Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Alex Chiasson for Patrick Sieloff - Chiasson signs 1 yr, 800k

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I predict he gets 14 points next season.

Hopefully he reads HF and I just gave him the motivation to prove me wrong and he goes out and wins the Art Ross.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It's incredible seeing how many people seem to be penciling him into the top line.

I am not going to say it won't happen or it is impossible, but could someone explain to me why they think he will play on the top line?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It's incredible seeing how many people seem to be penciling him into the top line.

I am not going to say it won't happen or it is impossible, but could someone explain to me why they think he will play on the top line?

Cause we have no one else good to pencil in?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Because everyone will get a shot in the revolving door spot that is the top line RW position. :laugh:

Unless we sign Okposo or something, I imagine everyone will get a look next to Monahan and Gaudreau until something works.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Cause we have no one else good to pencil in?

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense.

We may not have anyone 'good' to pencil in there but putting one of our worst options there doesn't absolve that.

We have other options who have played in the top 6 who I would think will get a look there first.

I agree we will probably see a revolving door of players this season on the top-6 wings. People just seem to have very unrealistic expectations for Chiasson for some reason.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Why don't you all just wait to see how Chiasson comes out of the gate this year. I'll say at this point he is a complete enigma. I'm not sold on his tire fire time with the sens, nor am I enamored with his brief success in Dallas (but it proves he does have the capability to excel in the right environment).

It's wait and see. However, ideally, we sign a legit top 6 option and keep chiasson in the bottom 6 where I believe his skillset is best served.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Unless the Flames sign on of Eriksson, Okposo, Perron or Lucic, then it's a safe bet that Chiasson will get a look on the top line. As will Pribyl. And Ferland. Hathaway. Colborne if he comes back. Shinkaruk too. And why not Poirier? But whether or not any of them stick is another matter entirely.

The fixation around the idea that only "legitimate" top line players should play on the top is hilariously outdated and simply unrealistic in the cap world. Want to load up the top line with Gaudreau, Monahan and Bennett? Congrats, now the team has terrible secondary scoring.

If Chiasson can return to playing like he was in Dallas, then he actually might not be a terrible fit on the top line. But obviously that's a big if.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Unless the Flames sign on of Eriksson, Okposo, Perron or Lucic, then it's a safe bet that Chiasson will get a look on the top line. As will Pribyl. And Ferland. Hathaway. Colborne if he comes back. Shinkaruk too. And why not Poirier? But whether or not any of them stick is another matter entirely.

The fixation around the idea that only "legitimate" top line players should play on the top is hilariously outdated and simply unrealistic in the cap world. Want to load up the top line with Gaudreau, Monahan and Bennett? Congrats, now the team has terrible secondary scoring.

If Chiasson can return to playing like he was in Dallas, then he actually might not be a terrible fit on the top line. But obviously that's a big if.

No one has suggested that. There is a big difference between suggesting Chiasson will get a 'look' on the top line, and penciling him in there to start the season though. If you think he will start the season there, some reasoning beyond 'our other players are bad' is warranted.

There is also something to be said about not tying our top two producing players to someone who can't play up to their level, and bringing the whole line down.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Fans perceive "scrub-cycling" an act of desperation by teams that lack talent, but really it's a strategy coaches employ to keep giving their top lines different looks against different opponents while having their "skill pair" stay together for chemistry reasons.

I agree.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Calculon makes a lot of good points. He adds size to the top 6, he's been playing a more defensive style for the Sens, so he's been working on his 2-way game. He has shown he can score in the past. He doesn't need to be Monahan or Gaudreau, he needs to play his role.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Come on...some people sound desperate

He sucked for 2 yrs as a Sens. He is not going to turn into a top 6 player because he switches team.

Remember Mason Raymond? Miracle happens rarely.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
top 6 forward Chiasson? Great idea as long as he's paired with Backlund to sell him off at the TDL. Otherwise he will kill off Monahan's and maybe even Gaudreau's offense.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think Chiasson is going to have a rebound year. He played his best hockey under Gully in Dallas. New team - old coach. Its not too late for him to turn it around.

As for Sieloff, he was never going to crack the Flames D corp. Good asset management by Tree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad