Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Kris Russel for 5th round pick

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
I have never seen or heard about waiver priority changing because a team had claimed someone.

Does anyone have a link to prove that.

I don't think it's true.

I'm pretty sure thats how it works. Every time a team claims a player, the drop to the bottom of the waiver priority list. That way, its always fair

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
surprised people are not more excited about this pickup. He's better than any of SOB, Butler, and Cundari. Kids got game, It was simply a numbers game on a stacked blueline. As of right now he is a top4 dman on our depth chart. I'd ideally like to get a bigger, gritty, RH dman to play with Brodie on 2nd pair, and push Russell down to the 3rd.

Really wish we would not have signed Butler, the guy is dead weight on skates. Not signing him is addition by subtraction imo. He's an ok depth option I guess, But i'm sure he'll be a regular in the lineup:shakehead

Gio-Wideman
Brodie-??upgrade??
SOB-Russell

Not too bad at all...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
surprised people are not more excited about this pickup. He's better than any of SOB, Butler, and Cundari. Kids got game, It was simply a numbers game on a stacked blueline. As of right now he is a top4 dman on our depth chart. I'd ideally like to get a bigger, gritty, RH dman to play with Brodie on 2nd pair, and push Russell down to the 3rd.

Really wish we would not have signed Butler, the guy is dead weight on skates. Not signing him is addition by subtraction imo. He's an ok depth option I guess, But i'm sure he'll be a regular in the lineup:shakehead

Gio-Wideman
Brodie-??upgrade??
SOB-Russell

Not too bad at all...
I respectfully disagree. Russell is not a top 4 defenseman on this team and has never proved himself to be such on any team. He is a bottom pairing offensive defenseman that is poor defensively.

Butler is a better defensive defenseman and has proven himself to be able to log bigger minutes. I am really tired of the way Butler is treated by Flames fans, he was a whipping boy before he ever played his first game for us and people are too stubborn to actually accept he is better than they originally thought.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Gio-Wideman
Brodie-??upgrade??
SOB-Russell

Not too bad at all...

Butler is so under rated its not even funny.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I respectfully disagree. Russell is not a top 4 defenseman on this team and has never proved himself to be such on any team. He is a bottom pairing offensive defenseman that is poor defensively.

Butler is a better defensive defenseman and has proven himself to be able to log bigger minutes. I am really tired of the way Butler is treated by Flames fans, he was a whipping boy before he ever played his first game for us and people are too stubborn to actually accept he is better than they originally thought.

we disagree then, Russell IMO is overlooked on a stacked blueline. Pretty sure people will like him more than Butler. I really don't think he's a liability in his own end at all. Unfortunately he does nothing to help our horrible defensive net presence issues. Which is one of our teams biggest problems.

Also, check my history if you want, I was a supporter of Butler's when he first got here and when we acquired him. He simply has nothing significant to add to a lineup. He's soft, shows little desire, lacks net presence, and is good for 1 or 2 boneheaded plays a game. On top of that his first pass is average and he does absolutely nothing offensively.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
How? Explain to me what he adds to our lineup.

He is the 4th best defenseman on the team he would not be an addition by subtraction. Even the fact that such an idea can been seen as "good" to anyone shows how completely undervalued he is. He is probably the 2nd best shot blocking defenseman on the team and one of the better pkers as he reads the play quite well and is good at getting in the shooting lanes. He has flaws in his game just like every player (he is softer than I would like, he gives the puck away by trying to do to much).

The only reason he is seen as an addition by subtraction is he is the whipping boy on defense (and has been since day 1). He is a very good #5 defenseman an a adequate #4.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Feaster just explained why they used the pick, essentially to avoid arbitration.

That makes sense....on the day everybody is spending money to improve their team, the Flames save some by selling draft pick...

Feaster is becoming an expert at it.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
That makes sense....on the day everybody is spending money to improve their team, the Flames save some by selling draft pick...

Feaster is becoming an expert at it.
Because it's a great idea to copy other teams and spend money like its going out of fashion, right?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I will admit that I am blatantly stat-watching on this, but Russell has never been a minus player over an NHL season, including his seasons with the woeful Columbus Blue Jackets. He was also a pretty good contributor on the Blues, and was pushed off the roster by the addition of two similar players. If you compare our bottom-pairing defencemen who are poor defensively, his stats are much, much better, and were even on Columbus.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
He is the 4th best defenseman on the team he would not be an addition by subtraction. Even the fact that such an idea can been seen as "good" to anyone shows how completely undervalued he is. He is probably the 2nd best shot blocking defenseman on the team and one of the better pkers as he reads the play quite well and is good at getting in the shooting lanes. He has flaws in his game just like every player (he is softer than I would like, he gives the puck away by trying to do to much).

The only reason he is seen as an addition by subtraction is he is the whipping boy on defense (and has been since day 1). He is a very good #5 defenseman an a adequate #4.

He's an average shot blocker, and his ineffectual play is why I hate watching him on the PK. He's useless when our goalies let out a rebound. He's to slow to react and if he's in the right position to separate the man from the puck he doesn't even bother to utilize his large frame.

He is addition by subtraction, unless you love watching half-ass efforts every night. At least guys like Russell and Cundari will leave it out on the ice, even if they have physical limitations. Those guys can help bring a more competitive culture to a team that is clearly lacking just that.

Good news is our team should be a hungry one next year , and they will bust there ass every game. With the exception of Butler, I'm expecting more of the same from him. When he came from being a regular 7th in BUF, you would have thought he would have taken that #4 role on the flames and worked for it. The only reason he'll be a #4 on our team this year is because he's a part of (arguably) the weakest blueline in the league.

Hopefully he proves my foreshadowing wrong.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I will admit that I am blatantly stat-watching on this, but Russell has never been a minus player over an NHL season, including his seasons with the woeful Columbus Blue Jackets. He was also a pretty good contributor on the Blues, and was pushed off the roster by the addition of two similar players. If you compare our bottom-pairing defencemen who are poor defensively, his stats are much, much better, and were even on Columbus.
You need to step up your stat watching.

Season 1: -12
Season 2: -10
Season 4: -9

and a career -10

I am also basing my opinion on actually watching him play, not on stats. He is not sound defensively.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You need to step up your stat watching.

Season 1: -12
Season 2: -10
Season 4: -9

and a career -10

I am also basing my opinion on actually watching him play, not on stats. He is not sound defensively.

:laugh: Boy, maybe I'm thinking about someone else, or else I misread the stats sheet yesterday. I clearly stand corrected.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
:laugh: Boy, maybe I'm thinking about someone else, or else I misread the stats sheet yesterday. I clearly stand corrected.
probably looked at PIM like I did the other day when talking about Yannick Weber :laugh:

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
just want to say i cant wait to see big grats smashing faces in this season! especially that punk sestito

the kids on the team will love him

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How good has he been this season? Top Pairing D-Man? 2nd pairing? #3?

Will he ever play more minutes on the PK?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
A 5th round pick can't set an NHL record in blocked shots. :sarcasm:

What a hero. Russell deserves his A without a doubt.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad