Flames fire coaching staff.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It is not, because Reinhart didn't cost a the Oilers an unprotected Lottery pick.

And if that lottery pick isn't a win, it ends up as just 12th overall or worse vs. Reinhart's 16th overall. And there is only an 8.2% chance of that lottery pick being converted.

Funny thing though is that I'm sure if Treliving asked for lottery protection at the time, the Islanders would likely still have found a way to make the deal. So what makes it a bad mistake is how easy it likely would have been to protect himself from it.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Swapping out "in goal 2 years in a row" with "in trading out cap space, not to be used" and "unprotected 1st for Travis Hamonic" with "mid-level 1st and some for Reinhart" doesn't sound much different.

Either way I can't understand Flames still backing that management team. And Burke, always at least one key ingredient short of playoff supremacy (delete and replace supremacy with eligibility).
:facepalm: Totally. I can't understand either, but I assume if Treeliving is fired Burke will go with him.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
It's not, it is to you because you're still just really mad about it like so many of them.

So you think its better to trade a 1st and 2nd for nothing then to trade a 1st and 2 seconds for a top 4 d man?

That is the hottest of takes.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
To be fair Reinhart did get claimed by Vegas. The going rate around the league for that expansion draft was a first or second round pick. Sometimes more.

So you could say it was Reinhart for a second. Barzal was predicted to go much higher. He fell.

Reactions: McTrashBoat

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I had kinda forgot about the Lazar trade. Not a crippling trade but it was bad.
What made it worse to me is that they were going to lose him or someone of equal value in the expansion draft. Seemed like a waste of a 2nd. Fortunately for them GMGM made what looked like an idiotic move and took Engelland

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
To be fair Reinhart did get claimed by Vegas. The going rate around the league for that expansion draft was a first or second round pick. Sometimes more.

So you could say it was Reinhart for a second. Barzal was predicted to go much higher. He fell.

Interesting take. Never looked at it that way, but still angers me.

Reactions: Aerrol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

To be fair, we really had nothing of value in that expansion draft. Nothing that couldn't be replaced by a cheap UFA signing.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown

Who would we have lost if not for Reinhart? Letestu? Khaira? I don't think either of those guys were worth a first round pick.

It's more like we traded a 1st + high 2nd for Reinhart and a 3rd.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Who would we have lost if not for Reinhart? Letestu? Khaira? I don't think either of those guys were worth a first round pick.

It's more like we traded a 1st + high 2nd for Reinhart and a 3rd.
I'd be curious who we would've taken. In hindsight pretty tough to mess up that pick

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
So you think its better to trade a 1st and 2nd for nothing then to trade a 1st and 2 seconds for a top 4 d man?

That is the hottest of takes.

And on top of that that draft was an epically good one all through the middle of the 1st and into the 2nd round. With the 16th pick and the 32nd after taking mcdavid the team could have been sitting pretty right now or at least have resources to trade for help. The Reinhart trade was the worst one in the history of the oilers, even worse than the Hall trade.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Clearly the Flames know who we're targeting to replace Tmac and are going to scoop them out from under us. I'm half joking here. Wouldn't shock me.

Reactions: LTIR

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Clearly the Flames know who we're targeting to replace Tmac and are going to scoop them out from under us. I'm half joking here. Wouldn't shock me.

Would be there style. I suspect they have spies watching the Oilers to try and steal anything the Oilers may want. The funny part is that the Oilers only scope out bad ideas, so that Oiler fixation is likely to their demise.

(only half-kidding here)

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Clearly the Flames know who we're targeting to replace Tmac and are going to scoop them out from under us. I'm half joking here. Wouldn't shock me.[/QUOTEw
watch Flames hire sutter as coach. Someone I'd like to see as oilers coach

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Flames 'fired' their coaches and the Oilers are lubing their coaches to make em fit.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really hope they don't hire Vigenault. He's awesome and I'd hate to see him do work in Calgary
Meh, him and TM don't match lines. Them playing against each other could result in line matching by accident.

AV has always had pretty good goaltending. Not sure what he could squeeze out of Mike Smith.

In all fairness I would hire AV as an assistant. Not sure where he's head is at though. Might be what he needs for a year or two.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Just start some rumors on twitter that Oilers are seriously looking into hiring Dallas Eakins again. Or Thierrien. Maybe Flames will bite
Didn't think look at Eakins last time? Someone seemed to be interested in him not that long ago for some stupid reason.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Darryl Sutter to Flames would be the obvious prediction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad