Post-Game Talk: Flames Come to Edmonton To Burn Their Village, But Nobody Brought Matches, Lose 7-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2014
Frolik and Backlund where awesome, Wideman was great as well. Brodie played amazing, probably too much for my liking.

Ferland aint playin' gritty enough.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
After one game so it should be taken with a grain of salt, since we don't know if some of these things will become the norm.

- Aside from the 2 bad turnovers, Grossmann wasn't as bad as some people make him out to be.
- PK was fantastic, even without the 2 goals, we were more often than not able to either prevent the defenceman up high from getting the puck, or getting the shot through.
- If Hamilton can play with that kind of edge from here on out, that will be nothing but a positive.
- Backlund/Frolik tandem was lights out for most of the game, we should have 3 lines able to chip in offensively regularity.
- I'm not sure Tkachuk will stick past 9 games, his straight away speed isn't horrible, but because of his foot speed he can't gain any separation anywhere on the ice.
- I'd still like to see more short support in our breakouts, I'm not a fan of having one guy (sometimes 2) standing still at the opposition blue line when we are coming up ice, we need to attack with speed, and if we have to dump at least we have some one who can get there and pressure or flat out retrieve it.
- We still seem to give up so many high quality scoring chances.

Just my take, and like I said, most likely it's a matter of a new coach, new systems, and so on, rather than what we can expect on a night-night basis.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I will say this about Wideman, he stopped McDavid twice last night on 2 breakaways. One was called a penalty shot which was a complete and utter joke, and on the 2nd play he took a great angle of pursuit and made a really good play poke checking the puck off of Jesus.

And Grossman had a terrible start to the game. But after that I thought he also looked fine (no I was not drinking last night).

Wideman didn't really stop McDavid on that play, he didn't actually affect the play at all. That was all Elliott with his poke check.

Hey, if you all want a laugh, here's McDavid's description of how NHL rules should work:

[fieldset=Connor McDavid post-game]"I actually thought it should have been a penalty shot, [the referee] made the right call," McDavid said. "When you have a clear-cut breakaway like that and you get it knocked off your stick, it should be a penalty shot every time. It was a good call."[/fieldset]

https://www.nhl.com/news/mcdavid-he...mes-in-first-game-at-rogers-place/c-282610460

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Wideman didn't really stop McDavid on that play, he didn't actually affect the play at all. That was all Elliott with his poke check.

Hey, if you all want a laugh, here's McDavid's description of how NHL rules should work:

[fieldset=Connor McDavid post-game]"I actually thought it should have been a penalty shot, [the referee] made the right call," McDavid said. "When you have a clear-cut breakaway like that and you get it knocked off your stick, it should be a penalty shot every time. It was a good call."[/fieldset]

https://www.nhl.com/news/mcdavid-he...mes-in-first-game-at-rogers-place/c-282610460

Sounds like McDavid needs to take a skim of the ol' rule book.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He's the face of the NHL, though. We'd better get used to that new standard.*

*: only applies to those wearing #97

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

I guess he is as dumb as he looks.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
We out shoot them 41-27 and lose by a margin of 3 (arguably 2 if we ignore the ENG).

200.gif

I really hope this tightens up. I was busy and had to resort to stat watching, but I had an uneasy Eakin "stat approach" vibe looking at the stats and reading comments. I hope that vibe is unfounded.

Agree that it's a new coach, new system and a few other things. I think panic isn't necessary until I see the stats on late November/early December.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Monahan was stellar on faceoffs last night, that was a silver lining in his game. Just needs to shake the rust off.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I will say this about Wideman, he stopped McDavid twice last night on 2 breakaways. One was called a penalty shot which was a complete and utter joke, and on the 2nd play he took a great angle of pursuit and made a really good play poke checking the puck off of Jesus.

And Grossman had a terrible start to the game. But after that I thought he also looked fine (no I was not drinking last night).

People always say this about players like Grossmann. "other than the egregious error he was fine"..

Fine as in "did nothing useful but didn't make more egregious errors.".

Uh okay.

If we're going to have egregious error, how about we have it from a guy who's going to impact the game outside of that error?

I really hope this tightens up. I was busy and had to resort to stat watching, but I had an uneasy Eakin "stat approach" vibe looking at the stats and reading comments. I hope that vibe is unfounded.

Single game corsi stats mean very little. Just as single game goaltending stats mean very little. What will matter is where we stand after 10, 15 games.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
People always say this about players like Grossmann. "other than the egregious error he was fine"..

Fine as in "did nothing useful but didn't make more egregious errors.".

Uh okay.

If we're going to have egregious error, how about we have it from a guy who's going to impact the game outside of that error?

Single game corsi stats mean very little. Just as single game goaltending stats mean very little. What will matter is where we stand after 10, 15 games.

I don't disagree with what you are saying about Grossman, but I thought he was effective on the PK.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I thought Grossman did a good job physically a few times. He's certainly a tough mother****er, and when he gets into a board battle, he basically always wins. Punished a few Oilers tonight. If you take away his giveaway, he had a pretty decent game. Other Flames also had giveaways. Gio had one awful play, but it didn't result in a goal because he got boarded right afterwards. We don't talk about that because we know it won't become a trend. Let's hope so with Grossman, too.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I was in a rage at the time so I may have mis-remembered, but wasn't it a poke check from Elliott that knocked the puck off his stick?

Yes, yes it was.

New Rule: Poke check = penalty shot.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I was in a rage at the time so I may have mis-remembered, but wasn't it a poke check from Elliott that knocked the puck off his stick?

Yes, yes it was.

Yeah. I even took it upon myself to freeze the gif when Wideman actually makes the hook:

jIIUYKu.gif

You can see pretty clearly that the poke check took McDavid off guard, and that the hook didn't affect anything.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

Yes, yes it was.

I just re-watched this (NHL.tv). Commentators comments were "hooked from behind" (Gaudreau) and "pokecheck by Elliot" (McDavid).

Wideman's stick was briefly in McDavid's hands but Elliot clearly poked the puck away. You can argue that Wideman deserved a penalty for that "hooking", but the previous situation with Gaudreau was more clearly an offense. So, either you call those (penalty for Oilers) or you don't call those (no penalty for either team). Really bad and uneven reffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad