassing.

turnagainoutlaw

Apr 1, 2013
Yukon
I like Treliving, I think he's learned his lesson on Free Agency which has been my only complaint with him. I like his drafting and trades and his contract negotiating is elite. With Sutter as coach he won't be going anywhere. This will be a top 5 team for the next couple years.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Team needs a fresh set of eyes from above. I wouldn't fire Treliving for any old yahoo - just like how firing Ward for Huska would've been so pointless - but if you can get a well-respected guy like Lombardi you pull the trigger every day of the week
I don't necessarily disagree but it definitely has to be the right guy. Like many GM's he's fallen in love with what he's created, even Sutter did the same thing. Short bursts of overachieving can sometimes be disastrous to rebuilding teams. In hind sight the worst possible things to happen to this team were probably making the playoffs and beating the Vancouver in 2015. This team would've looked entirely different, had that not happened.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I like Treliving, I think he's learned his lesson on Free Agency which has been my only complaint with him. I like his drafting and trades and his contract negotiating is elite. With Sutter as coach he won't be going anywhere. This will be a top 5 team for the next couple years.

That's what we thought after the Brouwer contract.

Some trades have been good others have been straight up garbage.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Which trades are garbage? The Hamonic trade wasn't great but I can't think of any others that were bad off of the top of my head.
Hamonic obviously terrible and has cost this team from drafting a player like Wahlstrom/Farabee, trading Neal for Lucic when Lucic's contract makes it essentially un able to buyout because of how it is structured is a bad trade, and while there are rumours Lucic will waive his nmc in the expansion draft we won't know until he does.

Re-signing RFA is fine but after forcing Gaudreau to leave money on the table for useless vets it is going to make keeping him difficult imo

turnagainoutlaw

Apr 1, 2013
Yukon
Hamonic obviously terrible and has cost this team from drafting a player like Wahlstrom/Farabee, trading Neal for Lucic when Lucic's contract makes it essentially un able to buyout because of how it is structured is a bad trade, and while there are rumours Lucic will waive his nmc in the expansion draft we won't know until he does.

Re-signing RFA is fine but after forcing Gaudreau to leave money on the table for useless vets it is going to make keeping him difficult imo
Obviously the Neal signing was bad but I don't mind Lucic at all this year, I think he waives for sure. I think you need to go to the wall on every contract negotiation in a cap system, if Johnny doesn't want to resign trade his a$$. Like I said if he has learned his lesson in free agency I would keep Tre around. I don't remember this Org. having this kind of depth in a long time.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Obviously the Neal signing was bad but I don't mind Lucic at all this year, I think he waives for sure. I think you need to go to the wall on every contract negotiation in a cap system, if Johnny doesn't want to resign trade his a$$. Like I said if he has learned his lesson in free agency I would keep Tre around. I don't remember this Org. having this kind of depth in a long time.

Lucic has been good this year but not worth his cap hit. Treliving has drafted well which is why him trading picks is so frustrating.

If Gaudreau won't re-sign obviously we need to try and move him but I think it's far more likely he won't take a discount to help build this team again because he just watched Treliving waste the extra cap space, in which case that's on Treliving.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

The Neal signing was obviously an indefensible nightmare, but we don't know if Flames ownership would have been willing to buy it out anyway after already buying out Brouwer.

Assessed in a vacuum, the Lucic for Neal trade was a net positive as long as Lucic waives for expansion. We reduced the cap hit overall and got the better player who seems to have an overall impact on the team most nights.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Lucic has been good this year but not worth his cap hit. Treliving has drafted well which is why him trading picks is so frustrating.

If Gaudreau won't re-sign obviously we need to try and move him but I think it's far more likely he won't take a discount to help build this team again because he just watched Treliving waste the extra cap space, in which case that's on Treliving.
Why would Johnny take two discounts in a row? He already took a discount and currently has one of the better value contracts in the league. It has nothing to do with Johnny wanting more because he watched cap space being wasted. Thats just silly.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Why would Johnny take two discounts in a row? He already took a discount and currently has one of the better value contracts in the league. It has nothing to do with Johnny wanting more because he watched cap space being wasted. Thats just silly.

How much can a 65-70 pt forward who plays small with a bad playoff record get in this limited CAP NHL?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The Neal signing was obviously an indefensible nightmare, but we don't know if Flames ownership would have been willing to buy it out anyway after already buying out Brouwer.

Assessed in a vacuum, the Lucic for Neal trade was a net positive as long as Lucic waives for expansion. We reduced the cap hit overall and got the better player who seems to have an overall impact on the team most nights.
I agree, for the most part. Theres absolutely no way they would've even considered buying out the Neal contract before this coming offseason, at the earliest. With the way our contract are structured and our current buyouts dropping off a Lucic buyout is actually favorable to a Neal buyout. The only real mistakes Treliving has made, involving the roster, have come when he tied to force it for a team need. Brouwer, Neal and Hamonic. Even the Hamonic deal was just an overpayment of a 2nd, because all sorts teams wanted him.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
How much can a 65-70 pt forward who plays small with a bad playoff record get in this limited CAP NHL?
Oh I think he could still get a pretty good chunk of change. For me personally, I'd keep him under 8. If he wants more than that he's down the road.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

If management wouldn't buy him out it makes the trade slightly better assuming Lucic waives his NMC, but I don't know how much I buy that ownership won't spend money argument. We have massively expanded our scouting staff over this decade, we brought in yet another coach during the season where revenue is down massively, and have bought out several contracts. Is it possible ownership wouldn't buy out the contract for sure, but it seems a lot less likely then Treliving not being willing to ask imo

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If management wouldn't buy him out it makes the trade slightly better assuming Lucic waives his NMC, but I don't know how much I buy that ownership won't spend money argument. We have massively expanded our scouting staff over this decade, we brought in yet another coach during the season where revenue is down massively, and have bought out several contracts. Is it possible ownership wouldn't buy out the contract for sure, but it seems a lot less likely then Treliving not being willing to ask imo
He didn't ask because he knew the answer.

Hey guys! I kinda f*cked up, can I have 23 million to fix it? And oh, by the way, we're going to be $2 million sort on cap space for the next 8 years.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That depends on whether he acquires another trash player like "Gustaffsson" or "Fantenberg" to kick Kylington out of the lineup for no reason at all.

FWIW, Gustafsson was a nice PP add. But an absolutely 5 on 5 liability. He was fine in Flames red.

Reactions: Deen

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
tenor.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Something I've been wondering about.... I recall when I saw the transition between Hartley and Gulutzan that there was a significant difference in "speed". I attributed it to a significant increase in request for hard acceleration and significant amounts of deceleration. It was very stop and go, slowed the players, put them in weird positions and also drained their energy quickly.

A few of you have commented that our players are quite slow, but certain players look much faster under Sutter.

Under Sutter, there's a bunch of hard acceleration, but I've also seemingly noticed significantly less deceleration. Players don't stop as much, they glide in circle at slow and moderate speeds and can maintain momentum while doing so to re-accelerate to top speed quicker as they aren't at a full stop. IIRC, under Hartley, the players glided, but not in circles. They glided in straight lines. The gliding however helps immensely to keep the players at higher "idle" speeds and shortens the time required to get to max speed. This helps immensely in making the team seem less slow. The gliding in circles kinda helps to maintain zone or specific locational positioning vs Hartley's gliding was either at another player or limited zone positioning (ie: in front of own net).

I've also noticed that Tkachuk's glides are... irregular? His acceleration stance is more rigid and reminds me of a trapezoid. This stance though seems to have a benefit for allowing him easier and quicker opportunities to do a between the legs shot.

Can anyone attest to this happening and increasing the speed of our team's overall game?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino