Flames fire coaching staff.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think this just shows that coaching staff don't necessary get fired the day after the season. So TMc and his assistants aren't safe yet.

Gulutzan always reminded me of Eakins, he just had a slightly better roster with better built-in habits to work with so I can't say I'm surprised to see them move on.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I have been saying all along if the Humboldt tragic event didnt happen, TM would already be gone.

He went and represented the Oilers the next day after the regular season ended, along with Gulutzan, so both teams were classy about it and let them do it. I thought the Oilers would give TM a couple weeks after the fact before letting him go.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It's an abomination that at the very least all the assistants haven't been let go by now.
Fairly solid rumors suggest that at least two of them have already been let go. It just hasn't been announced as they likely want to announce the entire staff at once, or like this an announcement, they will announce the firing of the entire staff soon.

The longer it goes though the more likely it is that at least TMc is sticking around.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Fairly solid rumors suggest that at least two of them have already been let go. It just hasn't been announced as they likely want to announce the entire staff at once, or like this an announcement, they will announce the firing of the entire staff soon.

The longer it goes though the more likely it is that at least TMc is sticking around.

Its definitely going to be McLellan staying and one or two of the assistant coaches being fired. If it was up to me though, they can all go. McLellan staying = another season of him playing his favorites like Lucic and Caggiula in positions they shouldn't be in the first place. Lucic getting prime minutes with McDavid and PP. Caggiula getting PK and PP minutes were just classic failures on behalf of McLellan. You would think he'll learn once another of his struggling favorites in Letestu got traded after his horrid time on the special teams.

Reactions: dawunderboy

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Curious to see how everything plays out. They have to make some official comments on some guys, but if a guy like MacT or Howson is let go do we find out? Or is it one of those things that we find out months later they are no longer with the club.

Be weird to see a press conference where it's announced 8 people are gone

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Curious to see how everything plays out. They have to make some official comments on some guys, but if a guy like MacT or Howson is let go do we find out? Or is it one of those things that we find out months later they are no longer with the club.

Be weird to see a press conference where it's announced 8 people are gone

I say the chances of a presser concerning the overpriced terrible Bobby Nic's burger is more likely than a presser announcing the Oilers firing that close amount of people.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Meanwhile we're in a period of evaluation. The Oilers organization is such a cesspool.
They fired the coaching staff to take the "heat" off themselves as management. Because it wasn't the coach who took the cheap option in goal 2 years in row or traded an unprotected 1st for Travis Hammonic.

Their Management is worse then the Oilers, no question.

Reactions: McFuhryous

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
They fired the coaching staff to take the "heat" off themselves as management. Because it wasn't the coach who took the cheap option in goal 2 years in row or traded an unprotected 1st for Travis Hammonic.

Yeah no doubt, that was bad move by them. But.. our GM trades... well you got the point.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
This will be Treliving's second coach and he should have been fired for dealing away all of Calgary's picks in the first 3 rounds and missing the playoffs this season as well. Those missing picks can cripple a prospect pool going forward...but I'm not complaining.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeah no doubt, that was bad move by them. But.. our GM trades... well you got the point.
I'm not suggesting the Edmonton Management group (or coaching staff) is without fault/blame, but don't praise the Flames Management for deflecting blame by firing the coaches, like a bunch of ***holes.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I generally like what Treliving has done, but that Hamonic trade was awful. Its basically the equivalent of the Reinhart Trade. Hamonic is obviously a better player than Reinhart but to not lottery protect the first is such a careless move. He likely wont get caught but if Calgary wins the lottery ... heads will roll.

I think they have similar problems to the Oilers now. Too much impatience. Forcing deals that they shouldnt.

Gulutzan is a bad coach and a bad hire. He didnt get much out of the Flames roster. As I said in the other thread, hopefully this pushes more change around the league.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Swapping out "in goal 2 years in a row" with "in trading out cap space, not to be used" and "unprotected 1st for Travis Hamonic" with "mid-level 1st and some for Reinhart" doesn't sound much different.

Either way I can't understand Flames still backing that management team. And Burke, always at least one key ingredient short of playoff supremacy (delete and replace supremacy with eligibility).

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015

Not to mention a second for Curtis freaking Lazar and over-paying Mike Stone last year.
It's startling Treliving isn't getting more flak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad