Post-Game Talk: Flames Come to Edmonton To Burn Their Village, But Nobody Brought Matches, Lose 7-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
http://www.corsica.hockey/games/
http://www.naturalstattrick.com/

These are the two I use generally.

Corsica had us at 55.17% Corsi and 52.93 xGF% (which I think takes shot quality into account as well).

As for individuals, Brodie lead the way with 71.43% 5v5 Corsi, the 4th line were all in the 60%s, and Bennett+Tkachuk were both around 65%

Monahan, Gaudreau, Backlund, Giordano, and Grossman were all below 50%, and they were the only 5.

It was a similar trend in the pre-season - IIRC we were around 6th in the league with ~55%. Could be a trend worth paying attention to - Corsi for% becomes the best predictor of future success by about game 15 or so.

Thanks

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
His skating, honestly, isn't even as bad are people making it out to be. He won a couple pucks tonight with some speed, I wasn't ready to see it because I've just been hearing how he was a bad skater.

I agree. I love the pest, but if the only thing he's adding to a game is some PIMs and some Goon behaviour, he should go rip London for another year.

He doesn't look like a speed demon, but he looks at least as fast as Brouwer.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
On a side note we were almost 56% possession tonight. We had the puck a lot, and put a lot of rubber on the net. You clean up the garbage goals, and Calgary will be fine.

As I said, let's get the ugly out of the way here first.

That's to be expected, though. The Flames were trailing for 80% of the game, and score effects are fairly strong.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
To be honest, I don't care what the Corsi numbers say, we never looked in control of the game at all. We kept getting into one-on-one foot-races with McDavid, which is a terrible idea, and we could not put together chances. We won the Corsi battle, but we lost the scoring chances, and that's telling.

That said, a few more saves and objective refereeing would've possibly provided a different result. I'm hoping they work on some systems and we settle down for next game.

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Elliot's low blocker was non existent tonight lol. Not saying that lost us the game, but yeahhhh.

Also, the penalty shot was not a penalty, let alone a shot, in this universe or any other one. But again, not why we lost the game.

Need Friday's game and Saturday's. Elliott will bounce back.

GFG.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The referees need to be accountable for their play as much as players. I hope the media picks up on any patterns on Wideman getting extra penalties, if they do that the Officials Union will have to do something because of the negative PR.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Given that Bettman has made it incredibly clear he wants Wideman's head and is fully backing the refs, we won't get league support at all, even if that becomes the case. It will pretty much turn into a sucks to be us thing.

I think it will happen even if we got rid of Wideman, it's probably more how the Flames supported Wideman than just Wideman to the referees. They probably hate our entire organization now

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The referees need to be accountable for their play as much as players. I hope the media picks up on any patterns on Wideman getting extra penalties, if they do that the Officials Union will have to do something because of the negative PR.

I doubt the media will do ****. I was listening to NHL radio's re-cap of the game on my way home from hockey, and they didn't even mention the bad call on the penalty shot. They even edited the clip from the Oilers broadcast where the Oilers radio commentators were muttering that it was an extremely fortunate call for the Oilers.

Meanwhile, this was NHL.com's synopsis of the play (warning, may cause your blood pressure to rise):

[fieldset=NHL.com Recap]Gaudreau worked his way into the Oilers zone and dropped a pass that was intercepted by McDavid just inside the blue line. McDavid raced down the ice and past Wideman on his way to the net. Wideman hooked McDavid on the breakaway, and McDavid was awarded a penalty shot. McDavid scored against Elliott and gave Edmonton a 5-3 lead in the second period.[/fieldset]

I looked on Sportsnet.ca, and their recap doesn't mention it, but they do at least point to the Gaudreau non-call in their highlight pack.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Johnny was rusty tonight , shows the preseason games were missed with the boys , elliott was terrible laterally, heres the truth , hard to swallow but listen. Tkachuk needs time in the minors now, bring him back after 30 , bennett isn't ready for 15 Plus minutes back to the 3rd line,Monahan did well, versteeg despite a few nice shots can't keep up. Elliot did well because of his depth at defence in St.Louis here is is AVERAGE at best support him!! Better than last year but still need seasoning , it takes a while 2 more years. Refs were fine tonight , fine as in as expected. Man up Flames played bad and got lucky to get 4.

Terrible post, disagree with every single point. What a joke and embarrassing statements to make.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Johnny was rusty tonight , shows the preseason games were missed with the boys , elliott was terrible laterally, heres the truth , hard to swallow but listen. Tkachuk needs time in the minors now, bring him back after 30 , bennett isn't ready for 15 Plus minutes back to the 3rd line,Monahan did well, versteeg despite a few nice shots can't keep up. Elliot did well because of his depth at defence in St.Louis here is is AVERAGE at best support him!! Better than last year but still need seasoning , it takes a while 2 more years. Refs were fine tonight , fine as in as expected. Man up Flames played bad and got lucky to get 4.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Get outta here. You know nothing.

Nice to know that you Oilers fans expect A+ treatment from the refs now.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
On a side note we were almost 56% possession tonight. We had the puck a lot, and put a lot of rubber on the net. You clean up the garbage goals, and Calgary will be fine.

As I said, let's get the ugly out of the way here first.
Score effect is nearly everything here. We weren't that bad and the loss is mostly on two players (with one who should never play a game again) but those mistakes happened early in the 1st.

To be honest, I don't care what the Corsi numbers say, we never looked in control of the game at all.
What about the second period?

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I'm sure you can explain how Bennett played poorly. Or Tkachuk for that matter. Or how we were lucky to score four goals. Opinions based on nothing are not hard truth.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You know what? The more I think about it the more I think Grossmann is getting a bum wrap here.

That 2nd goal everyone is blaming him for was not his fault. He was on an odd-man rush and his shot was blocked, the fault lies with the forward that should have been covering for him (in this cast Tkachuk). He really settled down after that play as well and became more steady.

People see an opportunity to jump all over a guy they didn't want signed and they are taking it whether consciously or not.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You know what? The more I think about it the more I think Grossmann is getting a bum wrap here.

That 2nd goal everyone is blaming him for was not his fault. He was on an odd-man rush and his shot was blocked, the fault lies with the forward that should have been covering for him (in this cast Tkachuk). He really settled down after that play as well and became more steady.

People see an opportunity to jump all over a guy they didn't want signed and they are taking it whether consciously or not.

Grossman was beyond terrible. The guy can't make a breakout pass. He's not a modern day NHL defencemen.

The worse decision was Gully deciding that Gio-Wideman would be a good pairing to put against McDavid. Embarrssing. Wideman at best is a third pairing D. Putting him on McDavid is the stupidest coaching decision I've seen in hockey.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No offense Snipe but I cannot take your evaluations of players seriously. When you dislike a player you pick at every tiny mistake they make and look for reasons to complain about them. You do it all the time and it distorts your views on alot of players that are actually not that bad.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

That's a fair point. Though I have to say wasn't impressed with any of our D pairings.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's a fair point. Though I have to say wasn't impressed with any of our D pairings.
I wasn't either, but it was also Game 1 and they had sat for basically a week. I'm not defending the teams play because overall it was pretty bad, but we need more than a single game to evaluate them properly.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Problem is we can't spot the other team a pair of goals before our defensemen "settle down." I suppose he deserves the benefit of the doubt being on a new team, new system, etc so we'll see how he plays (if he plays) on Friday.
Grossman was beyond terrible. The guy can't make a breakout pass. He's not a modern day NHL defencemen.

The worse decision was Gully deciding that Gio-Wideman would be a good pairing to put against McDavid. Embarrssing. Wideman at best is a third pairing D. Putting him on McDavid is the stupidest coaching decision I've seen in hockey.

Keep in mind part of this was due to the Oilers having last change and matching up McDavid with whoever they wanted.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Brodie and Engelland to me were the only two that really showed some ability. I'm not sure if it's that he's playing with Brodie, but Engelland looks like a different player :laugh:

Honestly, if they wanted to shut down McDavid last night, Brodano should have been together, Brodie can keep up with Connor. Wideman was violated by foot speed a few times last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad