Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Kris Russel for 5th round pick

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Once again, giving away picks while rebuilding....

brilliant....

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Not sure why this was done now and not in a few days. Seems like a move you make after the free agents you want are gone.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Doesn't taking a guy off waivers change your rank in the waiver queue? I think that might have to do with why Feaster didn't claim him off waivers. He might be expecting a bigger fish to become available.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Don't mind the move at all. We could have got him off waivers but a 5th is a 5th. Solid bottom pairing guy.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Maybe he wanted Ference or Scuderi and the other D want too much, and this was his backup plan?

I'm not against acquiring Russell but when he was free on waivers two dasy ago, and Feaster must have wanted him then too...

It's like the PLL pick-up again, throwing away a 5th.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Doesn't taking a guy off waivers change your rank in the waiver queue? I think that might have to do with why Feaster didn't claim him off waivers. He might be expecting a bigger fish to become available.

It does. Don't see why people are freaking out over a 5th.

Trae

Calgary
I know its just a fifth and can easily be replaced but what the **** is Feaster doing throwing away draft picks on players he could have gotten for free. At least make it a 7th, if I were negotiating I would have simply told the GM, "Look, we know he was on waivers a couple days ago and we could have gotten him then, but the most we are willing to part with is a 7th rounder, take it or leave it."

There better be a legitimate excuse for this.

That being said, I don't mind the pickup at all, if he wasn't on waivers previous to this, I wouldn't complain at all lol.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Hey guys, just thought I'd give you guys a quick rundown of Russell.

Undersized guy, but a very good option for the bottom pairing. Should be paired with a tough, grizzly partner, someone like Polak, to be the most effective. Good first pass, but his offensive game has gone downhill a bit. Not the strongest or biggest guy out there, but can play physical in his own zone, although he's not great at it. His speed is his best asset, can fly down the ice or jump up in the rush in no time. Below average shot, but pretty accurate.

Good luck with him guys! Russell was a good player for us, just ran out of room for him.

Aug 3, 2010
A 5th for an NHL-calibre bottom pairing defenceman is a good pickup. He's 26, he's been in the show for enough years that we know what we are getting, and there's no guarantee that a 5th would ever turn out to be even half of what Kris Russell could be.

He's young-ish and he can stick with the club if he wants to through the entirety of the rebuild, and he will be just hitting his stride now as defencemen take longer to mature on average.

Not a bad pickup even considering the waiver wire.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I know its just a fifth and can easily be replaced but what the **** is Feaster doing throwing away draft picks on players he could have gotten for free. At least make it a 7th, if I were negotiating I would have simply told the GM, "Look, we know he was on waivers a couple days ago and we could have gotten him then, but the most we are willing to part with is a 7th rounder, take it or leave it."

There better be a legitimate excuse for this.

That being said, I don't mind the pickup at all, if he wasn't on waivers previous to this, I wouldn't complain at all lol.

Because it changes waiver priority.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hey guys, just thought I'd give you guys a quick rundown of Russell.

Undersized guy, but a very good option for the bottom pairing. Should be paired with a tough, grizzly partner, someone like Polak, to be the most effective. Good first pass, but his offensive game has gone downhill a bit. Not the strongest or biggest guy out there, but can play physical in his own zone, although he's not great at it. His speed is his best asset, can fly down the ice or jump up in the rush in no time. Below average shot, but pretty accurate.

Good luck with him guys! Russell was a good player for us, just ran out of room for him.

He sounds like TJ Brodie-lite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad