Flames fire coaching staff.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
In 2 years, the Flames make the playoffs then barely miss the playoffs - Fire the entire coaching staff
In 3 years (WITH McDavid), the Oilers finish bottom 10 TWICE and make the playoffs once - Still evaluating.
Sigh

Kind of surprised that Treliving still has a job but at least they show some level of accountability.

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
I’m not understanding why people are mad about the “evaluation” on the coaching staff. Believe it or not a smart company has a clear path and replacement before they just start firing people. I’m not a huge Tmac fan but none of the possible replacements are exactly making my nether regions tingle with excitement. Am I missing someone? Please enlighten me.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The failure of the team after adding Hamonic is what sealed his fate. They upgraded their team and mortaged their future for the short term. What saved Tmac was probably that our team downgraded in the short term. We gave up Eberle, a necessary move (although not necessary when it was made), for Strome, without replacing Eberle. We also started with injuries, and it seems like what happened to Klef this year wasn't Tmac's doing, and Klef did show strides under Tmac.

In reality, imo it was a GM failure for the Flames imo. The Flames were already stacked with OFD, and they brought Hamonic in as more of a shutdown guy. Except, that doomed them from the start because Hamonic doesn't show his true value unless he gets some offensive time. He would have done better here, and what the Flames really needed was a center (although I can't think of one available to them). I bet they traded for Hamonic to prevent us from getting him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You realize if they get any of those top 3 picks it's worse. Again, I get it, but just stop with this stuff.

Stop with what stuff? The Flames got a decent NHL defenseman for what will likely be a fringe top 10 pick and a 2nd rounder, the Oilers got a bust for what would have been two impact prospects. The Reinhart deal is far worse as it stands right now, why is this even a debate? The Reinhart deal could very well be looked at as one of the worst all time trades when all is said and done. The Hamonic deal is awful as well but likely not historically awful.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I’m not understanding why people are mad about the “evaluation” on the coaching staff. Believe it or not a smart company has a clear path and replacement before they just start firing people. I’m not a huge Tmac fan but none of the possible replacements are exactly making my nether regions tingle with excitement. Am I missing someone? Please enlighten me.

Because they have failed miserably 2 of 3 McDavid seasons. That would be grounds for GM and coach firing from just about any other organization. Like it or not, when you draft McDavid, expectations immediately change drastically.

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
Because they have failed miserably 2 of 3 McDavid seasons. That would be grounds for GM and coach firing from just about any other organization. Like it or not, when you draft McDavid, expectations immediately change drastically.

That doesn’t answer my question, I understand the emotional decision is to fire everyone. But who are we targeting? You don’t clean house in the business world just because you are angry..

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That doesn’t answer my question, I understand the emotional decision is to fire everyone. But who are we targeting? You don’t clean house in the business world just because you are angry..
I understand what you’re saying. Unfortunately, patience and frustration don’t go hand in hand. I just hope they’ve recognized Mclellan is a problem and needs to be replaced and they’re not just crossing their fingers hoping things will be better next year. If he had been fired by now then fans would at least have the answer to that question. Nobody likes hearing the word “evaluating” when this team had been terrible from game 2. The team had an entire season to have done it already. Hopefully it’s just a case of waiting to see who shakes loose to do it, I just hope they don’t have tunnel vision on one guy and if they can’t get him go with the status quo.

Reactions: BlackDogg

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The bottom line is results and the coaching staff hasn't delivered. If I was to tell you that in McDavid's 3rd season that they would have been out of the playoff running by Christmas, you would have said there was no way that was happening unless there was catastrophic injury. The GM and coach have failed and should get the axe as a result.

I understand the value of continuity but in the same token, who has the coaching staff really developed in 3 years? What's the plan? What's the direction? Some of these questions should have been answered by now.
Bottom 10 of the league and effectively out of the playoff race for the majority of 2 seasons, awful special teams, lack of team identity. As far as the roster is concerned, still no PMD after 3 offseasons, still no goal scoring wingers, still no backup goalie. At what point is enough enough? How many more McDavid years are going to be wasted?

I don't know who they should be targeting, that's up to Katz, OBC and Nicholson or whoever is in charge, but I do know that the people currently in place aren't getting the job done.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
They've decided to blame the players. No significant management or coaching changes are forthcoming.
This should probably be discussed as more than just a passing comment. Within the last month all of Nicholson, Chiarelli and Mclellan blamed the players. It’s clear that it’s an organizational belief. I found it odd that Nicholson did this late in the season and I commented at the time that it’s the first time through all the crap years that the organization did that and they seem to be in ass-covering mode. I agree the players share in the responsibility of this year but they don’t own all the blame. If management truly believes that, makes no significant changes and the team stinks again next year, I’ll support getting rid of everyone from Nicholson down.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
What a f***ing insult to the fans Bob's drivel is. Evaluating, evaluating, evaluating...my ass. Where the hell were you when they were losing game after game and never changing anything. Lets not jump to any conclusions that another month of inaction can't sort out. Either the plan was shitty or the implementation of it. Even Calgary can figure that out.

this should probably go in another of the 50 threads about Oilers own ineptness.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
What a ****ing insult to the fans Bob's drivel is. Evaluating, evaluating, evaluating...my ass. Where the hell were you when they were losing game after game and never changing anything. Lets not jump to any conclusions that another month of inaction can't sort out. Either the plan was ****ty or the implementation of it. Even Calgary can figure that out.

this should probably go in another of the 50 threads about Oilers own ineptness.

Talk about over reaction, the Oilers had there best regular season in what 25 yrs last year? And you want Mclellan fired because the flames fired there staff? There was no way Mclellan was going to be fired after last season so quick, now if the oilers falter into next year that’s a different story

I actually am half expecting the flames to hire Nelson, and have success just to rub the salt

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Talk about over reaction, the Oilers had there best regular season in what 25 yrs last year? And you want Mclellan fired because the flames fired there staff? There was no way Mclellan was going to be fired after last season so quick, now if the oilers falter into next year that’s a different story

I actually am half expecting the flames to hire Nelson, and have success just to rub the salt
well then we should win the cup after firing McLellan and hiring Gulutzen

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

I invoked the 24hr rule (actually the 6 month rule) and still erupted after careful evaluation.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I personally think the Oilers wait till a couple rounds of the playoffs are finished and a couple more coaches shake lose. Trotz will probably be let go from Washington. LA might fire Stevens with the kings about to get swept.

Im still hoping for Darryl Sutter though. The Oilers are in dire need of structure and Darryl would bring that in by the truck load.

The Flames just stink and are doing nothing but spinning their wheels in the bud

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Just start some rumors on twitter that Oilers are seriously looking into hiring Dallas Eakins again. Or Thierrien. Maybe Flames will bite

Craig MacTavish. Kill two birds with one stone.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What a ****ing insult to the fans Bob's drivel is. Evaluating, evaluating, evaluating...my ass. Where the hell were you when they were losing game after game and never changing anything. Lets not jump to any conclusions that another month of inaction can't sort out. Either the plan was ****ty or the implementation of it. Even Calgary can figure that out.

No doubt. I guess the whole season didn't mean squat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->