Post-Game Talk: Flames Come to Edmonton To Burn Their Village, But Nobody Brought Matches, Lose 7-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Really bad roster decisions and line combinations on D by Gulutzan. Really handicapped the team tonight. He needs to change things up next game.
It's the first game(where the Flames usually crap the bed), so I try not to get too worked up about it and make crazy claims after 1 game. Refs were horrendous as well tonight. Handed at least 1 goal for sure to the Oilers. Awful.

Flames will be better on Friday.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
tumblr_lls0x1nW7n1qakh43o1_500.gif

Given the unusual preseason, the Flames for the most part weren't that bad. Poor performances by Grossmann and Elliott sunk them. The latter is a slight surprise. The former shouldn't touch the ice in Flames silks again this season. Hopefully Gulutzan doesn't Butler this up.

At least Backlund's on pace for 164 assists.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
That was expected, but Elliott should've been pulled after the 3rd goal

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Really bad roster decisions and line combinations on D by Gulutzan. Really handicapped the team tongith. He needs to change things up next game.
It's the first game(where the Flames usually crap the bed), so I try not to get too worked up about it and make crazy claims after 1 game. Refs were horrendous as well tonight. Handed at least 1 goal for sure to the Oilers. Awful.

Flames will be better on Friday.

Totally agree.

Elliott got left out to dry a few times but needs to be sharper.

The top line also needs to produce, something. They were probably out least effective forward line tonight.

Also Backlund is a beauty.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Well Gulutzan you tried splitting up Brodie and Gio and put Grossmann in.

You can go back to proper pairings now so we can win some games.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Honestly I can't fault Elliott for like three of the goals. The first one was a giveaway and a shot through two screens. The second was a bad pinch and a 2 on 1 that he had no chance. The third was the laughable penalty shot, which hey, McDavid will score on those more often than not - it shouldn't have been called in the first place.

I'll re-iterate what I've been saying for a while now. October is going to be an awful month. New system, new coach, new goalies, and now new defensive pairings. It's going to take time to adjust. November would be optimistic.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Tonight was bad.

I know we're blaming the refs, they did give Edmonton two goals tonight; but man did Elliott play badly and did this team just not come to compete.

The top line didn't do much outside of some Johnny flashes. The Mike Line looked good. Bennett's line will get better as we go along. The D... I'm not even sure what to think, Brodie and Engelland looked good. Hamilton was fine... Everything beyond that was so hit and miss. Wideman had a good game by his standards, he gets beat easily (he's slower than ever), but he scored and prevented a goal. Gio had a really bad game; got beat a lot... weak penalty on McDavid, overall just a bad game by the Cap.

Grossmann should never play for us again. 575k is the perfect amount for cheerleading eating popcorn. Hell, if there are major injuries he can draw in again... if not, please let him just sit.

2 goals Grossmann
2 goals Refs
2 goal Elliott

Seems about right?

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Tonight was bad.

I know we're blaming the refs, they did give Edmonton two goals tonight; but man did Elliott play badly and did this team just not come to compete.

The top line didn't do much outside of some Johnny flashes. The Mike Line looked good. Bennett's line will get better as we go along. The D... I'm not even sure what to think, Brodie and Engelland looked good. Hamilton was fine... Everything beyond that was so hit and miss. Wideman had a good game by his standards, he gets beat easily (he's slower than ever), but he scored and prevented a goal. Gio had a really bad game; got beat a lot... weak penalty on McDavid, overall just a bad game by the Cap.

Grossmann should never play for us again. 575k is the perfect amount for cheerleading eating popcorn. Hell, if there are major injuries he can draw in again... if not, please let him just sit.

2 goals Grossmann
2 goals Refs
2 goal Elliott

Seems about right?

Good summary. I thought Tkachuk had a pretty strong game.

Grossman was awful, to no ones surprise.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Wideman outplayed Gio tonight. Easily. I hope this isn't a thing with Gio, rough starts.

I like Versteegs offense, soooooft hands.

Mony and Johnny had flashes but you can tell Mony is super rusty.

Ferland needs to be physical, period.

Backs/Fro were good.

Brodie, was decent, our best D man tonight. Not that that means much.

Grossmann... Well his name says it all.

Elliott with a rough start, a couple rough goals and he was shook, oh well shake it off, start him Friday.

Brouwer was good, Bennett was a little to fancy for my liking tonight.

Overall, we were severely disjointed, new systems and all. But a few bad giveaways and goaltending lost us that game, our PK damn near stole it back for us, which is comforting going forward. Top guys need to gel, and Gully needs to punt Grossmann to Stockton.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Also, why was Elliot left in there? Bush league coaching to not pull him, at the very least after 6

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A few things people needs to realize.

1) The last per-season game was almost a week ago
2) The 2 players that had the worst game tonight (Grossmann and Elliott) were in their first game with the team, even though they had pre-season games there will be an adjustment period.
3) The line that started as the top line never skated a shift together this year before this morning.
4) Refs.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Good summary. I thought Tkachuk had a pretty strong game.

Grossman was awful, to no ones surprise.

Tkachuk was good, but it's obvious he needs to do some serious work on his skating. Also, I'd like him to develop his offensive game more, no need for him to slip into a goon role trying to stay in the bigs.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Also, why was Elliot left in there? Bush league coaching to not pull him, at the very least after 6

That's a rough spot to be in. First game, new team, new goalie. It's a fine line you walk when you deal with goalies, I think he made the call, right or wrong, to let Elliott ride it out and gain some confidence going forward. We'll see how it plays out on Friday.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Honestly I can't fault Elliott for like three of the goals. The first one was a giveaway and a shot through two screens. The second was a bad pinch and a 2 on 1 that he had no chance. The third was the laughable penalty shot, which hey, McDavid will score on those more often than not - it shouldn't have been called in the first place.

I'll re-iterate what I've been saying for a while now. October is going to be an awful month. New system, new coach, new goalies, and now new defensive pairings. It's going to take time to adjust. November would be optimistic.

I can't fault him for three, but I can fault him for the other three.

The 2nd was terrible. It went right through his arm. #4 was a slow reaction to the bounce off the board, shouldn't have gone in. Puljujarvi's was just a weak shot that again went through his arm.

Grossmann with two early turnovers that both lead to goals though.

Flames should have won, just more of the same bull**** from 2015-2016 season, horrid officiating and bad goaltending.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
A few things people needs to realize.

1) The last per-season game was almost a week ago
2) The 2 players that had the worst game tonight (Grossmann and Elliott) were in their first game with the team, even though they had pre-season games there will be an adjustment period.
3) The line that started as the top line never skated a shift together this year before this morning.
4) Refs.

100% agree MM

Also although Johnny played in World Cup it's been several weeks since then so he was rusty, and Monahan also only played one pre season game and is recovering from injury

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Was super bummed to miss this cause of work. Saw the highlights and am kind of hoping I work during every game.

In all seriousness, this is the exact same start as last season. If we let this awful defending/coaching/goaltending thing continue for the first 20 GP like last season its a lottery year again.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Tkachuk was good, but it's obvious he needs to do some serious work on his skating. Also, I'd like him to develop his offensive game more, no need for him to slip into a goon role trying to stay in the bigs.

I completely agree with you on Tkachuk's skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad