Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Alex Chiasson for Patrick Sieloff - Chiasson signs 1 yr, 800k

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Except it's not like we have anything to lose.
Him playing for our NHL club is a loss. Sieloff has a 2-way contract so he won't play with the Sens. Obviously not a huge loss, but a loss nonetheless.
800k is peanuts for a quy that could be a 40-pt producer which is a lot more than say Bollig has ever put up.
Lol.
Chiasson >>>> Bollig.
Is that really so? The numbers say that's not true.

(In the past three years, zone&score adjusted)

Penalty Differential
Bollig: -30
Chiasson: -23

Corsi%Rel
Bollig: -1.95
Chiasson: -2.41

Fenwick%Rel
Bollig: 0.05
Chiasson: -3.19

Goal%Rel
Bollig: -11.52
Chiasson: -10.63

xGoal%Rel
Bollig: -3.98
Chiasson: -3.39

Basically, Chiasson has an obvious offensive edge but Bollig beats defensively and that nearly even it out.

and it's much needed RW depth.
Jooris, FHamilton and Pribyl is all the right shot bottom 6 depth a team needs. The obvious issue was and still is top 6 RS talent.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He got the Setoguchi contract basically. I am willing to bet he does better as long as he still has kneecaps.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I don't love it but I don't hate it either.

I like Sieloff, but we have a lot of d prospects, and I'm not sure he'd ever play for us, even if he deserved to.

Chiasson is a bottom 6 guy, with size, but I hate that he doesn't use it. We already have a logjam of bottom 6 guys already, and I would be upset if he is anywhere near our top 6, barring a huge turn around to his Dallas days.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Chiasson was mostly used in a checking role for the Sens. I really like this deal, realistically I hope we're getting a 35-40pt winger with some size and can throw the body a little bit, and I think that's what we'll get. I think Chiasson is happy to get a fresh start in Calgary and he'll have some good mates to play with.

I liked Sieloff, but I see this as a big win. I think Chiasson will be a lot better here.

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Not too bad.. getting size on the RW as we are loaded with D. I liked Sieloff as a prospect but he was probably never going to get any time with the big club. Chiasson will be no superstar but he'll fit in well.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Chiasson was mostly used in a checking role for the Sens. I really like this deal, realistically I hope we're getting a 35-40pt winger with some size and can throw the body a little bit, and I think that's what we'll get. I think Chiasson is happy to get a fresh start in Calgary and he'll have some good mates to play with.

I liked Sieloff, but I see this as a big win. I think Chiasson will be a lot better here.

I don't see it. If he scores in the teens you will be lucky.

How would you rank his skating?

I've always thought he's a little above average.

Skating is not an issue with this guy. I think you are correct he's a little above average. Now, the problem is that everything else is below average. No wait, he's good on the boards as well.

Ottawa really got nothing from Spezza

We got Nick Paul as well. He's looking pretty good.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
It's a low risk move, so I don't care. I do think Sieloff will be a Sarich type dman. Chiasson at 800k is a good signing though.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
How would you rank his skating?

I've always thought he's a little above average.

If his motor is going, he's a completely different player, especially skating wise. He'll never be confused with a speedster, but I remember when he was in Dallas he wasn't too dissimilar to Ferland in the first round last year.

Problem is, with the Sens, he maybe had 15-20 games where his motor was going. Out of 153.

For those hoping for a 35-40 point guy, keep in mind he's only put up 40 points in the last two seasons.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
If his motor is going, he's a completely different player, especially skating wise. He'll never be confused with a speedster, but I remember when he was in Dallas he wasn't too dissimilar to Ferland in the first round last year.

Problem is, with the Sens, he maybe had 15-20 games where his motor was going. Out of 153.

For those hoping for a 35-40 point guy, keep in mind he's only put up 40 points in the last two seasons.

If he put up 20 points while being a physical presence, I'd be happy. I think a change of scenery and coming back to his old coach will spark him though. I'd guess 10g-20a

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
If he put up 20 points while being a physical presence, I'd be happy. I think a change of scenery and coming back to his old coach will spark him though. I'd guess 10g-20a

I'm hoping so.

If not, down to the minors and no real sweat off our backs.

If he bounces back, a slightly better Jackman in his career year is what you get.

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa
Ottawa really got nothing from Spezza

You are correct sir but the truth is Sens management's hands were tied.

Spezza was going to walk and Ottawa was going to get nothing.

All that's left from the Spezza trade is Nick Paul. Hopefully he reaches his ceiling.

Tampa is about to get even less for Stammer, this is how things work in the NHL.

I was no fan of Chaisson, but on the other side of the coin, our coaching has been terrible for the last 2 seasons. At 800 K you have a serviceable NHL RW that should thrive with the right players and usage.

Good luck Flames.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
Hopefully a turnaround season is upon him. This could be good asset management, by that I mean, bring him in, hope that he shows what he is capable of and, depending on your other depth coming up through the system, you may be able to deal him at the trade deadline for a decent return. If he returns to what he was showing in Dallas the return could be substantial and help the long term.

Of course this assumes we are on the outside looking in this coming season.

Or we find out he is worth locking up long term, either way it is a low risk gamble that certainly could pay off in spades. For the price, even if he ***** the bed, it is still good asset management as Seiloff wasn't going to ever play on this team so get something for him while doing him a solid.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Again, I'm betting on him rebounding. I think it's likely under a familiar coach who he had success with and just a fresh start. He's only a couple of years removed from showing some very positive play. Guys like him and Ferland just have to learn how to sustain that over an 82 game season. The talent is there, hopefully he comes in motivated.

even if he's a 10-15 goal guy that hits hard in our bottom six I'll love this trade.

moon*

Good move.

Seiloff wasn't just passed by guys who were better than him he had a hard time earning a full time gig on a pretty mediocre defensive group over the past couple of years. He really has shown zero reason to think he will stick at the AHL and absolutely nothing that should make people think he could ever be an NHL guy.

I have read the thread and really don't understand what is not to like about the Chiasson addition. At worst he is an upgrade on Bollig, Jooris, Ferland, Hathaway and the other wingers down in the AHL. At best he has shown some offensive skills so maybe he can find a fit with this team.

Depending on what we do in FA and where we may have to play Frolik I think Chiasson could be a good fit on a traditional style "3rd line" playing a defensive role against the other teams top lines.

Ideally I love to see him as a guy that does the dirty work in the corners, along the boards and in front of the net for Mony and Gaudreau but I think that is a little optimistic looking at his more recent numbers.

The good news is that it isn't like the Sens are shinning star on how to develop or use guys properly so lots of reasons to believe he can be more like the guy in Dallas than Ottawa.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I would absolutely try him in the top 6, even the topline. We don't need a star to play there. I'm pretty stoked we got Chiasson.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I hope the Chiasson move means Treliving has learned from the Raymond signing that you don't sign those types of players to big deals as there are lots of those guys around for cheap or on shorter deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00